Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's make or break year
Interesting article on players that are on the hot seat this year:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27148634/10-nfl-players-entering-make-break-years-how-leave-2020
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 01:38 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Interesting article on players that are on the hot seat this year:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27148634/10-nfl-players-entering-make-break-years-how-leave-2020

I really don't see it. Dalton would have to f-up to not be back in 2020.

I find it odd that players like DeVante Parker, who "...has never had 60 catches or 750 yards in a season..." is on the hot seat, but a guy like John Ross who hasn't had more than 210 yards isn't. It seems that the writer likes to consider dead money in contracts as the biggest motivating factor.

I did enjoy seeing Arte Burns being on the list though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 01:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I really don't see it. Dalton would have to f-up to not be back in 2020.

This.  I think people are just too carried away with the theory that  new coach has to have a new QB.

Not saying this could not be a "break" season for Dalton, but it would have to be really bad.
Reply/Quote
I could see the team moving on. I like Dalton, he's been better than average but that's it. No post season success and he just doesn't have the ability to carry the team when they need him. He needs all the weapons around him firing or it just doesn't work.

If he post another milk toast season it may be time to look for his successor. He's not getting younger or better. 2015 was along time ago.

I appreciate his time in Cincinnati and what he was able to do and if I'm wrong and Taylor is able to show his true potential I'll eat words. Frankly though I don't see it happening unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 02:09 PM)motoarch Wrote: I  He needs all the weapons around him firing or it just doesn't work.

Yeah, lets get one of those QBs who can pass for a lot of yards when his receivers don't have a lot of yards.

Hilarious

Like when Tom Brady threw for 300 yards, but his receivers only had 200 yards.
Reply/Quote
Hasn't it been his make or break season for 7 seasons running now?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 03:57 PM)jason Wrote: Hasn't it been his make or break season for 7 seasons running now?

Beat me to it.
Reply/Quote
It absolutely is. If he flounders and the team loses 10+ games, a full scale rebuild will be underway and Andy won't be here for it.

If he plays exceptionally well and they still lose 10+ games, we're still going to rebuild, and I'm guessing he'll still be playing elsewhere.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 04:52 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: If he plays exceptionally well and they still lose 10+ games, we're still going to rebuild, and I'm guessing he'll still be playing elsewhere.

Dalton won't be gone if he is not the problem.  That would be stupid.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 03:57 PM)jason Wrote: Hasn't it been his make or break season for 7 seasons running now?

I’m already prepared for the extension announcement regardless of what happens this season.
Reply/Quote
Its like the 20th year of Andy Dalton. If you don't know what you're getting by now, you're either blind or stupid.

Not saying what you are getting is good or bad - but lets be real...Andy is who he is.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don't think its his make or break season as I don't see the team taking a £17m cap hit to get rid of him at the end of the season/beginning of next season, I also don't see him getting an extension though.
I think if we have a bad season we will draft a QB next year who will probably get worked into the team over the season unless he is a top prospect then he will come straight in and Dalton could sit at no:2 for the remainder of his contract season.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  I think people are just too carried away with the theory that  new coach has to have a new QB. Not saying this could not be a "break" season for Dalton, but it would have to be really bad.
Agreed.  I know it's a new dey and all, but Mike Brown has yet to willingly move on from a franchise QB and I don't see why Dalton would be any different.  Dalton and Green seem content to be here for their entire careers, so ehh...let 'em I guess.

(07-09-2019, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton won't be gone if he is not the problem.  That would be stupid.

This.  For what it is worth, unless something insane happens Dalton isn't likely to be THE problem in Cincy ever.  Hell, we went into this draft saying we would be stupid to take a QB when o-line and LB are much bigger needs, and those two position groups alone are going to be reason enough for us to not take a QB in 2020, as well.  We could do the 2020 draft today and we'd still need o-line and LB more than QB...toss in the notion that Green/Boyd/Ross might not be here in 2 or so years and we have 3 WRs to pick before a QB.

I don't see us taking a QB until we are 3-13 again or Dalton demands a trade, which he won't. Maybe in 2024 if Dalton is talking retirement and he ends a losing season on IR...maybe.
Reply/Quote
This is the start of a 16 year plan. A marathon not a sprint. Dalton's probably got his spot for 2 more years no matter what (we'll give his replacement a year behind who will be the best bridge qb in the league for cheap).

ZT will get his qb and ride with him for the next 12-14 years.

The new day will come. It'll just be on MB time, and that could be longer than one might expect.

As for Dalton, he is what he is and he'll make or break dependent on his line play. I was more confident in a bounce back year before Williams went down. Now it's just a wait and see on how the line holds up. But even at Daltons worst we'll win 7 games as long as everyone stay healthy. So I don't see a complete meltdown this season if that's what you guys thinking it'll take.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 06:50 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I don't think its his make or break season as I don't see the team taking a £17m cap hit to get rid of him at the end of the season/beginning of next season, I also don't see him getting an extension though.
I think if we have a bad season we will draft a QB next year who will probably get worked into the team over the season unless he is a top prospect then he will come straight in and Dalton could sit at no:2 for the remainder of his contract season.

There is no cap hit if the team trades or cuts Dalton. He has no guaranteed money left on his contract.

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 07:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is the start of a 16 year plan. A marathon not a sprint. Dalton's probably got his spot for 2 more years no matter what (we'll give his replacement a year behind who will be the best bridge qb in the league for cheap).

ZT will get his qb and ride with him for the next 12-14 years.

The new day will come. It'll just be on MB time, and that could be longer than one might expect.

As for Dalton, he is what he is and he'll make or break dependent on his line play. I was more confident in a bounce back year before Williams went down. Now it's just a wait and see on how the line holds up. But even at Daltons worst we'll win 7 games as long as everyone stay healthy. So I don't see a complete meltdown this season if that's what you guys thinking it'll take.

What are the odds the next QB we take is as good as Dalton AND will take a team-friendly deal to get driven into the turf due to our FO's lackadaisical style?  The only competent QBs Mike Brown has willingly moved on from in almost 30 years are Kitna and Jeff Blake...maybe Neil O'Donnell, assuming he didn't want out after 98.

Time will tell, but Zac "thank you for keeping Bobby Hart" Taylor demanding we move on from Dalton just doesn't seem like reality to me at this psychological moment.  The Browns, ZT, and Dalton could choose to stick together for a long time.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton won't be gone if he is not the problem.  That would be stupid.

If you're not part of the answer, you're part of the problem.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 04:52 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: It absolutely is. If he flounders and the team loses 10+ games, a full scale rebuild will be underway and Andy won't be here for it.

If he plays exceptionally well and they still lose 10+ games, we're still going to rebuild, and I'm guessing he'll still be playing elsewhere.

If he plays exceptionally well, it seems like losing ten or more games would be a virtual impossibility.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It doesn't really make sense to move on from Dalton unless one of two things happens: he seriously regresses/implodes or they find someone who's as good or better. Not many people in the world can do what Andy Dalton does. Not many active qbs have had regular season records like Dalton had in 2015. 
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, lets get one of those QBs who can pass for a lot of yards when his receivers don't have a lot of yards.

Hilarious

Like when Tom Brady threw for 300 yards, but his receivers only had 200 yards.

That's not the point and you know it.

The point is a guy like Tom Brady doesn't need his best players suited up and playing well.  He can toss it to any scrub behind a line made of Swiss cheese and still win.
Reply/Quote