Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's Primetime Game
His rating of 139.8 was his best this year, it wasn't a 1:00 PM game... But a primetime game.

If someone had told you that Dalton had gotten a 139.8 passer rating, you would probably have guessed it was a 1:00 PM game.

This year is different, Dalton isn't scared of the big lights anymore.

#WhoDey #Dalton4MVP
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I don't think he ever was "scared of the big lights". I think that was a silly media narrative and has always been meaningless.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 06:57 PM)StripesInSuffolk Wrote: I don't think he ever was "scared of the big lights".  I think that was a silly media narrative and has always been meaningless.

I'll say it again, it has been a franchise issue from day one.  Granted, they didn't play the Sunday night and Thursday night games back then, but they have always struggled with this, as the stats will tell you, for anyone who wants to painstakingly research it.

We can agree to disagree on the reasons behind it, but the only way you overcome the history is to change the present and the future.

So far they have done that.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 07:03 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I'll say it again, it has been a franchise issue from day one.  Granted, they didn't play the Sunday night and Thursday night games back then, but they have always struggled with this, as the stats will tell you, for anyone who wants to painstakingly research it.

We can agree to disagree on the reasons behind it, but the only way you overcome the history is to change the present and the future.

So far they have done that.  

and as i have stated before.. to try to take a team of players not even born till 1980s and 1990s and lump them into the past is just not logical.. also as I stated before.. to be a NFL or professional player you have to have a short memory.. what you did yesterday or last week means nothing for your next game.. I loved what Andy said about looking at the past.. that is the past,, I have to concern myself with the game now.... but if your going to beat this drum of bad prime time games.. the recent past now is looking good... 2-0  with wins over Broncos and Browns
Reply/Quote
Did anyone see the stat the network put up about Dalton during Primetime?

Win/Loss record was 3-11...now 4-11 after last nights game.

Last year, Dalton had a QB Rating of 2.0 on Thursday Night Football against the Browns. Two Point Zero!

You can point to the big win against Denver last year all you want but 3-11 up until last night is just staggering.

But...

This IS a different team. By the end of the season, that 3-11 stat gap will narrow quite a bit. Hell, by the end of the next two games, the Bengals will be 6-11. By the end of the regular season, I think the Bengals will have a Primetime record of 8-11 and be even after they win the Super Bowl.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 06:57 PM)StripesInSuffolk Wrote: I don't think he ever was "scared of the big lights".  I think that was a silly media narrative and has always been meaningless.

Agree...partially. Dalton has had some pretty rough prime time games but he's had some pretty good games that have been overlooked simply because we lost and people want to hold on to this narrative that Dalton has been the problem. 

(11-06-2015, 08:24 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Last year, Dalton had a QB Rating of 2.0 on Thursday Night Football against the Browns. Two Point Zero!

He also had ratings of 117.4, 128.8 and 93.1.

But yeah, the 2.0 game. That game was awful, but you'd think it was an entire season with the way people talk about it. In the end, no matter how awful it was, it was just one game. He had 3 good prime time games last year and no one ever talks about those. I guess because those games don't feed the narrative.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 08:23 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: and as i have stated before.. to try to take a team of players not even born till 1980s and 1990s and lump them into the past is just not logical.. also as I stated before.. to be a NFL or professional player you have to have a short memory.. what you did yesterday or last week means nothing for your next game.. I loved what Andy said about looking at the past.. that is the past,, I have to concern myself with the game now.... but if your going to beat this drum of bad prime time games.. the recent past now is looking good... 2-0  with wins over Broncos and Browns

Completely agree.  I really think this fan base needs to move past the 1990's, because the players were in grade school and it means nothing to them.  All that matters in the here and now, what these guys have produced while they are here.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 12:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agree...partially. Dalton has had some pretty rough prime time games but he's had some pretty good games that have been overlooked simply because we lost and people want to hold on to this narrative that Dalton has been the problem. 

He also had ratings of 117.4, 128.8 and 93.1.

But yeah, the 2.0 game. That game was awful, but you'd think it was an entire season with the way people talk about it. In the end, no matter how awful it was, it was just one game. He had 3 good prime time games last year and no one ever talks about those. I guess because those games don't feed the narrative.

The disgusting part is many in our fan base do not know AD had some very good games in losses, yet that is ignored. I get the media as their job is to sell half truths to get more viewers thus more money, but our fans don't realize for example we were blown out a year ago at New England and AD was one of the bright spots (117.4 QBR). We lost by over 20 points to no fault of AD clearly.

I hear all the time how it is a team game and AD should not get credit for wins, but when we lose I see a double standard around here and in the media. People can't have it both ways.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 11:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The disgusting part is many in our fan base do not know AD had some very good games in losses, yet that is ignored. I get the media as their job is to sell half truths to get more viewers thus more money, but our fans don't realize for example we were blown out a year ago at New England and AD was one of the bright spots (117.4 QBR). We lost by over 20 points to no fault of AD clearly.

I hear all the time how it is a team game and AD should not get credit for wins, but when we lose I see a double standard around here and in the media. People can't have it both ways.

We were missing our three starting linebackers.   Brady & co. had two quick touchdowns before our defense got organized. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 11:46 AM)Baby Hawk Wrote: We were missing our three starting linebackers.   Brady & co. had two quick touchdowns before our defense got organized. 

I know and our defense gave up over 40 points.

The question becomes why is this game not vetted and others by our fans.

No doubt, his 2.0 game is squarely on his shoulders a year ago, but again if we are going to ignore or discount Dalton's win and loss regular season wins and say it is a team game, then let's make sure we ignore/discount his playoff losses as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 08:24 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Did anyone see the stat the network put up about Dalton during Primetime?

Last year, Dalton had a QB Rating of 2.0 on Thursday Night Football against the Browns. Two Point Zero!

You can point to the big win against Denver last year all you want but 3-11 up until last night is just staggering.

But...

This IS a different team. By the end of the season, that 3-11 stat gap will narrow quite a bit. Hell, by the end of the next two games, the Bengals will be 6-11. By the end of the regular season, I think the Bengals will have a Primetime record of 8-11 and be even after they win the Super Bowl.

They also beat the Steelers on Monday Night Football the year before....
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 08:24 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Did anyone see the stat the network put up about Dalton during Primetime?

That is not correct.  They must have been including his 4 playoff games

Dalton is 4-7 in prime time games after Thursday's victory.  The nightmare in Cleveland last year makes his stats look horrible, but if you exclude that outlier (which I always rip other people for doing) he has completed .606 of his passes for 14 td, 8 int, and a "not terrible" 80.0 passer rating.

And 7 of those 11 games have been against top teams (Pitt, NE, Balt, Den)

I can not deny that Dalton and the Bengals have looked bad most games in prime time.  Just trying to show that it is not quite as bad as some people think.
Reply/Quote
Think the "bright light" game curse was more of a team hurdle that they seem to have overcome.

Believe after next couple weeks the curse will be obliterated and the Bengals will be 10-0.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 06:53 PM)milksheikh Wrote: His rating of 139.8 was his best this year, it wasn't a 1:00 PM game... But a primetime game.

If someone had told you that Dalton had gotten a 139.8 passer rating, you would probably have guessed it was a 1:00 PM game.

This year is different, Dalton isn't scared of the big lights anymore.

#WhoDey #Dalton4MVP

Had like 10 plus completions in a row at one point.

He just takes what the Defense gives him. We can beat teams deep but if they stop that we can beat them
underneath and run the ball on them. So many options for Dalton and this Offense. He has stepped his entire
game up big time and with all the weapons it helps him big time as well.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't Dalton sick during the "2.0" game? I thought I remembered hearing he had the flu and was vomiting before the game.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 04:55 PM)Earendil Wrote: Wasn't Dalton sick during the "2.0" game?  I thought I remembered hearing he had the flu and was vomiting before the game.

I can't remember if he was sick but it was windy as hell.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 04:55 PM)Earendil Wrote: Wasn't Dalton sick during the "2.0" game?  I thought I remembered hearing he had the flu and was vomiting before the game.

That was the Tampa game that they won. The only team in the NFL Marvin hadn't beaten yet.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 02:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Think the "bright light" game curse was more of a team hurdle that they seem to have overcome.

Believe after next couple weeks the curse will be obliterated and the Bengals will be 10-0.

The 10-0 with just one big stage game left would definitely get them over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 04:58 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: That was the Tampa game that they won. The only team in the NFL Marvin hadn't beaten yet.

Gotcha, thanks.
Reply/Quote
Andy has looked bad in Primetime in the past, but we also have a more complete team around him this year.

That's not taking anything away from him because I've always been an Andy supporter, but it's a nice coincidence that Andy improved so much that his abilities and confidence are at an all-time high to pair with an amazing team.
Reply/Quote