Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton says offense is “all new”
(04-17-2018, 11:39 AM)grampahol Wrote: Hopefully they don't go back to the ultra predictable run run pass philosophy of the Brat era.. I don't think they do, but only time will tell. 

I doubt it. That was initially an Air Coryell type offense offense built to suit Carson's strengths. Gruden implement a west coast type offense to fit Dalton's strengths.

As far as the run run pass punt crap, I'm a firm believer that Marvin started dipping his hand in the offensive play calling circa 2007. Brats offense with Palmer, Chad, TJ, Chris Henry, Rudi, etc. was incredible early on. Then became bland and unoriginal over time. It may have been because our once great offensive line gradually fell apart, but I remember the play calling itself was infuriating. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 11:58 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I'm hoping Van Pelt improves Dalton's footwork in the pocket. Rodgers has impeccable footwork. If he can improve Dalton's footwork even a little bit that'd be huge. Combine that with a better offensive line and better play calling and we're looking a lot better.

(04-17-2018, 07:34 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If Frank Pollack can teach the offensive line how to create and sustain a pocket in the first place....

Im thinking back to the bengals packer game this year. Rodger’s pocket was collapsing every play and his footwork was godly. Id love for dalton to learn some of that technique. And yea, i want to see a much improved offensive line.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How about some simple changes, like passing and running out of the same formation so we don't instantly give the play away by how we line up? Also get rid of a lot of the timing routes until we are 100% sure our line can hold blocks long enough for the plays to develop.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 07:12 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Huh... That makes me nervous.

Why? You afraid we might score a second half td?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 11:58 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I'm hoping Van Pelt improves Dalton's footwork in the pocket. Rodgers has impeccable footwork. If he can improve Dalton's footwork even a little bit that'd be huge. Combine that with a better offensive line and better play calling and we're looking a lot better.

First Rodgers is on a planet on his own how he throws the ball off the ground, 2nd hard i rather we actually keep him up right so he can throw the ball at all...

give Andy a bit more time and YES SIR.....
Reply/Quote
well, if there is offense chemistry with this new bunch, then we MAY finally win our first playoff game. CHEMISTRY is the key word here.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 09:14 PM)motoarch Wrote: Why?  You afraid we might score a second half td?

Ha! Good point. But no, I'm more worried about Dalton being in a completely different offensive system than he's ever been. Sounds like the scheme that Gruden installed was still being run to some extent. Gruden drafted Dalton because he fit that offense. I hope Lazor and van pelt don't try to force Dalton's square peg into a round hole (giggity   Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 02:47 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Im thinking back to the bengals packer game this year. Rodger’s pocket was collapsing every play and his footwork was godly. 

And if people judged QBs by watching them play instead of how many Super Bowls they win Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs in the history of the game.  I'd take him over Brady.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 12:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And if people judged QBs by watching them play instead of how many Super Bowls they win Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs in the history of the game.  I'd take him over Brady.

I'm totally amazed by Rogers.   The best skills in the game and even more unflappable than Brady.  
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 02:47 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Im thinking back to the bengals packer game this year. Rodger’s pocket was collapsing every play and his footwork was godly. Id love for dalton to learn some of that technique. And yea, i want to see a much improved offensive line.

Rogers is amazing.   Here's an interesting thing I heard Dan Orlovsky say yesterday about Sam Darnold, that he was the best QB (in the draft) when his footwork had gone to the dogs.   He could make really good throws when his feet were bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 07:01 PM)Trademark Wrote: “This is a complete change,” Dalton said, via ESPN.com. “What we were doing before was basically Jay [Gruden’s] offense with the adaptation of Hue [Jackson], he put his stuff on it, then [Ken Zampese] took over and he did his thing. Now we’re starting from square one. This is all new.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/16/andy-dalton-on-bengals-offense-its-all-new/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I have to say I think the most exciting thing about this offseason is the way Lazor has orchestrated the revamping of the offense - from his background/ experience to his vision to his gathering the staff necessary to implement his plan to his designing what he wants to do around the strengths of his current players.

I'm sure one of the differences here is that the former OCs did not discuss what was happening behind the scenes, but I am very impressed at the comprehensive nature of and logic of his plan.  The fact that the core of his offense are not only challenged but excited by the changes excites me a great deal.   If the Bengals give him the appropriate offensive line I think we could have a heck of an offense - especially considering their successes at the end of 2017 before the major changes.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lazor-oversees-offenses-hybrid-evolution/1bfe8aa7-e5c0-494f-b582-80373b46e859
Reply/Quote
Seeing Tyler Eifert able to work out with the team instead of rehabbing on his own this offseason is heartening. Maybe his new mullet will give him special powers?
[Image: tempIMG_4905--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG]
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This is great news, IMO. After 7 years, I imagine things are pretty stagnant and a new offense should keep the older veterans from "going through the motions" this off-season. 

At the very least, this will keep them mentally engaged. It will also make us less predictable for awhile. Also it's worth noting that Tannehill had a career year in the first year in Lazor's system, and the Dolphin's run game averaged 4.7 YPC (2nd in the NFL). 

For reference, the Bengals have not averaged 4.7 YPC since 2000.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 05:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is great news, IMO. After 7 years, I imagine things are pretty stagnant and a new offense should keep the older veterans from "going through the motions" this off-season. 

At the very least, this will keep them mentally engaged. It will also make us less predictable for awhile. Also it's worth noting that Tannehill had a career year in the first year in Lazor's system, and the Dolphin's run game averaged 4.7 YPC (2nd in the NFL). 

For reference, the Bengals have not averaged 4.7 YPC since 2000.

4.7 YPC would be like a dream.  I'd even settle for being able to run it up the gut with confidence on 3rd and 3 and 4th and 1.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 05:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 4.7 YPC would be like a dream.  I'd even settle for being able to run it up the gut with confidence on 3rd and 3 and 4th and 1.

If we can run the ball with any kind of success I'll be elated ! IMHO our complete lack of any kind of average running game has been our downfall the last several seasons. 

It's 3rd and a foot and we drop back to pass because everybody knows if we try and run it it'll be stuffed. That has to stop !
Reply/Quote
I'm just hoping they get the plays in faster. Half the time it seemed like they were coming up to the line with less than 10 seconds on the play clock. How many timeouts have we wasted the last few years because Dalton would just be getting under center with 3 seconds left?
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 09:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If we can run the ball with any kind of success I'll be elated ! IMHO our complete lack of any kind of average running game has been our downfall the last several seasons. 

It's 3rd and a foot and we drop back to pass because everybody knows if we try and run it it'll be stuffed. That has to stop !

Remember 2009? Just hand the ball to Cedric Benson on third down and the chains would move.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 02:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Remember 2009?  Just hand the ball to Cedric Benson on third down and the chains would move.

Yeah.....with an extra tackle and a fullback....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 12:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah.....with an extra tackle and a fullback....

...and unbalanced lines, loading the right or left then usually running in that direction. 

Even with all that, we still finished 20th in YPC. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 01:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and unbalanced lines, loading the right or left then usually running in that direction. 

Even with all that, we still finished 20th in YPC. 

Yeah....it just boggles my mind that people were defending Piano Man some 8 years later.  Hell, even fred said it was time to go after last season....but I've seen a post or two that hinted at absolving him of any blame for the current fiasco up front.  I'm like....WTF? Shocked

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote