Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton or Luck?
So I just got ridiculed on another MB (non-football) for saying I wouldn't trade Dalton for Luck. I wouldn't even trade him straight up for Luck tbh. But then the idea was suggested that a trade of Luck for Andy & AJ was still lopsided in favor of the Bengals. Wtf? Am I taking crazy pills? I'm curious as to how many here would do either of those deals?

To me, Dalton continues to be one of the most underrated QBs in the league. I don't think people who don't regularly watch the Bengals  (outside of playoff games) know how good he really is. Did Luck ever have an MVP caliber season like Dalton was having last year? Is it still hype from college, and being drafted #1? Or is he clearly far better than Dalton? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
People are dumb, they just want to imagine some scenario where they have A.J. Green. They just jelly.
Reply/Quote
Luck is just above average at this point

So is Dalton
Reply/Quote
Marvin went to the playoffs twice in 8 years before the redhead showed up. 5 of 5 since. Forget the playoffs right now, this QB is a winner. You can't teach those things. I expect AD to get us over the hunp
Reply/Quote
I remember Luck was a HoF QB before he was even drafted. People who dont know football haven't adapted their perception.

I dont think he's a bust at all but Dalton is closer playing at HoF level then Luck is.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:37 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I remember Luck was a HoF QB before he was even drafted. People who dont know football haven't adapted their perception.

I dont think he's a bust at all but Dalton is closer playing at HoF level then Luck is.

He is not a bust but i agree not playing at the expectation level of the 1st pick in the 1st round .. Dalton is playing at a different level
Reply/Quote
If people knew at their drafts how they would play as pros, Luck would have been the second round pick and Andy would have gone #1 in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So I just got ridiculed on another MB (non-football) for saying I wouldn't trade Dalton for Luck. I wouldn't even trade him straight up for Luck tbh. But then the idea was suggested that a trade of Luck for Andy & AJ was still lopsided in favor of the Bengals. Wtf? Am I taking crazy pills? I'm curious as to how many here would do either of those deals?

To me, Dalton continues to be one of the most underrated QBs in the league. I don't think people who don't regularly watch the Bengals  (outside of playoff games) know how good he really is. Did Luck ever have an MVP caliber season like Dalton was having last year? Is it still hype from college, and being drafted #1? Or is he clearly far better than Dalton? 

As much as i despise him, there's no denying Luck is much more of a physical specimen. Bigger, stronger arm. Dalton compensates that by reading defenses and throwing the ball where it should go quickly. 

There's no telling what this team could do with Luck, but if i had to bet money, i'd still say they would have an equal or better amount of wins, with more primetime  and playoff victories. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He is not a bust but i agree not playing at the expectation level of the 1st pick in the 1st round .. Dalton is playing at a different level

Its hard to judge Luck compared to Dalton because Dalton has had a pretty solid group around him all of his career were Luck has no help other then Hilton. I think it's obvious though he is no Manning or Brady like people had hoped.

I bet Luck is kicking himself for not coming out when Carolina had the #1 pick Indy is failing at letting him reach his potential.
Reply/Quote
Luck is a turnover machine.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:57 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Its hard to judge Luck compared to Dalton because Dalton has had a pretty solid group around him all of his career were Luck has no help other then Hilton. I think it's obvious though he is no Manning or Brady like people had hoped.

I bet Luck is kicking himself for not coming out when Carolina had the #1 pick Indy is failing at letting him reach his potential.

I've always said i don't think he has the mental ability to get the job done, against good teams, when his team needs it most. Don't get me wrong, i know he's smart--Stanford grad, yadda yadda--but he doesn't have that trait the best of the best have to deliver the kill shot. 

I saw it back in the bowl game where Brandon Weeden and OSU beat Stanford and i've seen it in playoff games where the other team wasn't decimated by injuries. He folds like a wet paper bag. 

He's a lot like Dalton. Potentially great in the regular season...not so much in the post season. I could see Dalton getting over that hump before Luck. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Luck is better than Dalton but I wouldn't trade Dalton for him especially if AJ Green is in the deal.
1.) Lucks contact is way more expensive.
2.) While I think luck is better I don't think the gap is that extensive.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As much as i despise him, there's no denying Luck is much more of a physical specimen. Bigger, stronger arm. Dalton compensates that by reading defenses and throwing the ball where it should go quickly. 

There's no telling what this team could do with Luck, but if i had to bet money, i'd still say they would have an equal or better amount of wins, with more primetime  and playoff victories. 
This.

The colts have done Luck no favors these last few years. He doesn't have a whole lot to work with. Andy would struggle mightily on that team.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Except for last year's fluke injury, Dalton has stayed much healthier than Luck too. Lots of factors to consider, other than just size, raw talent, etc.

Reply/Quote
I think the better Andy(rew) is on the Bengals. Luck has not looked good this year. The Bengals Oline has let us down for 3 of the first 4 games. Still, Dalton has won 2 games and not much of a running attack. Luck can stay in Indy.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I rather have Andy, Andy gets so much scrutiny for what he has to go through..

He's earned my respect the past 2 years...

I still remember the days of when there was a thread about getting rid of Dalton every day Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
In Andy's first couple of years you could see that he was just a kid and the team only did what they had to do to win without any leadership from him. But in the last couple of years I can see where he has matured as a leader of the offense and that the team follows his lead. I think he has become way more intelligent in reading defenses and putting players in the right spots. Luck's first couple of years were impressive but as they have lost some good players it seems to be harder and harder for him to thrive.
Reply/Quote
Luck has not played well this year and played poorly last year before he got hurt. And he has had decent offensive talent around him his whole career.

Contrary to the thoughts of some Andy started out with pretty much him and AJ Green. Jones and Sanu took time to develop and before Eifert we had zero pass catching capability at TE. Add in that we have never had a good running game the entire time he has been here and that Andy because of where he plays sees far tougher defenses most every year and it is no contest. Luck has usually padded his stats against bad defenses (which he sees a lot of because aside from the Texans the AFC South is a defensive joke).
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So I just got ridiculed on another MB (non-football) for saying I wouldn't trade Dalton for Luck. I wouldn't even trade him straight up for Luck tbh. But then the idea was suggested that a trade of Luck for Andy & AJ was still lopsided in favor of the Bengals. Wtf? Am I taking crazy pills? I'm curious as to how many here would do either of those deals?

Luck has been carrying the Colts on his sasquatch-like back this year because they lack so much talent across the board.

Having said that, for the Cincinnati, there is no better quarterback than Andy Dalton for this team. Not to say he's the best in the league, but he is absolutely perfect for this organization.

He has the right attitude, the confidence, the orange hair, and his passer rating is over 93 on the year after being ~ 106 last year. When his weapons are on the field, he is near unstoppable.

Luck is top 10 easily, maybe top 5. However, Dalton seems to have destiny with the Bengals. His grit when he is on the field actually has me confident as a fan. He plays through tough situations instead of folding whatsoever. Hard to find guys like that.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 09:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Except for last year's fluke injury, Dalton has stayed much healthier than Luck too. Lots of factors to consider, other than just size, raw talent, etc.

BINGO!!!  Durability!  Dalton and Flacco very durable QBs. 
Reply/Quote