Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton and the Read
Dalton ran the read with Hill and Gio as well if not better than some of his other more heralded peers. It first randomly appeared and worked towards the end of 2013 and continued to throughout 2014.

I think it's a gimmick offense, and could kill a qb, but defenses seem to respect Dalton, and not try to kill him like they do IRGIII.

It was impressive towards the end of last season, and I surprisingly look forward to more of it. It adds an element to the run game, takes advantage of one of Daltons strengths in ball handling, and mobility, and the offense isn't reliant on it so can maintain it's effectiveness.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2015, 11:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dalton ran the read with Hill and Gio as well if not better than some of his other more heralded peers. It first randomly appeared and worked towards the end of 2013 and continued to throughout 2014.

I think it's a gimmick offense, and could kill a qb, but defenses seem to respect Dalton, and not try to kill him like they do IRGIII.

It was impressive towards the end of last season, and I surprisingly look forward to more of it. It adds an element to the run game, takes advantage of one of Daltons strengths in ball handling, and mobility, and the offense isn't reliant on it so can maintain it's effectiveness.

I can go along with mixing it in on occasion here and there just to give D's something else to think about.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2015, 11:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dalton ran the read with Hill and Gio as well if not better than some of his other more heralded peers. It first randomly appeared and worked towards the end of 2013 and continued to throughout 2014.

I've always thought it was a decent idea to put those plays into the offense. Go back to Dalton's college tape. He was an option master back at TCU, its actually suprising to see how often he held the ball and picked up 7-10 yards for a first down. Our QB is pretty tough as nails really, he has the quality of almost never getting hurt, I don't see why we don't do it more often....

If he does get hurt... well we get to try McCarron and everyone is happy right? haha
Reply/Quote
Good play 2 or 3 times a game.

More than that is a bad idea.
Reply/Quote
What if the QB was 6'4" 230lbs+ and ran a 4.3 40 and could chuck it deep?
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see more passing elements of the spread than running, but like others said, it's a nice wrinkle to put in the opponents minds
Reply/Quote
It worked pretty well at times but I can also remember feeling like it was getting used too often in a few games.
Reply/Quote
That just makes me think of that fumble against Indy in the playoffs when he pulled the ball back out after giving it to Hill.

Of course that's what I immediately comes to mind. Might not ever happen again.

RGIII was running the read all the time and he's only a so-so passer with fewer weapons, so teams were keying on him. Big difference when you've got superior weapons all around.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2015, 04:27 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: What if the QB was 6'4" 230lbs+ and ran a 4.3 40 and could chuck it deep?

Dispossible. No such being has ever existed.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 08:43 AM)BengalChris Wrote: That just makes me think of that fumble against Indy in the playoffs when he pulled the ball back out after giving it to Hill.

Of course that's what I immediately comes to mind. Might not ever happen again.

RGIII was running the read all the time and he's only a so-so passer with fewer weapons, so teams were keying on him. Big difference when you've got superior weapons all around.

I guess we should never throw the ball again too because all I see are high throws from Andy.

Let's face it, mistakes are going to happen, doesn't mean we can play scared.
Reply/Quote
Dalton is waaaay more athletic than most give him credit for.
Also the guy is tough and willing to sell out his body to make a play.

I say keep the RO in the playbook but limit it here and there.
Just another tool in the tool kit.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 12:19 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I guess we should never throw the ball again too because all I see are high throws from Andy.

Let's face it, mistakes are going to happen, doesn't mean we can play scared.

VERY frustrated with all the high balls - especially after meeting with House in last years off season.

The hope I hold out is that Boomer had several years of throwing high balls.  Frustrated me then too.  He eventually settled down.  And his last shot with us was incredibly accurate.   Boy how I wish Mr. Brown had paid for him to forego MNF.   But that's another thread.

I'm hoping Andy gets his act together and stops sailing the ball when he is stressed.
Reply/Quote
The Bronco's game highlighted how effective he is with the read option. If we stay run heavy, then we should take advantage of his ball skills and run the read more often.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with us running the option 1-2 times a game. It keeps a team honest and makes future opponents have to consider when game planning. Dalton was pretty good running the ball in college so it'd be foolish if we took it away all together.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2015, 07:23 PM)3wt Wrote: VERY frustrated with all the high balls - especially after meeting with House in last years off season.

The hope I hold out is that Boomer had several years of throwing high balls.  Frustrated me then too.  He eventually settled down.  And his last shot with us was incredibly accurate.   Boy how I wish Mr. Brown had paid for him to forego MNF.   But that's another thread.

I'm hoping Andy gets his act together and stops sailing the ball when he is stressed.

A lot of the issues with overthrowing could most likely be fixed with properly stepping up in the pocket while delivering.
Reply/Quote