Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton for Ngakoue Pipe Dream?
Obviously would never happen ... but the pieces fit in theory.

As we all know, Yannick Ngakoue is one of the better pass rushers in the NFL, averaging 9 sacks/season. 25 yrs old. He's been franchised, but wants a new contract and out of Jacksonville. Rumor is he wants something in the neighborhood of $22 mil/yr, which is ridiculous -- Lawrence and Frank Clark get $21 mil, all other DEs are $18 mil and below per year.

Jacksonville has traded Foles, leaving them with Minshew. They need a QB. Dalton had his best years with Jay Gruden, who is Jacksonville's new OC. Problem is they want a king's ransom for Ngakoue -- rumor is that the current asking price is two firsts. Likely floor is a first and a second.

If Bengals draft Burrow, they don't need Dalton. Also don't need to pay him $18 mil to back up a rookie.

Assuming Ngakoue could be signed to a reasonable deal -- maybe $15-16 mil/yr? I'm not sure he's worth top-10 money, as he's only been in the top-10 for sacks one year -- would you give up Dalton and our 2nd for him? Not sure it would work under the cap, and not really a position of need either, but with Reader/Geno/Dunlap we'd sure have a loaded D-line.
Reply/Quote
Or maybe not -- I just realized that Clowney is only 27 and still a FA. Less production, but probably could be had for cheaper, AND you wouldn't have to give up a second.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 11:34 AM)shanebo Wrote: Or maybe not -- I just realized that Clowney is only 27 and still a FA.  Less production, but probably could be had for cheaper, AND you wouldn't have to give up a second.

Clowney found out his asking price of a king's ransom is too much for teams as well. He'll probably sign back with Seattle for a 1 year prove it deal and try again next year.
Reply/Quote
Note to Clowney--if you as a DE want the big bucks, figure out a way to deliver more than three sacks a year and they'll be lining up with checkbooks.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This is a pipe dream. We’d be lucky to get a 3rd for them at this point. I think they can get more than a 3rd for Yannick.

That would also mean we’d have to trade Carlos. I don’t see all of that happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I honestly don't see Andy traded for anything other draft picks.
Reply/Quote
Plural?

Reply/Quote
I don't see it for the simple reason that even if Jacksonville agreed to a deal, we just wouldn't have the cap to get a deal done with him. He's going to want big money.

Like another poster said, bringing in a guy like that almost certainly would indicate a corresponding cut of a current player with a big contract like Geno or Carlos. Even with Andy's deal off the books, it would be a little tight.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 12:58 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I honestly don't see Andy traded for anything other draft picks.

Fixed  Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 01:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Plural?  

I didn't realize I made it plural. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fixed  Smirk

I still think there is a chance
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 01:57 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't see it for the simple reason that even if Jacksonville agreed to a deal, we just wouldn't have the cap to get a deal done with him.  He's going to want big money.  

Like another poster said, bringing in a guy like that almost certainly would indicate a corresponding cut of a current player with a big contract like Geno or Carlos.  Even with Andy's deal off the books, it would be a little tight.

exactly
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 02:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I still think there is a chance

Only if there’s multiple teams in the market of wanting to pick him up. Chargers? Patriots? Jaguars? Redskins?

It probably wouldn’t happen until after the draft.

I can see the patriots picking up a Jordan Love/Jake Fromm/Jacob Eason

Redskins can probably have their pick of QB after Burrow unless someone trades up. I personally would move on from Haskins. Never thought he was an NFL caliber QB, but they did blow a first rounder on him. Maybe if they can find a trade partner and if Rivera wants someone else? I think they possibly trade down and stick with Haskins though in all honesty. That’s why he picked up Kyle Allen for insurance.

I think the Chargers like Herbert. Or possibly an Eason or Love and roll with Taylor.

Jaguars I think legitimately like Minshew but they definitely need some competition to push him. But I don’t think that 17 million for someone to compete is the way to go. They might take someone if they fall into their lap or more likely sign a cam newton or Jameis Winston.

If we can get to the post draft with 2 teams looking for a QB we could work out a trade otherwise if it’s just one team or none with a glaring need they’ll just wait until we cut him.
Reply/Quote
Dalton straight up for Norwell would be better for both teams and both players, js.  The Jags sound like they're overvaluing Ngakoue because of his age.  It wouldn't shock me if Dalton's asking price was just too damn unrealistic based upon salary/age and bias from the Palmer holdout.  
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 03:18 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Dalton straight up for Norwell would be better for both teams and both players, js.  The Jags sound like they're overvaluing Ngakoue because of his age.  It wouldn't shock me if Dalton's asking price was just too damn unrealistic based upon salary/age and bias from the Palmer holdout.  

For that reason, it makes more sense to persue Clowney since his price has dropped.  Cincy is front loading deals, so even without a physical they may consider it if not to keep him from Cleveland.  
Reply/Quote
We have Hubbard/Lawson? We don't really need a DE.
I'd rather we use some of ADs money to sign Peter's to play RT.
Reply/Quote
I don't think the odds are great that we trade Dalton at this point. BUT what works in our favor is that the two teams we're most likely to trade him to, the Pats and Jags, both have franchise players who could be traded (Thuney only rumored as such in NE but Ngakoue is on the block in Jax). So the next shoe(s) to drop in this quest are those teams trading those players to create cap room. No, we're not trading for Ngakoue. Just not a great fit here. But they both need to clear cap room for AD's salary... 17M is a lot.

Also: https://nfltraderumors.co/jaguars-dl-calais-campbell-c-brandon-linder-g-andrew-norwell-also-drawing-trade-interest/

Norwell and Linder were rumored to be on the block, and this rumor comes from Jason LaCanfora, as recently as early March. I just don't see why we can't trade Dalton for one of them and a pick (because QBs are more valuable than guards). If it creates a hole for the Jags, we can offer them B. Price for a late pick, or whatever. But we probably won't because we don't pay high dollar for interior lineman, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 04:18 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I don't think the odds are great that we trade Dalton at this point. BUT what works in our favor is that the two teams we're most likely to trade him to, the Pats and Jags, both have franchise players who could be traded (Thuney only rumored as such in NE but Ngakoue is on the block in Jax). So the next shoe(s) to drop in this quest are those teams trading those players to create cap room. No, we're not trading for Ngakoue. Just not a great fit here. But they both need to clear cap room for AD's salary... 17M is a lot.

Also: https://nfltraderumors.co/jaguars-dl-calais-campbell-c-brandon-linder-g-andrew-norwell-also-drawing-trade-interest/

Norwell and Linder were rumored to be on the block, and this rumor comes from Jason LaCanfora, as recently as early March. I just don't see why we can't trade Dalton for one of them and a pick (because QBs are more valuable than guards). If it creates a hole for the Jags, we can offer them B. Price for a late pick, or whatever. But we probably won't because we don't pay high dollar for interior lineman, I guess.

From what I keep seeing, the idea is that Jax will draft one of the QBs in the first(they have the draft capital to do it) and go with Mustache until the rookie is ready.   There isn't enough difference between AD and Minshew to want to take on Dalton's salary.  They could redo his deal, but all in all, it wouldn't make much sense to add Dalton to the Dalton-ish guy they already have who costs a lot less.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 04:28 PM)McC Wrote: From what I keep seeing, the idea is that Jax will draft one of the QBs in the first(they have the draft capital to do it) and go with Mustache until the rookie is ready.   There isn't enough difference between AD and Minshew to want to take on Dalton's salary.  They could redo his deal, but all in all, it wouldn't make much sense to add Dalton to the Dalton-ish guy they already have who costs a lot less.

I don't know, Minshew is still an upside-ish guy, and to spend draft capital to move up for another upside guy seems the redundant thing. Minshew still has a low floor and high ceiling... seems like a vet with a high floor and low ceiling (Dalton) is what they'd want. 

I too have seen a few suggestions that they'll trade up, but never really bought it. 
Reply/Quote
I’d offer Dalton, 2020 3rd, and 2021 5th for him...
Reply/Quote