Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's replacement
(03-24-2018, 11:19 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I know he won't. I see how it could be hard to understand what I was saying. But hypothetically if he did drop the Bengals would pass. And the fans would justify it lol.

Got it, I think it would be difficult to pass on him in the second, easy to pass on him in the first.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 12:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When was the last time OSU produced an NFL starting QB?

Tate Martell might be decent in a few years... Provided they don't turn him into a one-read, running QB and he grows another 3-5 inches (allegedly he's 5'11... Maybe in the right pair of shoes and a helmet)
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 11:19 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I know he won't. I see how it could be hard to understand what I was saying. But hypothetically if he did drop the Bengals would pass. And the fans would justify it lol.

If they did take him in thre second round fans like you would be complaining because "Every other team was smart enough to pass on him, but Mike Brown can't resist trouble"

lol 
Reply/Quote
I dont know about replacement, but as of now if something happens to Dalton, they will have not have a chance with Barkley or Driskel in there.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 11:29 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I dont know about replacement, but as of now if something happens to Dalton, they will have not have a chance with Barkley or Driskel in there.

Depends on how long we're talking. If Dalton were hurt for an entire season, I didn't have any faith in McCarron to keep us winning for an entire season. After all, he did go 2-3 as a starter in a season where we were 10-2 with Dalton. His only wins came against terrible 49ers and Ravens teams led by Gabbert and Mallet.

If we're talking 3-4 games, I think Barkley can do a similar job to McCarron. In 6 starts, he led the Bears to 21+ points 4 times. With the Bengals defense, that'd be good enough to pull out a win a couple times and keep us afloat, assuming we're in it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If they did take him in thre second round fans like you would be complaining because "Every other team was smart enough to pass on him, but Mike Brown can't resist trouble"

lol 

Yeah rright I wouldn't complain at all. But the Dalton die hards would I can hear it now. Whaaat we don't need a qb Dalton is NOT THE PROBLEM
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 12:43 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Yeah rright I wouldn't complain at all. But the Dalton die hards would I can hear it now. Whaaat we don't need a qb Dalton is NOT THE PROBLEM

I think the majority understand Dalton is no Brady, Rodgers, Ben or Brees. The problem is finding the next one HOF QB likely will not happen with a 21st pick or worse in an NFL draft, more likely just another QB with similar skill sets and just a different name with no NFL experience. So, a crap shoot finding an elite QB not drafted in top 5 picks of each draft in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think it's a little soon to draft his "replacement". Like some others, I would rather they used this year's draft to get some guys that can contribute right away. Most certainly focusing on the OL.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 12:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the majority understand Dalton is no Brady, Rodgers, Ben or Brees. The problem is finding the next one HOF QB likely will not happen with a 21st pick or worse in an NFL draft, more likely just another QB with similar skill sets and just a different name with no NFL experience. So, a crap shoot finding an elite QB not drafted in top 5 picks of each draft in my opinion.

If I was an owner or GM for that matter, if I could get the same production for a fraction of the cost...  I'd consider it.

I just don't think the Bengals in particular are looking to replace Dalton at this point in time as a starter.

So if you pine for a QB in perhaps the next season or seasons to come then "Yes" absolutely consider a QB to slide to you.

The reality of the situation is unless Dalton gets injured and a Wally Pip scenario happens you're SOL in your hopes of replacing him.

I'd like to believe that they are in a "win now" mode of thinking with the current team.

But who really knows??
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 02:28 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I know the team are still in love with Dalton but do you see us taking a QB in this years draft in preparation of moving on from Dalton in a couple of years.
I'm not convinced at all with any of the other QB's on the team at the moment but I don't know if we would wait or possible take one in the later rounds and give him a couple of years to settle in.

NO
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 12:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the majority understand Dalton is no Brady, Rodgers, Ben or Brees. The problem is finding the next one HOF QB likely will not happen with a 21st pick or worse in an NFL draft, more likely just another QB with similar skill sets and just a different name with no NFL experience. So, a crap shoot finding an elite QB not drafted in top 5 picks of each draft in my opinion.

give dalton an offensive line..hes good enough to go deep in the layoffs or superbowl
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 01:18 PM)cooper Wrote: give dalton an offensive line..hes good enough to go deep in the layoffs or superbowl

Absolutely right. When Andy Dalton gets protection and the running game is average or better, he can light up the scoreboard.
Reply/Quote

If I knew we would get an elite guy, sure draft him. As it stands, I think we have too many other things to worry about to be taking some flawed QB prospect to replace Dalton 2-3 years down the road. Especially when (a) Dalton is only 30 and likely has at least 5 years left and (b) I'd pretty much guarantee he rebounds now that the line (probably) won't be historically bad.

Not that he was all that bad last year, considering the circumstances.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 12:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Depends on how long we're talking. If Dalton were hurt for an entire season, I didn't have any faith in McCarron to keep us winning for an entire season. After all, he did go 2-3 as a starter in a season where we were 10-2 with Dalton. His only wins came against terrible 49ers and Ravens teams led by Gabbert and Mallet.

If we're talking 3-4 games, I think Barkley can do a similar job to McCarron. In 6 starts, he led the Bears to 21+ points 4 times. With the Bengals defense, that'd be good enough to pull out a win a couple times and keep us afloat, assuming we're in it.

Which means squat to me, because Dalton had all of offseason to prepare as the starter with a few years under his belt starting, where as McCarron missed a most of his rookie season. By the time McCarron started in his second year after Dalton went down, he had very limited playing time in preseason with scrubs, and limited snaps in practice with the first team.

Anyways not to derail this into a McCarron thread (which you as a mod started  Ninja )I will take McCarron and quite a few backup qbs that were on the market in a second before who the Bengals currently have. Which was my original point, because I have no confidence in either of the two guys period, regardless who their predecessor was.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 01:31 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Which means squat to me, because Dalton had all of offseason to prepare as the starter with a few years under his belt starting, where as McCarron missed a most of his rookie season. By the time McCarron started in his second year after Dalton went down, he had very limited playing time in preseason with scrubs, and limited snaps in practice with the first team.

Anyways not to derail this into a McCarron thread (which you as a mod started  Ninja )I will take McCarron and quite a few backup qbs that were on the market in a second before who the Bengals currently have. Which was my original point, because I have no confidence in either of the two guys period, regardless who their predecessor was.

Not sure how I was derailing anything by bringing up McCarron strictly for comparison with Barkley...especially when I was responding to a post questioning our backup situation, but ok. I think we're both in line with the thread. ThumbsUp

To the bolded, that could be said about almost any backup. Point is, he went 2-3. That's about what I'd expect from any semi-decent backup on a good team. If we're a good team this year, I could see Barkley going 2-3 against the same type of schedule. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 01:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure how I was derailing anything by bringing up McCarron strictly for comparison with Barkley...especially when I was responding to a post questioning our backup situation, but ok. I think we're both in line with the thread. ThumbsUp

To the bolded, that could be said about almost any backup. Point is, he went 2-3. That's about what I'd expect from any semi-decent backup on a good team. If we're a good team this year, I could see Barkley going 2-3 against the same type of schedule. 

Except that Barkley isnt even a semi-decent backup, and was one of the worst free agent quarterbacks on the market. Bengals could have done better, but instead went with a guy that they know for 100% certain wont cause any sort of 'qb controversery'. 

Anyways, they definitely wont be looking to draft a replacement, and I doubt they even draft a qb as much as I disagree with them about.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 01:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Absolutely right.  When Andy Dalton gets protection and the running game is average or better, he can light up the scoreboard.

Like in 2014 when again he couldn't beat the Steelers or win a playoff, the OL only gave up 21 sacks all season. 
Reply/Quote