Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's contract
As if he needed any more incentive to aim for that first round bye...achieving that is worth a cool extra million to his base salary.

CBS Sports

By Joel Corry

Winning in January has even more importance for Andy Dalton: The six-year, $96 million contract extension Dalton signed in 2014 had $18 million of base salary escalators tied to playoff performance that could have increased the overall value of the deal to $114 million. $15 million can still be earned.

Eighty percent or more regular season offensive playtime and reaching the divisional playoffs with at least 80 percent offensive playtime in any prior playoff games in that season increases the base salaries in the rest of his contract each by $1 million. Another $500,000 is added for reaching the conference championship game if those same playtime requirements are met. It becomes a $3 million per season escalation with a Super Bowl win and the requisite playtime.

The Bengals getting a bye for the wild card playoff round has added significance for Dalton. Postseason playtime or Dalton's first playoff win wouldn't be required for his 2016 through 2020 base salaries to increase by $1 million to push the average of his deal to $16,833,333 million per year. Any part of the escalator that isn't earned this season will be available in the remaining contract years.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Reply/Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptQKaOjyYs
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
And even if Andy hit all his accelerators it is still a team cap friendly deal. Per Spotrac the biggest hit it can ever be per year is around 20 million and that assumes playing 80% or more of snaps and Super Bowl.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/andy-dalton/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 04:54 PM)pally Wrote: As if he needed any more incentive to aim for that first round bye...achieving that is worth a cool extra million to his base salary.

CBS Sports

By Joel Corry

Winning in January has even more importance for Andy Dalton: The six-year, $96 million contract extension Dalton signed in 2014 had $18 million of base salary escalators tied to playoff performance that could have increased the overall value of the deal to $114 million. $15 million can still be earned.

Eighty percent or more regular season offensive playtime and reaching the divisional playoffs with at least 80 percent offensive playtime in any prior playoff games in that season increases the base salaries in the rest of his contract each by $1 million. Another $500,000 is added for reaching the conference championship game if those same playtime requirements are met. It becomes a $3 million per season escalation with a Super Bowl win and the requisite playtime.

The Bengals getting a bye for the wild card playoff round has added significance for Dalton. Postseason playtime or Dalton's first playoff win wouldn't be required for his 2016 through 2020 base salaries to increase by $1 million to push the average of his deal to $16,833,333 million per year. Any part of the escalator that isn't earned this season will be available in the remaining contract years.

Why Stop there each level of the playoffs is an extra mil..

MAX out that Contract Dalton..
Reply/Quote
It's interesting to compare Andy's deal to, say, that of Joe Flacco. Unlike Flacco Andy's deal was light on signing bonus and guaranteed money and the result is very little "dead money". And the incentives are structured so that a "maxxed out" contract has a 20.7 million annual hit. Plus the structure gives both Andy and the team a LOT of flexibility to restructure if the need somehow arose.

Flacco's deal meanwhile had a giant signing bonus (29 million) plus another 29 million guaranteed. The end result is enormous cap numbers starting in 2016 (28.5 million) and not a lot of restructuring flexibility due to his huge dead cap number.

It was like a perfect storm for us - Katie has been superb at the contracts ever since she took the lead in that area and we have also had players generally willing to work with us (especially in Andy's case).
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 06:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: And even if Andy hit all his accelerators it is still a team cap friendly deal. Per Spotrac the biggest hit it can ever be per year is around 20 million and that assumes playing 80% or more of snaps and Super Bowl.

I hope he gets his 20 mil cap hit then.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 06:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: And even if Andy hit all his accelerators it is still a team cap friendly deal. Per Spotrac the biggest hit it can ever be per year is around 20 million and that assumes playing 80% or more of snaps and Super Bowl.

Seems like a bargain, when you consider how smart he has been playing this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 08:28 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I hope he gets his 20 mil cap hit then.

Most definitely 

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 04:57 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: [Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Conker: Bad Fur Day
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
People hated that contract because they didn't bother to understand it.

...I think I read somewhere that Dalton is the 20th highest paid QB for 2015. I think we're getting our money's worth.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 10:17 PM)gobobro Wrote: People hated that contract because they didn't bother to understand it.

...I think I read somewhere that Dalton is the 20th highest paid QB for 2015. I think we're getting our money's worth.

Yup. I was all in favor of waiting to sign Dalton, but when I saw the numbers I was very happy with it. People that hated the contract just weren't understanding the current QB market. 

20 million is the going rate for "average" (competant) QB's these days. Fortunately for us, we got Dalton on an "average" contract when it looks like he's much more than that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 07:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's interesting to compare Andy's deal to, say, that of Joe Flacco. Unlike Flacco Andy's deal was light on signing bonus and guaranteed money and the result is very little "dead money". And the incentives are structured so that a "maxxed out" contract has a 20.7 million annual hit. Plus the structure gives both Andy and the team a LOT of flexibility to restructure if the need somehow arose.

Flacco's deal meanwhile had a giant signing bonus (29 million) plus another 29 million guaranteed. The end result is enormous cap numbers starting in 2016 (28.5 million) and not a lot of restructuring flexibility due to his huge dead cap number.

It was like a perfect storm for us - Katie has been superb at the contracts ever since she took the lead in that area and we have also had players generally willing to work with us (especially in Andy's case).

The cap keeps going up every year.  If Dalton plays out this contract he will be one of the cheapest QBs in the league the last few years.  And I think the Bengals will pay to keep receivers and an O-line around him.  It is a good deal for both sides.
Reply/Quote
Plus Andy's very cap friendly deal made AJ Green's extension doable - and it also is very cap friendly.

See a trend? We don't structure contracts like a lot of the rest of the league and as a result we have little to no dead cap money. And on this one you have to tip your hat to Katie because it is her area.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 11:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: Plus Andy's very cap friendly deal made AJ Green's extension doable - and it also is very cap friendly.

See a trend? We don't structure contracts like a lot of the rest of the league and as a result we have little to no dead cap money. And on this one you have to tip your hat to Katie because it is her area.

The Brown family is pretty much undefeated when it comes to contract negotiations.  At least, post Palmer they are[img]webkit-fake-url://1dddb41d-2ae6-4e9a-8bd4-52a86f41ed39/imagegif[/img]...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 11:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: Plus Andy's very cap friendly deal made AJ Green's extension doable - and it also is very cap friendly.

And players and agents take those deals because the bengals let players earn the whole contract. They don't cut you to save money. Most teams would have cut Leon. But we were Able to keep him on the books.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 09:00 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Conker: Bad Fur Day

No. Andy Dalton: Super Bowl Season
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Andy joins the 20 mill club this year
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 03:14 AM)zygrot24 Wrote: Hopefully Andy joins the 20 mill club this year

Yes this all day Rock On

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 07:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's interesting to compare Andy's deal to, say, that of Joe Flacco. Unlike Flacco Andy's deal was light on signing bonus and guaranteed money and the result is very little "dead money". And the incentives are structured so that a "maxxed out" contract has a 20.7 million annual hit. Plus the structure gives both Andy and the team a LOT of flexibility to restructure if the need somehow arose.

I really don't think you can compare the Dalton and Flacco deals.  Flacco has just won a Super Bowl where he had played amazingly well through the playoffs.

The interesting time will come when Dalton wins a Super Bowl (not if, when).  When that happens, I would imagine he immediately asks for an extension, one that significantly changes the terms of his current deal.  Last I saw he has the third highest rating in the league and is a legitimate MVP candidate.  Through in post season success, especially a Super Bowl trophy, and I don't think he will be happy being paid as a "middle tier, serviceable" quarterback.  I don't see him demanding Manning or Rodgers money though... I could see him doing Tom Brady type deals where he is in the upper echelon, but still leaves the team money for others.
Reply/Quote