Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton real close to 30,000 yds, 200 td
Used to be a pretty exclusive club.  Over the first 70 years of the league there were only 9, but since 1990 there have been 28 more.  Still impressive to join a club of only 37.  Dalton's yards per game would rank 17th of the 37.

Dalton only needs 1900 yds and 12 tds.

Kind of OT, but didn't Palmer get booed when he passed some landmark like 20,000 passing yards?
Reply/Quote
Carson Palmer booed in 2010 when he passed 20,000 passing yards in a loss to Tampa Bay. He had thrown a pick six earlier in the game.
Reply/Quote
Now if he can just get that elusive playoff win.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
HoF.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Carson Palmer booed in 2010 when he passed 20,000 passing yards in a loss to Tampa Bay.  He had thrown a pick six earlier in the game.

If it's the Tampa Bay game that I remember, fans were pissed. A guy a row or two in front of me literally ripped his Palmer jersey off and through it over the railing to the level below. It's the game that always comes to my mind when people start waxing poetic about Carson.
Reply/Quote
The game was tied late and we were going for a FG and got intercepted and they kicked a FG.

IIRC we had another game against Tampa end weird where instead of running out the clock we got aggressive and turned the ball over and they beat us too.
Reply/Quote
[Image: nTE6AN6.gif]

Reply/Quote
Don’t care about stats just care about winning.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 08:23 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Don’t care about stats just care about winning.

So you care about winning or losing right? Then you should have no problem with Dalton. Dalton is very close to players like Rivers, Ryan, Alex Smith, Drew Brees, and Wentz when it comes to winning % and is above players like Eli Manning, Newton, and Stafford when it comes to winning %.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 01:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IIRC we had another game against Tampa end weird where instead of running out the clock we got aggressive and turned the ball over and they beat us too.

That was the same game.

Up by 7 with 2:30 left.  Instead of playing it safe on a difficult 3-13 Palmer tried to force it to TO and it was picked.  Tampa quickly scored a td to tie the game.  Then as he tried to drive for a go ahead FG Carson threw another pick with 25 seconds left that allowed Tampa Bay to kick the game winning FG. 

Three picks.  One returned for a td and two others that lead to the game tying and game winning scores in the final 2 minutes.

And the Defending AFC North champs who had added the big "missing piece" with the signing of Terrell Owens, were 2-3 after back-to-back losses to the lowly Browns and Bucs.  Those games had been marked as "sure wins".

Not a great day to celebrate a milestone accomplishment.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 08:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: HoF.

It isn't that outlandish...not based on the current, but with a real coaching staff and if he gets a Championship, his numbers will be up there with those in consideration.  He also has a healthy number of 4th quarter comebacks.  
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Carson Palmer booed in 2010 when he passed 20,000 passing yards in a loss to Tampa Bay.  He had thrown a pick six earlier in the game.

The booing was all disappointment for the way Palmer was carrying himself that year. He wanted out of Cincinnati and he was very vocal about it. It was sort of a slap in the face for the fans. The fans weren't booking his accomplishments. They were booing his character. Plus, for a QB who wanted out, this could be perceived as a QB throwing the game. Kind of like, "You don't want to be here? Then GTFO!"

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 12:59 AM)NKURyan Wrote: If it's the Tampa Bay game that I remember, fans were pissed. A guy a row or two in front of me literally ripped his Palmer jersey off and through it over the railing to the level below. It's the game that always comes to my mind when people start waxing poetic about Carson.

And here we are blaming a 3-year losing streak on Marvin Lewis when 9 years ago we were wasting time getting mad at the QB...go figure.

2010:  Carson Palmer sucks
2016-present:  Even Tom Brady couldn't succeed here....but also, Jeff Driskel is total garbage

(06-01-2019, 01:22 PM)H arleyDog Wrote: The booing was all disappointment for the way Palmer was carrying himself that year. He wanted out of Cincinnati and he was very vocal about it. It was sort of a slap in the face for the fans. The fans weren't booking his accomplishments. They were booing his character. Plus, for a QB who wanted out, this could be perceived as a QB throwing the game. Kind of like, "You don't want to be here? Then GTFO!"

Ehh, I don't expect people to miss or even like Carson, but you have to remember when Chad and TO were out Carson had some good games at the end of the year throwing to Jerome Simpson and company and he was looking happy and people were optimistic about what might happen without the diva WRs and fumble-itis Benson.  Then Carson wants out and he got tossed in the "reason we sucked" pile.

Carson wasn't popular in 2010, but during the year I recall Marvin/Chad/TO/Benson getting a lot of flack for letting us down.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 01:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And here we are blaming a 3-year losing streak on Marvin Lewis when 9 years ago we were wasting time getting mad at the QB...go figure.

Both are well deserved. 

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 01:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Both are well deserved. 

Doesn't the whole "No one could win with Marvin here" narrative we are pushing now paint 2010 in a slightly different light?  Or was Marvin only bad enough to ruin the entire team for the past 3 years?
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 07:01 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Now if he can just get that elusive playoff win.

That playoff win has been eluding all Bengals for nearly 30 years.

(06-01-2019, 01:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And here we are blaming a 3-year losing streak on Marvin Lewis when 9 years ago we were wasting time getting mad at the QB...go figure.

2016-present:  Even Tom Brady couldn't succeed here....but also, Jeff Driskel is total garbage

Ehh, I don't expect people to miss or even like Carson, but you have to remember when Chad and TO were out Carson had some good games at the end of the year throwing to Jerome Simpson and company and he was looking happy and people were optimistic about what might happen without the diva WRs and fumble-itis Benson.  Then Carson wants out and he got tossed in the "reason we sucked" pile.

Carson wasn't popular in 2010, but during the year I recall Marvin/Chad/TO/Benson getting a lot of flack for letting us down.

There's hypocrisy on the other side of that as well, though. There are plenty who love Palmer and say he couldn't have been expected to win with "that defense" or "Marvin/Mike", then turn around and blame Dalton exclusively for 0-4.

Palmer got some hate in 2010 for 20 INT's (including 5 pick sixes), but there was a pretty big group blaming those INT's on TO/Chad. Benson was also polarizing, as he had (iirc) 7 fumbles and his YPC plummeted to 3.5...but he had defenders as well. All in all, I think most people blamed 2010 on TOcho. The truth is that our defense and run game (the staples of our 2009 playoff run) both fell off in a big way.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 01:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That playoff win has been eluding all Bengals for nearly 30 years.

There's hypocrisy on the other side of that as well, though. There are plenty who love Palmer and say he couldn't have been expected to win with "that defense" or "Marvin/Mike", then turn around and blame Dalton exclusively for 0-4.

Palmer got some hate in 2010 for 20 INT's (including 5 pick sixes), but there was a pretty big group blaming those INT's on TO/Chad. Benson was also polarizing, as he had (iirc) 7 fumbles and his YPC plummeted to 3.5...but he had defenders as well. All in all, I think most people blamed 2010 on TOcho. The truth is that our defense and run game (the staples of our 2009 playoff run) both fell off in a big way.

Another big thing that i pointed out going into 2010 was that our 2009 success was very fortunate and we won with a 4th place schedule and the 2010 schedule was brutal (seriously, the win totals of the teams we played was super high...though we lost to the Bills too).  Our luck ran out and there was plenty of blame to go around.

Also, we only beat 1 team with a winning record in 2010 and 2011.  2010 was just a big ol crapfest and the franchise deserved to hit reset in way that included Marvin, but ehh...whatever.  He's gone now and we are optimistic we haven't wasted all of AJ and Dalton's careers.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2019, 01:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The booing was all disappointment for the way Palmer was carrying himself that year. He wanted out of Cincinnati and he was very vocal about it. It was sort of a slap in the face for the fans. The fans weren't booking his accomplishments. They were booing his character. Plus, for a QB who wanted out, this could be perceived as a QB throwing the game. Kind of like, "You don't want to be here? Then GTFO!"

Funny, but when I researched this the story that poppedup actually complimented Palmer for the classy way he handled the booing.

At that point in 2010 I don't know how much he wanted out.  He was coming off a division championship season and in the off season he had "got what he wanted" with the signing of TO.  The Bengal fan base was as happy as it ever was going into the 2010 season.  We thought it was finally "our time".  The fans were not booing Palmer's character in game 5.  They were booing the production.

2010 started out with talk of a Super Bowl.  Opening game was going to be a "statement" with the Bengals playing the Patriots.  A second quarter pick six from Palmer gave the Pats a 24-0 lead and the game was pretty much over.  Next week Palmer had 167 yards and a 60 rating against the Ravens.  Next game Palmer had 195 yards, 2 picks, and a 53 rating against the Panthers.  The next week he lost two fumbles that lead to scores as the Bengals were upset by the hapless Browns, and then he threw the pick six trailing a Bucs team that had only won 3 games the year before.  That is why they booed when it was announced that he had passed 20,000 passing yards.  Palmer was supposed to be unstoppable with both TO and Ocho, but it just was not working out.

That 2010 team was probably the biggest "underachiever" based on preseason projections in Bengal history.  It was the only time Marvin lost 12 games and until last year it was the only time he had finished 4th in the division.  And it was the year after he won the NFL Coach of the Year Award.
Reply/Quote
On the Tampa Bay tangent: Few games in my history of a Bengals fan makes me madder than the 2006 game.

On the OP: I hope Andy gets it. He's been nothing but class.

On the CP9 tangent: Dude can kick rocks
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Uh, yeah, Carson sucked a lot more than just 2010. He was pretty mediocre after the 2006 season, so it's not like it was one season that turned the fan base on him... it took 3+ years of sub-par play to get people to say enough is enough (and yeah, I'll throw 2009 in there, because he was pretty average and stunk out loud in the playoffs). Just like Marvin!

When people think about Carson in stripes, they think about 2005-2006, but for most of his time here he looked like a completely different guy out there. I'm really happy he was finally able to find his game again for a couple of seasons in Arizona, but he'll always go down as a pretty big disappointment in my book.

And while I'm not sure I really want to get into this again... I'll say it - Andy's been a better Bengal.
Reply/Quote