Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Dalton our Hasselbeck?
I was talking with my friend the other day who has been a lifelong Seattle fan, and we were making a comparison between Dalton and Hasselbeck. Both guys turned terrible franchises around into decent ones. I can remember a time when the Seahawks were much like us, they were constantly on the cusp of making the playoffs or losing in the wildcard round.

Hasselbeck one time said "We want the ball, we are going to score" after winning the coin toss in overtime. He then tossed a pick 6 to give the game away to the Packers, which is something I can almost envision happening to Dalton! Just imagine how the fans would react lol. Both guys have a knack for making boneheaded plays at bad moments.

In the end, Hasselbeck did get the team to the superbowl, which gives me a little faith in Dalton, even if the Seahawks did get screwed by the Steelers and Refs when they were there (something we are familiar with as well).

Both guys are average QBs, who helped struggling franchises, but still relied heavily on their teammates, and couldn't necessarily carry the team alone. Hasselbeck had Sean Alexander, and hopefully our Jeremy Hill will have similar success, for a longer period of time.

With both guys, it is tough to argue they are anything more than average, but have the capability of helping your team win consistently. In the end, with both guys, the conversations usually end with their hairstyle.

Does this give anyone hope that Dalton can pull it together, or should we move on and look for our Russel Wilson?
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 01:38 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I was talking with my friend the other day who has been a lifelong Seattle fan, and we were making a comparison between Dalton and Hasselbeck. Both guys turned terrible franchises around into decent ones. I can remember a time when the Seahawks were much like us, they were constantly on the cusp of making the playoffs or losing in the wildcard round.

Hasselbeck one time said "We want the ball, we are going to score" after winning the coin toss in overtime. He then tossed a pick 6 to give the game away to the Packers, which is something I can almost envision happening to Dalton! Just imagine how the fans would react lol. Both guys have a knack for making boneheaded plays at bad moments.

In the end, Hasselbeck did get the team to the superbowl, which gives me a little faith in Dalton, even if the Seahawks did get screwed by the Steelers and Refs when they were there (something we are familiar with as well).

Both guys are average QBs, who helped struggling franchises, but still relied heavily on their teammates, and couldn't necessarily carry the team alone. Hasselbeck had Sean Alexander, and hopefully our Jeremy Hill will have similar success, for a longer period of time.

With both guys, it is tough to argue they are anything more than average, but have the capability of helping your team win consistently. In the end, with both guys, the conversations usually end with their hairstyle.    

Does this give anyone hope that Dalton can pull it together, or should we move on and look for our Russel Wilson?

Hasselbeck had a better OL, and a HoF RB too. I think that's the year Alexander had a 1,800 rushing yard year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've always thought Hasslbeck and Rich Gannon were good comparisons. They both made it to Super Bowls later in their careers too.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 03:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Hasselbeck had a better OL, and a HoF RB too. I think that's the year Alexander had a 1,800 rushing yard year.

Which is what I think the front office was going for this year. We have what we hope to be our HoF RB in Hill. Now we are beefing up the line.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 03:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Hasselbeck had a better OL, and a HoF RB too. I think that's the year Alexander had a 1,800 rushing yard year.

Better OL and HOF running back
Yeah man our OL and RB sucks.
(Sarcasm)
We have one of the best O lines in the league

1st two pick this year O line
Zeitler a first
Smth a first
Countless third and fourth round interior linemen
Whitworth anchoring everything down

And then on running backs, I wouldn't say HOF material but we have one of the better running back stables in the league. Our line and our backs hold no president when it comes to issues with dalton. His faults are his own. He gets no excuses
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 03:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Hasselbeck had a better OL

Hell no, not even close.

WJ = Whitworth at this point.
Hutch > Boling, even though Hutch and Faneca are the most overrated lineman of my generation.
Tobeck > Bodine
Zeitler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chris Gray
'dre>>>>>> Locklear

At the absolute worst, they had one better, but they are completely even with us.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 05:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hell no, not even close.

WJ = Whitworth at this point.
Hutch > Boling, even though Hutch and Faneca are the most overrated lineman of my generation.
Tobeck > Bodine
Zeitler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chris Gray
'dre>>>>>> Locklear

At the absolute worst, they had one better, but they are completely even with us.

I think our line is better than seattle's back then.... But Walter Jones was better that Whit. WJ is a hall of famer. Whit won't make it. I love whit but he isn't WJ.
Reply/Quote
Wow you guys really think that our OL is better than the seahawks back in the mid 2000s? You guys are out of your mind. Our OL is pretty good, but it's laughable to even think it was as good as theirs. We have had horrible center play for years, and bodine comes in and plays mediocre. he played good for a rookie, but that's about all you can say about him.

You guys overrate whittworth so much if you think he's the same as WJ. The same with Boling.

Gray, and Locklear I will give you, but everyone else was way better than our guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 03:23 PM)CinciREborn Wrote: Better OL and HOF running back
Yeah man our OL and RB sucks.
(Sarcasm)
We have one of the best O lines in the league

1st two pick this year O line
Zeitler a first
Smth a first
Countless third and fourth round interior linemen
Whitworth anchoring everything down

And then on running backs, I wouldn't say HOF material but we have one of the better running back stables in the league. Our line and our backs hold no president when it comes to issues with dalton. His faults are his own. He gets no excuses

Did I say our OL sucked? No, I didn't. Also why do you think Dalton has had good RBs his whole career? Last year was the only year that our running game was good. Hell I would say our running game sucked his first 3 years. Alexander had 1800+ yards and 27 TDs the year they went to the SB. Yeah way worse than us right.
Reply/Quote
No, Dalton isn't really our Hasselbeck. Honestly, Dalton's play reminds me a lot of Drew Brees.

I know people here might laugh at that, but look at Drew Brees earlier in his career. He was nowhere near what he is now. But, they're both pretty similar.

Both can throw a ton of touchdowns but also throw dumb interceptions. Both are gun-sligners (hated how they tried to make Dalton a game manager).

If you look earlier in Brees' career, he has a very similar style to Dalton. Except Dalton is more mobile.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 08:24 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: No, Dalton isn't really our Hasselbeck. Honestly, Dalton's play reminds me a lot of Drew Brees.

I know people here might laugh at that, but look at Drew Brees earlier in his career. He was nowhere near what he is now. But, they're both pretty similar.

Both can throw a ton of touchdowns but also throw dumb interceptions. Both are gun-sligners (hated how they tried to make Dalton a game manager).

If you look earlier in Brees' career, he has a very similar style to Dalton. Except Dalton is more mobile.

I can agree with this to an extent. I think having an offensive minded coach like Sean Peyton or Mike McCarthy would make a significant difference in his success.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 08:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I can agree with this to an extent. I think having an offensive minded coach like Sean Peyton or Mike McCarthy would make a significant difference in his success.

Correct. I'm not comparing the two right now or even recent Brees, but both have a similar play and Brees certainly had his struggles early on in his career.

Just let Dalton be a gun-slinger. He's proven he will make mistakes, might as well get him to his ceiling as well instead of limit it.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 12:38 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Which is what I think the front office was going for this year. We have what we hope to be our HoF RB in Hill. Now we are beefing up the line.

I think Hill could be a HoF RB if he stays healthy.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 07:54 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Wow you guys really think that our OL is better than the seahawks back in the mid 2000s? You guys are out of your mind. Our OL is pretty good, but it's laughable to even think it was as good as theirs. We have had horrible center play for years, and bodine comes in and plays mediocre. he played good for a rookie, but that's about all you can say about him.

You guys overrate whittworth so much if you think he's the same as WJ. The same with Boling.

Gray, and Locklear I will give you, but everyone else was way better than our guys.

I agree. Whit is = to WJ in pass pro, but WJ was an amazing run blocker, Whit is average in that category.

I'd take that Seattle line over ours probably. I'd also take our 2005 line over this one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
To answer your question; we should try and upgrade the position. I think Dalton can keep this team competitive during the regular season but QB play in the playoffs is imperative if you want to advance.

Bottom line is it's very hard to win championships with mediocre QBs like Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 11:25 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Correct. I'm not comparing the two right now or even recent Brees, but both have a similar play and Brees certainly had his struggles early on in his career.

Just let Dalton be a gun-slinger. He's proven he will make mistakes, might as well get him to his ceiling as well instead of limit it.

You might be on to something here wolf ! After the NE game last season one could see Andy's confidence slipping away. I'm not sure what the answer is but what they were doing last year obviously didn't work.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 11:25 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Correct. I'm not comparing the two right now or even recent Brees, but both have a similar play and Brees certainly had his struggles early on in his career.

I liked aggressive Dalton better than passive Dalton. Assuming everyone stays relatively healthy, this is by far his best alignment of weapons.

Kill the smart QB inside of him, and let the wild crazy ginger gunslinger be born.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 12:31 AM)Stormborn Wrote: I liked aggressive Dalton better than passive Dalton. Assuming everyone stays relatively healthy, this is by far his best alignment of weapons.

Kill the smart QB inside of him, and let the wild crazy ginger gunslinger be born.

What comes off as 'smart'?

'crazy gunslinger'...seen that too when the team chokes and abandons the running game which then the coaches allow him to throw interceptions.

Andy should just hand off, then have the element of surprise in his back pocket if he can complete a 30/40 yard pass when called upon.

Using Andy less and less is a good thing.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 12:53 AM)B=======D Wrote: What comes off as 'smart'?

'crazy gunslinger'...seen that too when the team chokes and abandons the running game which then the coaches allow him to throw interceptions.

Andy should just hand off, then have the element of surprise in his back pocket if he can complete a 30/40 yard pass when called upon.

Using Andy less and less is a good thing.

Dalton has proven he can sling it. Even without a good run game. Dalton has only had a solid run game last year. Dalton would do just fine if we have him the ball a lot.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 01:16 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dalton has proven he can sling it. Even without a good run game. Dalton has only had a solid run game last year. Dalton would do just fine if we have him the ball a lot.

If the game comes down to him throwing us to victory... I don't have much confidence.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote