Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's make or break year
I have a feeling that 2yr rookie from the cardinals will be playing here next year, regardless if Andy plays well or not, just gut feeling.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 08:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah it does.

Mathew Stafford has been starting for the Lions for 10 years with zero playoff wins.

Ken Anderson had zero playoff wins in his first nine seasons.  I can imagine how you guys would have shit all over him.

John Brodie was the Forty-niners starter for 12 years before he won a playoff game, and like Anderson he won the league MVP that same year.

Jim Hart was the starter for the Cardinals for 15 years and never won a single postseason game.

Joe Ferguson did not win a playoff game until his ninth season as the Bills starter.

Archie Manning was the Saints starter for 10 years and never won a playoff game.

It’s funny how far back you had to go for examples.

And the Detroit Lions are hardly a good case of how a well run franchise operates...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 01:12 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: ....and when that doesn't work, ol Billy brings in a FB and plays smashmouth.  They're simply a juggernaut.

Brady runs it to perfection.

True.

And the only way to beat them is to cut off the snake's head - pressure Brady up the middle.

You still have to deal with their constant blitzing.
Reply/Quote

Mathew Stafford has been starting for the Lions for 10 years with zero playoff wins.

Ken Anderson had zero playoff wins in his first nine seasons.  I can imagine how you guys would have shit all over him.

John Brodie was the Forty-niners starter for 12 years before he won a playoff game, and like Anderson he won the league MVP that same year.

Jim Hart was the starter for the Cardinals for 15 years and never won a single postseason game.

Joe Ferguson did not win a playoff game until his ninth season as the Bills starter.

Archie Manning was the Saints starter for 10 years and never won a playoff game.
Good post.  All these were good quarterbacks.  You have to be on a good team.  I could list quarterbacks who won play-off games and some very average names in the list.  It helps to be on a good team.  Some fans think football is all about the quarterback.  It is not.  I have seen teams win NFL Championship/ Super Bowl with a average quarterback but great blocking and tackling.  

In Bengals history you have #1 Ken Anderson. #2 Boomer Esiason. #3 Andy Dalton. #4 Carson Palmer....the list gets pretty weak after that. #5 should be Virgil Carter.  So Dalton is one of the best quarterbacks in Bengals history.  It is not his fault this team can't block or tackle.  Under Mike Brown the Bengals have not had a great O Line and a great Defense at the same time, season after season, as Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England and other power house teams.  Those who think it is all about the quarterback really don't know football.  Now the 1980's Bengals had years of great O Line and great Defense, but Paul Brown was still alive.  Once Paul Brown died, his son didn't have a clue, the apple falling too far from the tree. 

As for fans on here. Many had Johnny Manziel coming in being great. The #1 selling jersey that year. For all those who had McCarron as a super star, it's never happened. However he did throw to AJ Green what should have been play-off game winning TD, but rest of team just played most stupid football that I've ever seen that last minute.

Again, I don't see how Bengals blocking is going to be better, and the D was awful in 2018. This is NOT a good team, hence all the coaches fired. I'm all into NEW DEY, but I admit going into training camp this is a bad team. We are lucky to have Dalton at QB because he gives these sad sacks the best chance of winning some games. How BAD was Bengals at end of season ? They brought in Hue Stinks. Some fans actually wanted Hue Stinks to become the coach. That's pretty BAD and why I'm into NEW DEY, but it might take a few years to turn around this BAD team. Starting at Seattle is a hard road game for good teams, jet lag into a good crowd and team.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Players like Manning and Hart were adequate QBs like Dalton. But their teams stood by them in the latter parts of their careers. Their fans watched them flounder for five years before they retired. Dalton has already had three sub par seasons so maybe we will see the light at the end of the tunnel when the 2020 draft comes. The Dalton lovers will scream bloody murder but eff em and feed em beans.
Reply/Quote
But remember in 2015 he was playing at pro bowl level. Fml.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 07:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also...

Moon in the playoffs:
84.9 PR
64.27 Cmp%

Dalton in the playoffs:
57.8 PR
55.70 Cmp%

See a difference?

I responded to a post stating Dalton should have won 1 or 2 Super Bowls by now, I simply pointed out Marino did not. I never mentioned playoff success because that was not in the post, it was about winning Super Bowls.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 09:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s funny how far back you had to go for examples.

And the Detroit Lions are hardly a good case of how a well run franchise operates...

Why switch the argument? Does AD have a choice getting drafted by a bad franchise? You just proved a lot of people's point, AD is not the issue, it is a bad franchise. so thanks for that.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 09:41 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why switch the argument? Does AD have a choice getting drafted by a bad franchise? You just proved a lot of people's point, AD is not the issue, it is a bad franchise. so thanks for that.

Ofc we’re a bad franchise. The problems obviously pre-date Dalton. But he’s also sucked ass in the playoffs. These two things are not mutually exclusive. There’s plenty of blame to go around.

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 09:38 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I responded to a post stating Dalton should have won 1 or 2 Super Bowls by now, I simply pointed out Marino did not. I never mentioned playoff success because that was not in the post, it was about winning Super Bowls.

I didn't say that, I'm saying that if Dalton is our only starting QB for 16 seasons I would expect him to have won a SB in that timeframe. 
Reply/Quote

Even the great Peyton Manning didn't win a playoff game until his 6th season. Peyton Manning actually had nine one-and-done postseasons in total.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Even the great Peyton Manning didn't win a playoff game until his 6th season. Peyton Manning actually had nine one-and-done postseasons in total.

So now we are comparing Dalton to Manning? OK then.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 07:48 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So now we are comparing Dalton to Manning? OK then.

Brady, Marino, Manning...

Any other Hall of Famers we want to predict Dalton will turn into? Haha

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 08:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Brady, Marino, Manning...

Any other Hall of Famers we want to predict Dalton will turn into? Haha

Bill Bellichick won 6 SBs after the Browns fired him, so perhaps we should make Hue our HC instead of Taylor?

And again, my goal isn't to bash Dalton so much as have a larf at some of the wacky things we say. Last year alone we pointed out that Trent Dilfer won a SB with elite talent around him and then we eventually said that even Tom Brady couldn't win here. We so crazy.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ofc we’re a bad franchise. The problems obviously pre-date Dalton. But he’s also sucked ass in the playoffs. These two things are not mutually exclusive. There’s plenty of blame to go around.

Give me a list of 5 Bengal players who haven't sucked ass in the playoffs during Dalton's tenure.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 09:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Give me a list of 5 Bengal players who haven't sucked ass in the playoffs during Dalton's tenure.

Name me 5 Bengals that have played as badly as Dalton in the playoffs?

Cmp% 55.70
Yds 873 (in 4 games)
1 TD
6 Int
PR 57.8
Fumbles 4

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 09:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Give me a list of 5 Bengal players who haven't sucked ass in the playoffs during Dalton's tenure.

In 2013 our defense outscored our offense in the 2nd go-around with the Texans...so there is that.  That's about it, though.  We had 6 trips in 7 years there where we played like a 10+ win team during the regular season and then turned into a 4-12 squad as soon as the playoffs hit.  

At any rate, the fact that we are using our entire squad sucking in the playoffs for 5 straight years as the chief means of defending what could be considered the 3rd or 4th best QB we've ever had is the most Bengals-ey thing ever.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 07:48 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So now we are comparing Dalton to Manning? OK then.

You clearly missed the point or are trying to be snarky.
Obviously, the point was that even some great ones don't advance in the playoffs right away.
I'm not trying to justify Dalton or make him sound great. I was just providing some more evidence to Fred's point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

(07-11-2019, 08:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Brady, Marino, Manning...

Any other Hall of Famers we want to predict Dalton will turn into? Hah
You guys rely on an argument that has been proven wrong. And you think we sound stupid.  You just cant comprehend the fact that there were thoudands of dumbass fans who wete just as smug as you are know that were proven to br 100% wrong.  You are the guys from 1980 who were making fun of anyone who said Ken Anderson could win a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 10:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys rely on an argument that has been proven wrong. And you think we sound stupid.  You just cant comprehend the fact that there were thoudands of dumbass fans who wete just as smug as you are know that were proven to br 100% wrong.  You are the guys from 1980 who were making fun of anyone who said Ken Anderson could win a playoff game.

In all fairness, what kind of QB this side of Ryan Leaf can't win a playoff game?  I knew Palmer could win a playoff game like I know Dalton can win one.  Win it here, though?  That's where it gets trickier.  

Then again we are banking on our issues in prime time, the playoffs and vs the Steelers to have left with Marvin.  So we are now mostly smug that Marvin Would never have won a playoff game. 
Reply/Quote