Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's replacement
I know the team are still in love with Dalton but do you see us taking a QB in this years draft in preparation of moving on from Dalton in a couple of years.
I'm not convinced at all with any of the other QB's on the team at the moment but I don't know if we would wait or possible take one in the later rounds and give him a couple of years to settle in.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 02:28 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I know the team are still in love with Dalton but do you see us taking a QB in this years draft in preparation of moving on from Dalton in a couple of years.
I'm not convinced at all with any of the other QB's on the team at the moment but I don't know if we would wait or possible take one in the later rounds and give him a couple of years to settle in.

I think it would be the prudent approach to start grooming a QB behind AD. If Dalton continues to struggle you have to eventually find his replacement. If Dalton plays well you still need a competent back up similar to the situation we had with AJ or just take a look at Philly superbowl run.

In the end, regardless of your opinion on Dalton, someone needs to come in here that the franchise feels confident in in case of injury or Dalton struggling.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 02:37 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I think it would be the prudent approach to start grooming a QB behind AD. If Dalton continues to struggle you have to eventually find his replacement. If Dalton plays well you still need a competent back up similar to the situation we had with AJ or just take a look at Philly superbowl run.

In the end, regardless of your opinion on Dalton, someone needs to come in here that the franchise feels confident in in case of injury or Dalton struggling.

Hobson mentioned it could be early if someone dropped. Like white,
Reply/Quote
No we should not be looking for a replacement for Dalton because that guy we would draft could be taking a place of a guy who can get snaps.
For me it's simple if Dalton sucks then you release him the next year and draft a QB early, If he is good then there is no reason for a replacement, and if he gets hurt well let's give Barkley a chance.
The only way I see us drafting getting Dalton Replacememnt is if some team who doesn't have a QB would want him and would be willing to pay the steep price for him. Then I think the Bengals would consider.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Myself, I would rather fix the interior of the offensive line this year with the nice prospects there.....it's a deep draft for that.  Next year, I would absolutely be on the lookout for his replacement.  Unless by some miracle one of the top rated guys falls in our lap this year, I'd remain focused on the line.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 02:28 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I know the team are still in love with Dalton but do you see us taking a QB in this years draft in preparation of moving on from Dalton in a couple of years.

If we were in a true place to draft the best player available and did not have huge holes, I would say yes. But since we need to have our 1st rounder and 2nd rounder step in and contribute by week one (something that has not happened for years with our drafts while Steelers and others hit their early picks), I say no. I would rather see us go sign Kaepernick (whom I loathe as a person) to back up Dalton for a league minimum deal for 2 years.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'd rather get players that can contribute, but Dalton will be 30 and probably won't be around in 4 years. Thus it's possible, and not bad to try to get a steal (White/Falk, ) late and groom him for the next couple years. This is the year to do it because scouts are already saying the 2019 class is a bad class. So it's get your qb of the future now or wait until 2020/2021

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Only way I'd bite on a QB in the 2nd round is if someone like Mayfield inexplicably fell that far. Since there is little liklihood of that happening, the 3rd round is the earliest I'd go. First two rounds should be used on players that can hopefully contribute right away.

Obviously there's a lot of rhetoric here, but assuming the Bengals are able to improve the offensive line, and assuming playmakers like Green, Eifert, and Mixon stay healthy most of the season, then I'd treat this as the "prove it" season for Dalton. If all the pieces fall into the right place and he's not able to get it done, then it's time to look for a genuine replacement next off-season.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I would not be surprised to see us take a QB. If not to replace Dalton then at least to replace Driskel,

But I would be very surprised if it was before the fourth round.

Andy Dalton is a healthy, solid starter on a very team friendly contract for 3 more years. We have much bigger needs to draft than a replacement for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 09:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Myself, I would rather fix the interior of the offensive line this year with the nice prospects there.....it's a deep draft for that.  Next year, I would absolutely be on the lookout for his replacement.  Unless by some miracle one of the top rated guys falls in our lap this year, I'd remain focused on the line.

This x 100

Fix the problems we have now and try to win something instead of drafting bench warmers with high draft picks. 

That strategy wears me out and costs us often. 

QB's come out of college more pro ready than ever. We can do that next year or year after even. Fix the trenches. 

If we were unhappy with Dalton then we should have traded him and kept AJM. 

Now if one that they like is there in the 4th or 5th round then ok but have much bigger needs then QB and WR. 

Would not mind seeing Eifferts replacement drafted per his health being a question mark though. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I would not be surprised to see us take a QB.  If not to replace Dalton then at least to replace Driskel,

But I would be very surprised if it was before the fourth round.

Andy Dalton is a healthy, solid starter on a very team friendly contract for 3 more years.  We have much bigger needs to draft than a replacement for Dalton.

and THIS 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I could see Mike Brown wanting to take a QB in the early rounds if for some reason one of the top prospects fell. I don't think Merv though will draft a QB - no matter who it is - prior to the later rounds because I think he's going all in to win now and I don't think Brown will push that hard for one.

I'd be surprised if we don't draft a QB, but I expect it to be no sooner than the 5th round.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 09:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Myself, I would rather fix the interior of the offensive line this year with the nice prospects there.....it's a deep draft for that.  Next year, I would absolutely be on the lookout for his replacement.  Unless by some miracle one of the top rated guys falls in our lap this year, I'd remain focused on the line.

Totally agree,

Fix the O-line and get a LBer are the top priorities in my mind. After that maybe a TE, S, DT ? 

If they wanna roll the dice on a very late round prospect sure.
Reply/Quote
All of us kids want the new shiny toy for Christmas.

But sometimes the socks, underwear, and shoes with a few less shiny toys are better for us.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I was thinking myself of taking a QB in the later rounds as I believe we need a C and LT in the first 2 rounds. Maybe use one of the 3rd or 4th rounds picks on a really good prospect, I just wasn't sure if we would use one of our picks this year or go round 1 next year if Dalton stinks this year
Reply/Quote
The only way I even look at replacing Dalton is if he doesn't rebound this year. But I'd be shocked if he doesn't rebound in a major way with a semi decent line. I'd take that bet any day.

Also, not sure why people are already bringing up age. I wouldn't even sweat that til he's 35 or so. Pocket QBs age better than any position outside of kicker. Just look at all the QBs who play well until they hit 38 or 40. It's not just great QBs, either. Guys like Josh McCown and Palmer aged well.

Arms age much better than legs I guess.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd be all for taking one of the top prospects even steeler fans want Rudolph bad,they think he's big Ben 2.0. But I know better they won't take one early,Josh Allen could probably be there round 2 and they'd pass him up. They don't want the qb controversy no more.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 03:24 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: No we should not be looking for a replacement for Dalton because that guy we would draft could be taking a place of a guy who can get snaps.
For me it's simple if Dalton sucks then you release him the next year and draft a QB early, If he is good then there is no reason for a replacement, and if he gets hurt well let's give Barkley a chance.
The only way I see us drafting getting Dalton Replacememnt is if some team who doesn't have a QB would want him and would be willing  to pay the steep price for him. Then I think the Bengals would consider.

[Image: raw]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 11:44 AM)Go Cards Wrote: This x 100

Fix the problems we have now and try to win something instead of drafting bench warmers with high draft picks. 

That strategy wears me out and costs us often. 

QB's come out of college more pro ready than ever. We can do that next year or year after even. Fix the trenches. 

If we were unhappy with Dalton then we should have traded him and kept AJM. 

Now if one that they like is there in the 4th or 5th round then ok but have much bigger needs then QB and WR. 

Would not mind seeing Eifferts replacement drafted per his health being a question mark though. 

I agree on most of this.

However I wouldn't like them to use a high draft pick on a TE this draft.

3rd round would be the highest for me.

The 1-2 rounds almost have to be day one starters for this team in my opinion.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 03:18 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I'd be all for taking one of the top prospects even steeler fans want Rudolph bad,they think he's big Ben 2.0. But I know better they won't take one early,Josh Allen could probably be there round 2 and they'd pass him up. They don't want the qb controversy no more.
hes not making it out of the top 10 let alone second round.
Reply/Quote