Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's make or break year
(07-10-2019, 01:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But the fact is that Dalton has had several good games when Green was missing and in 2013 when Brady didn't have Gronk the Bengals completely shut down Brady (52.2 rating) the Pats offense (6 points, 248 yds),  and Dalton had a higher passer rating (88.8) for the year than Brady did (87.3).

It's easy to cherry pick. 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 01:39 PM)motoarch Wrote: It's easy to cherry pick. 

Not as easy as just making shit up out of thin air.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 01:26 PM)motoarch Wrote: I want him to succeed and was a bigger defender of his for a long time but it's gotten hard the last couple years.  Some of it's out of his control.  Losing key receivers, a rotating door of tight ends injured rbs and a make shift oline.  It's hard and he's a class act person to boot.

I'm not a Dalton hater but I do think it's time to consider options if any are available.  If this season is as bad as most 'experts' are predicting we may have a very early draft pick and I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a potential replacement.

If Taylor has him lighting up the scoreboard I'll happily eat crow.  I'm looking forward to seeing this team surprise the league and would love to see Dalton shut up his critics.  Including me.

Absolutely.  I'd like to get Trevor Lawrence regardless. Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not as easy as just making shit up out of thin air.

Wtf is your beaf with me?  Grow up and move on.  Every time I post over the last year you repeatedly do your best to engage me in petty bs and I almost always take the bait.

Anytime I do agree with you it's as if you conveniently don't see that and have determined to only respond to anything you think might get under my skin.

Show me the one fact I made up?  I have my opinion and I stated it as an opinion not a fact.  For someone so pedantic you sure do miss a lot.

Are you really going to keep going down this path with tb? No one expects Dalton to be Brady and I never made that parallel you did. Plus now you're seriously cherry picking evidence that Dalton is better?! No one and I mean no one on this board can take anything you have to say seriously ever again.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not as easy as just making shit up out of thin air.

Untrue.  Also, when you weren't looking I beat up a lion. 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 02:29 PM)motoarch Wrote: Wtf is your beaf with me?  Grow up and move on.  Every time I post over the last year you repeatedly do your best to engage me in petty bs and I almost always take the bait.

Anytime I do agree with you it's as if you conveniently don't see that and have determined to only respond to anything you think might get under my skin.

Show me the one fact I made up?  I have my opinion and I stated it as an opinion not a fact.  For someone so pedantic you sure do miss a lot.

Are you really going to keep going down this path with tb?  No one expects Dalton to be Brady and I never made that parallel you did.  Plus now you're seriously cherry picking evidence that Dalton is better?!  No one and I mean no one on this board can take anything you have to say seriously ever again.

I have an opinion also.  The only difference is I back mine up with facts.

I have never said Dalton is better than Brady.  I am just saying that EVERY quarterback depends on the talent around him, and also that Dalton has had some good games when his best players are missing.  So if your only criticism of Dalton is that he needs some talent around him you are not going to find a replacement that does not.

BTW people are going to disagree with you.  If you can't handle it then you should avoid this place. 
Reply/Quote
This year is going to come down to the Blocking or lack there of. Bengals addressed the poor blocking in the draft, but that #1 draft pick is already out for the season, so that doesn't help the blocking in 2019 at all. Plus they let more blockers go.

At this point, I see no reason why Bengals blocking will be better in 2019, and it has been pretty bad last 3 years.

If Bengals continue to have the worst blocking in NFL, the best quarterbacks ever would look awful. If every play the coaches call gets blown up the second the ball is snapped, that isn't the quarterback, that is the blocking.

Oh, I'm sure the average fans will blame the quarterback and also the new coach. That is what the average fans do. They will not see that the better teams in NFL history had good blocking. All Super Bowl teams had blocking. They say defense wins championships, but I have seen good defense not win anything. Good blocking however always leads to many wins. Bengals fans only have to look to the 1980's offensive lines. Then in the 1990's with no blocking, forget about it.

So the Bengals, 2019 season hinges on improved blocking, and I don't know where that is going to come from. If Dalton and Mixon get no blocking, it's going to be a long season starting with at Seattle. I won't blame Dalton because Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway, Tom Brady and no other NFL quarterback ever could win games if the Bengals O Line is getting blown up every play.

If the Bengals improve on Blocking and Tackling, they can compete. Otherwise, NO. I can see the D maybe being better. I just don't see were the blocking is going to come from and they could be worse on blocking. It's hard to imagine Bengals being any worse than they were on blocking, but that is a sad fact going into training camp. They did not address blocking except the top draft pick, and he is out for the season.

If this team really stinks at blocking again, no quarterback ever could win here.

When is it going to be a make or break year for Mike Brown who on letting Max Montoya, Steinbach, Zeitler, Whitworth go under his ownership, always came out in papers, radio, TV saying, " Why should I pay money for offensive linemen ". Mike Brown is the only person who has been on this team for the entire No Play-Off Win streak from 1991 to 2019. He has never understood paying for Blockers, and he admits it. When is it going to be a make or break year for old Mount Baldy owning this team ????
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Like Jason and others have said this is Dalton's 4th or 5th make or break season in a row. Take it for what's it worth.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: But aren't we all super pumped that we finally moved on from our 16 years of "solid but not great and wants to be here" HC?  

Yes it could be worse than Dalton, by a mile...but the guy should probably win a SB or two if he's going to be your starter for 16 years.  We've already seen how much fun nearly 2 decades of "not bad" can be.

How many super bowls did Marino win? How many did he play in for Miami in his long career? You say win a super bowl or 2 like it is easy, any dunce can do it. I disagree, you need a great team around the QB to win a super bowl, something Dalton has never had to date.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 06:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How many super bowls did Marino win? How many did he play in for Miami in his long career? You say win a super bowl or 2 like it is easy, any dunce can do it. I disagree, you need a great team around the QB to win a super bowl, something Dalton has never had to date.

How many other QB’s can you name besides Marino (it’s beyond silly to even bring up all time greats like Marino and Brady compared to Dalton but that’s nothing new here) that played almost a decade for one team without any playoff success?

He had a great team in 2015 (arguably 2013-2015), but he did something stupid and broke him thumb.

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 07:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How many other QB’s can you name besides Marino (it’s beyond silly to even bring up all time greats like Marino and Brady compared to Dalton but that’s nothing new here) that played almost a decade for one team without any playoff success?

He had a great team in 2015 (arguably 2013-2015), but he did something stupid and broke him thumb.

Warren Moon
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 07:30 PM)Synric Wrote: Warren Moon

3-7 in the playoffs. Nothing to write home about, but it’s also not 0-4...

Reply/Quote
Also...

Moon in the playoffs:
84.9 PR
64.27 Cmp%

Dalton in the playoffs:
57.8 PR
55.70 Cmp%

See a difference?

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 06:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How many super bowls did Marino win? How many did he play in for Miami in his long career? You say win a super bowl or 2 like it is easy, any dunce can do it. I disagree, you need a great team around the QB to win a super bowl, something Dalton has never had to date.

This message board can never decide if our team is ultra talented or pointlessly deficient. 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 07:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This message board can never decide if our team is ultra talented or pointlessly deficient. 

Right? I guess it was never Marvin after all...

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 07:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right? I guess it was never Marvin after all...

Marvin didn't win anything in 16 years here, so he's just another Dan Marino. 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 07:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also...

Moon in the playoffs:
84.9 PR
64.27 Cmp%

Dalton in the playoffs:
57.8 PR
55.70 Cmp%

See a difference?

Yea that you're grasping at straws. Post season success is not passer rating or completion percentage its Wins and Wins only. There have been a few good QBs that didnt have the greatest post season success....

How about another one Tony Choke Romo.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 08:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea that you're grasping at straws. Post season success is not passer rating or completion percentage its Wins and Wins only. There have been a few good QBs that didnt have the greatest post season success....

How about another one Tony Choke Romo.

Again...I said ANY playoff success.

Romo was 2-4.

Until Andy breaks the giant goose egg he currently has in the wins column it’s completely fair to point how rare it is for a team to keep bringing him back. It just doesn’t happen.

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 05:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Like Jason and others have said this is Dalton's 4th or 5th make or break season in a row. Take it for what's it worth.

No it isn't.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 08:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Until Andy breaks the giant goose egg he currently has in the wins column it’s completely fair to point how rare it is for a team to keep bringing him back. It just doesn’t happen.

Yeah it does.

Mathew Stafford has been starting for the Lions for 10 years with zero playoff wins.

Ken Anderson had zero playoff wins in his first nine seasons.  I can imagine how you guys would have shit all over him.

John Brodie was the Forty-niners starter for 12 years before he won a playoff game, and like Anderson he won the league MVP that same year.

Jim Hart was the starter for the Cardinals for 15 years and never won a single postseason game.

Joe Ferguson did not win a playoff game until his ninth season as the Bills starter.

Archie Manning was the Saints starter for 10 years and never won a playoff game.
Reply/Quote