Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's replacement
If a top QB fell, I’d hope the Bengals did due diligence in discovery why.

Andy is a good QB with several more years left in the tank. There’s no reason to think about his replacement for a while.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 02:28 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I know the team are still in love with Dalton but do you see us taking a QB in this years draft in preparation of moving on from Dalton in a couple of years.
I'm not convinced at all with any of the other QB's on the team at the moment but I don't know if we would wait or possible take one in the later rounds and give him a couple of years to settle in.

We should wish this is all the team has to worry about. It would mean the team is perfect at every position and Bengals have just won the Super Bowl.  The reality is Bengals have had back to back losing seasons. The Bengals had the worst offensive line in the NFL going into 2017 season, and it showed. No blocking means no running, no pass protection, no passing, no offense, no points, and lucky Dalton wasn't career injured behind that line. Of course the blocking was so bad against play-off teams like Jacksonville that they had to take Dalton out of the game due to no blocking and save him for another day.  Besides blocking the team is not as deep at RB and WR as we Bengals Fans always fool ourselves in every year, saying we have all this talent, must be coaching. Truth is, we aren't Super Bowl deep on the bench at all.  Now I like our defense better than our offense but it needs players added also.  Mostly LB and Safety. I need to point out that the team has not been good because the players have not been that good. Many weak areas. This is no Super Bowl team by any stretch of the imagination after 2017, but it could be.  

So Bengals went out and got this quarterback right after McCarron left. The QB they got, the offensive coach wanted him. On getting this QB, Bengals say they are pretty set at QB with Dalton, the QB they brought in and the third QB that looked good before he got injured. A starter and 2 back-ups makes QB not a needs position. Bengals even say adding this QB makes it possible to address their needs areas in F/A and The Draft.  Bengals need help just about everywhere on this team except quarterback.  

Now the GOOD NEWS.  Bengals didn't go 0-16 like Browns, who by the way still have more weak areas than any team in NFL.  Bengals have won 6 and then 7 games last 2 seasons. A drop off from 5 straight play-off seasons.  If Bengals make play-offs THIS SEASON,  they go play-offs 6 out of 8 seasons and 7 out of last 10 seasons. That is 70 % in play-offs which is great by Bengals History Standards.  If Bengals can improve the blocking, it helps the offense but it also helps the defense. Less 3 and outs gives the defense more time to get a breather.  I think our defense does great going back on field after all these 3 and outs, I really think they keep the points down considering how little the offense helps them, but they are only human. The flesh is weak.  Improved blocking improves offense and defense.  I really believe our O Line reached rock bottom and we will now see it get better. No place to go but up.  This team is going to look 100 times better when the playbook plays have blocking.  This team started 8-0 three seasons ago. Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap showed they can WIN when team has blocking and tackling. I really think this team can get back to that 8-0 start type team.  Maybe not 8-0 start, but wins in the play-off giving the chance to win just one game to make Super Bowl.  As I saw in 1981, and 1988, when it comes down to AFC Championship. Any Given Sunday Luck can put you in Super Bowl.  This team took a step back from 2015, but with the coaches they brought in, the player moves they are making, the Window Of Opportunity Is Not Closed on Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap Era.  This team CAN return to 2015 WIN MODE as before Dalton was injured in 2015, and Go For That Super Bowl. 

That's the Good and Bad of it.  The team has set themselves up not to need a QB in the draft.  They have new coaches and are bringing in Blockers and Tacklers.  The great coach Knute Rockne said fans love the 4 Horsemen, the famed finesse players of the Notre Dame team of legend. He said without Blocking and Tackling they would never win a game. At one point he thought the 4 Horsemen were reading too many of the newspaper clippings and getting the big heads. He started a game with the back-up blockers. At halftime the 4 Horsemen had looked awful. Coach Rockne then told them it takes all the players to make a team.  He was sending them on the field in the second half with the first string blockers, but for them to never ever forget that without the blockers and tacklers, they don't get to be the fan favorites at QB, RB, WR.  THAT is why I think Bengals can win quick and fast with improved Blocking and Tackling, and it is Blocking and Tackling that has put Bengals in Super Bowl and will again. My hopes are high on Bengals if they improve the Blocking and Tackling, and I'm sure it will be better than 2016 and 2017 and Bengals kick the door open back into play-offs.  If the Bengals improve and win 3 more games, they go 10-6. With improved Blocking and Tackling, they get more wins, that's just basic football. I would rather see this team bring in needed blocking and tackling than go out and get any NFL All-PRO's at QB, RB and WR that you can think of because of the basic football story of Knute Rockne. You give Dalton, Green, Atkins and Dunlap better blockers and tacklers and this Super Bowl trophy I use as our goal avatar picture becomes possible. Without blocking, forget about it. No QB ever has ever won in the NFL without blocking, it can't be done. The good news is, I think we can have that much needed blocking in 2018.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
They won't be drafting his replacement now. Why would they do that given Dalton's current years left in his contract, he's at begining prime age for a QB (30), and the fact that they love him?

If they do draft his successor, it would be when Dalton has a year left on his current deal AND they have decided NOT to extend him again. Not with 3 fricking years remaining. With the current cba's draft contract rules, that makes ZERO sense. The guy who hasn't played would have the Bengals by the throat for an extension without having played much, if at all.

They're not drafting his replacement any time soon. It's just not happening. I don't think they even take a QB before round 6, if at all. They have 3 young ones in the roster already Dalton, Driskel, Barkley. Why the hell do then want to spend a draft pick on a 4th qb they will cut? They signed Barkley so they don't have to.

Pay attention to contracts, ages of players, and the CBA rules and try to have some foresight. You're supposed to be Bengals superfans for F's sake.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 02:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The only way I even look at replacing Dalton is if he doesn't rebound this year. But I'd be shocked if he doesn't rebound in a major way with a semi decent line. I'd take that bet any day.

Also, not sure why people are already bringing up age. I wouldn't even sweat that til he's 35 or so. Pocket QBs age better than any position outside of kicker. Just look at all the QBs who play well until they hit 38 or 40. It's not just great QBs, either. Guys like Josh McCown and Palmer aged well.

Arms age much better than legs I guess.

With the way the rules protect a QB he’s got ample time left in his career.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes. Simply put, I think Dalton is done here in two years when his contract expires. I think it would be wise to draft somebody now to learn from Dalton and groom him for the future.

Preferably, I would like it if we could steal Mason Rudolph from the steelers (who I'm 99% sure they plan on drafting at some point).
Reply/Quote
I would love to see us draft a QB early to take over when Andy's contract expires, we release after this year as there will be no dead money, or we trade for picks if Andy turns it around. The Pats are pretty good and they have been following this strategy from the day we drafted Andy Dalton (Mallet, Jimmy G.).

WTS, I believe this team is in a "win now" instead of a rebuilding mode. So if they take a QB it will be very late. Perhaps someone like JT Barrett
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If someone falls to them somewhere in the middle rounds then yeah, grab him, but unless he's got star written all over him just go ahead and wait. I don't want to wait until Dalton is too old to effectively play the position, but no need to have a potential big star sitting on the bench another 4 years .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 02:28 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I know the team are still in love with Dalton but do you see us taking a QB in this years draft in preparation of moving on from Dalton in a couple of years.
I'm not convinced at all with any of the other QB's on the team at the moment but I don't know if we would wait or possible take one in the later rounds and give him a couple of years to settle in.

Definitely should start thinking about it.  Does anyone think Dalton is going to have his career defining moment here? Or do you think that this is the best he will ever be. Good enough to get to the playoffs, not good enough to win
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 10:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I would love to see us draft a QB early to take over when Andy's contract expires, we release after this year as there will be no dead money, or we trade for picks if Andy turns it around. The Pats are pretty good and they have been following this strategy from the day we drafted Andy Dalton (Mallet, Jimmy G.).

WTS, I believe this team is in a "win now" instead of a rebuilding mode. So if they take a QB it will be very late. Perhaps someone like JT Barrett

Barrett? Really ? That's like drafting Rona Barrett, the Hollywood wisperer.. When was the last time the Bengals drafted an Ohio State QB? 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 10:44 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Definitely should start thinking about it.  Does anyone think Dalton is going to have his career defining moment here? Or do you think that this is the best he will ever be. Good enough to get to the playoffs, not good enough to win

Start thinking about it? I'm pretty sure they think about it every year . Heck , I just started thinking about getting old, but I'm not quite ready to get my replacement quite yet .

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 07:59 AM)ah5 Wrote: hes not making it out of the top 10 let alone second round.

I know he won't. I see how it could be hard to understand what I was saying. But hypothetically if he did drop the Bengals would pass. And the fans would justify it lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 10:44 AM)grampahol Wrote: When was the last time the Bengals drafted an Ohio State QB? 

When was the last time OSU produced an NFL starting QB?
Reply/Quote

Certainly understand the desire to bring in a viable future QB. Barkley certainly isn't ever going to be that guy.

But the team has to fix the OL completely, then we'll see if Dalton is going to improve. The front office let everyone down with their OL policies and it cost the team dearly.

Dalton needs to not only return to his 2015 form, but he needs to actually win in big games and the playoffs. If he can't do that then there's really no point in keeping him around. He's better than a lot of guys but if the team actually cares about a championship then they need to bring in a QB who is capable of winning a championship. Dalton just hasn't been that guy to date and the team can only go so long before they have to admit it to themselves that he'll never be the guy.

His performance in 2018 will likely be the deciding point. If he has more bad prime time games and throws up in the play offs again I'd say his time is up and the team will draft a replacement in 2019.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 10:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I would love to see us draft a QB early to take over when Andy's contract expires, we release after this year as there will be no dead money, or we trade for picks if Andy turns it around. The Pats are pretty good and they have been following this strategy from the day we drafted Andy Dalton (Mallet, Jimmy G.).

Pats are great and not pretty good. However, they pay a hall of fame QB 10 million less a year than his true value (Thanks to Brady wanting great players around him and he makes as much money in endorsements that most QB's make in salary) so hardly an apples and apples comparison. One team HOF coach and HOF QB while Bengals have neither.

I know AD will never be HOF caliber, however on a team with major weaknesses on both sides of the ball drafting a the 5th best QB in a draft at 21 likely gets you another AD ceiling type QB versus a Tom Brady. Pats had a franchise QB with Bledsoe and drafted a 6th round project named Brady for the record.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Team has much bigger needs than back-up QB.
Reply/Quote
I agree. The timing just isn't right for a qb right now.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 10:48 AM)grampahol Wrote: Start thinking about it? I'm pretty sure they think about it every year . Heck , I just started thinking about getting old, but I'm not quite ready to get my replacement quite yet .

Lol, I was meaning someone who is capable of playing QB, not just a body.  I honestly dont think there is a replacement for you grampahol. 
Reply/Quote
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/luke-falk?id=2559938
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote

No.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 01:38 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/luke-falk?id=2559938

He's a guy whose name gets tossed out there fairly often when talking about the guys after the top QB's and he's usually third round or later.   There are people who think he can be a franchise QB.  What are the chances there is a team who agrees and grabs him in the 2nd?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote