Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton real close to 30,000 yds, 200 td
(06-02-2019, 01:14 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Uh, yeah, Carson sucked a lot more than just 2010. He was pretty mediocre after the 2006 season, so it's not like it was one season that turned the fan base on him... it took 3+ years of sub-par play to get people to say enough is enough (and yeah, I'll throw 2009 in there, because he was pretty average and stunk out loud in the playoffs). Just like Marvin!

When people think about Carson in stripes, they think about 2005-2006, but for most of his time here he looked like a completely different guy out there. I'm really happy he was finally able to find his game again for a couple of seasons in Arizona, but he'll always go down as a pretty big disappointment in my book.

And while I'm not sure I really want to get into this again... I'll say it - Andy's been a better Bengal.

Carson's 2009 stats weren't good to begin with, but they're even worse when you realize how heavily skewed they were by one game.

vs Bears: 20/24 (83%) - 233 yards (9.71 yards per attempt) - 5 TD's - 0 INT's - 146.7 rating
Rest of season: 262/442 (59.3%) - 2861 yards (6.47 yards per attempt) - 16 TD's - 13 INT's - 78.3 rating

Yeah, the Bears game counted, but having such an excellent game made his overall stats look much better than he actually played. He was bad in 2009. The playoff game was also atrocious. Tbh, Carson only had 2 good seasons for us. 2005 and 2006. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 01:14 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Uh, yeah, Carson sucked a lot more than just 2010. He was pretty mediocre after the 2006 season, so it's not like it was one season that turned the fan base on him... it took 3+ years of sub-par play to get people to say enough is enough (and yeah, I'll throw 2009 in there, because he was pretty average and stunk out loud in the playoffs). Just like Marvin!

When people think about Carson in stripes, they think about 2005-2006, but for most of his time here he looked like a completely different guy out there. I'm really happy he was finally able to find his game again for a couple of seasons in Arizona, but he'll always go down as a pretty big disappointment in my book.

And while I'm not sure I really want to get into this again... I'll say it - Andy's been a better Bengal.

I didn't mean to make this a Carson vs Dalton thing, but I was just pointing out that it's odd to bash Carson's time here when we are overjoyed Marvin is gone because it was clear there was no possible way we could ever win with him as the HC...or that's the narrative we're pushing.  

Methinks the outside perspective on Carson, Dalton and even Marvin is that they are/were pretty good but clearly limited by playing for a franchise that isn't quite as committed to winning as others.

(06-02-2019, 01:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Carson's 2009 stats weren't good to begin with, but they're even worse when you realize how heavily skewed they were by one game.

vs Bears: 20/24 (83%) - 233 yards (9.71 yards per attempt) - 5 TD's - 0 INT's - 146.7 rating
Rest of season: 262/442 (59.3%) - 2861 yards (6.47 yards per attempt) - 16 TD's - 13 INT's - 78.3 rating

Yeah, the Bears game counted, but having such an excellent game made his overall stats look much better than he actually played. He was bad in 2009. The playoff game was also atrocious. Tbh, Carson only had 2 good seasons for us. 2005 and 2006. 

The nod of approval to Carson in 2009 is less about stats and more about running the no-huddle to eek out some wins and overachieve (and circumnavigate Bob Bratkowski) and playing with that broken(?) thumb on his left hand.  At any rate, I'll never sneeze at a year where we sweep the Steelers (yes...that includes 1998).  But in the end, 2009 is just another year the Bengals "won" in a manner that the more successful franchises would call an embarrassment.  Feh, it's all relative.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote