Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's contract
AD was blessed to fall to the Bengals in the second round. He has been handled very well by the Bengals who have given him time to grow to be the player he is becoming and to learn on the job with unwavering support. There are and have been countless QBs ,some that quit possibly could have been great ,that have been placed in situations that they couldn't be successful no matter what. Now it wasn't a one way street ,AD has done his part in spades. I think the contract when he signed it was fair to both sides. AD is a good/maybe great player (and still improving) but if he doesn't have the pieces around him ,then he can't be. He'll stay healthier, play longer and play better and therefore earn more if they are able to afford the guys around him. I'm sure AD knows all that.

It is interesting to watch QBs over the years come into the league as superstars and see what happens to them. Picking QBs in the draft is unique relative to other positions and there is a huge list of things that derail their careers. Sometimes themselves and sometimes the organization and sometimes both (JM).  Bringing along the QB position is interesting but very dicey. AD is going to make a lot of money and the Bengals are going to win a lot of games. I think as fans we're sitting pretty good right now. Who Dey!!! 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 12:43 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I really don't think you can compare the Dalton and Flacco deals.  Flacco has just won a Super Bowl where he had played amazingly well through the playoffs.

The interesting time will come when Dalton wins a Super Bowl (not if, when).  When that happens, I would imagine he immediately asks for an extension, one that significantly changes the terms of his current deal.  Last I saw he has the third highest rating in the league and is a legitimate MVP candidate.  Through in post season success, especially a Super Bowl trophy, and I don't think he will be happy being paid as a "middle tier, serviceable" quarterback.  I don't see him demanding Manning or Rodgers money though... I could see him doing Tom Brady type deals where he is in the upper echelon, but still leaves the team money for others.

The Flacco deal was roundly criticized when it was signed both because of the financials in it having the potential to cripple the Rats under the cap (which they did) and Flacco's big mouth (calling himself "elite" constantly). Clearly to Flacco it was all about Flacco. He knew the numbers he was asking for would have these negative effects and asked anyway.  Nothing we have seen in Andy even hints at him having a similar attitude.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 02:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: The Flacco deal was roundly criticized when it was signed both because of the financials in it having the potential to cripple the Rats under the cap (which they did) and Flacco's big mouth (calling himself "elite" constantly). Clearly to Flacco it was all about Flacco. He knew the numbers he was asking for would have these negative effects and asked anyway.  Nothing we have seen in Andy even hints at him having a similar attitude.

Agreed. I think Andy will always sign a team friendly deal. Much like Brady has alway done.
Reply/Quote