Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton says offense is “all new”
“This is a complete change,” Dalton said, via ESPN.com. “What we were doing before was basically Jay [Gruden’s] offense with the adaptation of Hue [Jackson], he put his stuff on it, then [Ken Zampese] took over and he did his thing. Now we’re starting from square one. This is all new.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/16/andy-dalton-on-bengals-offense-its-all-new/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Huh... That makes me nervous.
Reply/Quote
So last year's offense was just the '15 offense after Zampese "did his thing" to it?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 07:12 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Huh... That makes me nervous.

This makes me feel better. With all the talent the Bengals have, they should be scoring sixty points per game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 07:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So last year's offense was just the '15 offense after Zampese "did his thing" to it?

Yes. Lazor said in an interview after the season like it was calling plays from 3 different books with different chapters randomly sewn together. None if it went together or was congruent, so he said he wanted to just install an entirely new.offense.and blow the old Frankenstein one up.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 08:17 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Yes. Lazor said in an interview after the season like it was calling plays from 3 different books with different chapters randomly sewn together. None if it went together or was congruent, so he said he wanted to just install an entirely new.offense.and blow the old Frankenstein one up.

Good.
Reply/Quote
Good. It was becoming pretty obvious that there was no consistent philosophy behind the play designs and selection - while an individual play might look good as a whole they did not compliment each other.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 08:07 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This makes me feel better.  With all the talent the Bengals have, they should be scoring sixty points per game.

If they fix the O-line.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 07:01 PM)Trademark Wrote: “This is a complete change,” Dalton said, via ESPN.com. “What we were doing before was basically Jay [Gruden’s] offense with the adaptation of Hue [Jackson], he put his stuff on it, then [Ken Zampese] took over and he did his thing. Now we’re starting from square one. This is all new.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/16/andy-dalton-on-bengals-offense-its-all-new/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Bad part is may take time to get it working. But good part is opposing teams will have to throw out their old books on Bengals offense.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping Van Pelt improves Dalton's footwork in the pocket. Rodgers has impeccable footwork. If he can improve Dalton's footwork even a little bit that'd be huge. Combine that with a better offensive line and better play calling and we're looking a lot better.
Reply/Quote
I love it because the play calling had become a bit stale and it seemed like we were just doing the same thing over-and-over and it was very blah.

I also love this:

Quote:Wide receiver A.J. Green said the work presents “a challenge” and it’s one the Bengals need to meet if they are going to improve on last year’s shabby offensive showing.

because we need to challenge our guys and change things up a bit to bring some fire into what we're doing. Guys aren't going to be excited if it's the same thing that hasn't been bringing us much success the past two seasons (or even the fire prior) because they know that it has become bland.
Reply/Quote
This is good news. Last year felt like a continuous loop of Groundhog Day.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 11:58 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I'm hoping Van Pelt improves Dalton's footwork in the pocket. Rodgers has impeccable footwork. If he can improve Dalton's footwork even a little bit that'd be huge. Combine that with a better offensive line and better play calling and we're looking a lot better.

If Frank Pollack can teach the offensive line how to create and sustain a pocket in the first place....
Reply/Quote
If anything on this team needed to be completely blown up and rebuilt from the ground up, it was the offensive playbook. Good news......
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 07:12 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Huh... That makes me nervous.

Nah man.....'member how defenders over the last few seasons said they knew what we running before we did?  This will at least remove the predictability of the offense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 08:07 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This makes me feel better. With all the talent the Bengals have, they should be scoring sixty points per game.

Can I have some of what you’re smoking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 09:20 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Nah man.....'member how defenders over the last few seasons said they knew what we running before we did?  This will at least remove the predictability of the offense.

Either:

1. They all lie (highschool antics; everyone used to say that)
2. They study the team so much via tape and all that jazz, that they know a good portion of what they can expect.

The latter has to do with good preparation on the opponent's part, not because our playbook is, "predictable."

Not saying I'm not all for this (I am, oh GOD I am lol), but I just don't take opponent's words for it, in situations like this.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 10:26 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Either:

1. They all lie (highschool antics; everyone used to say that)
2. They study the team so much via tape and all that jazz, that they know a good portion of what they can expect.

The latter has to do with good preparation on the opponent's part, not because our playbook is, "predictable."

Not saying I'm not all for this (I am, oh GOD I am lol), but I just don't take opponent's words for it, in situations like this.

I get all that....but it sure seemed like the coverage was all over our routes a great deal of the time.  Now, that could be due to poor play by our WRs, but I recall some jumped routes, and very tight coverage.  Good homework + predictable (i.e. not many changes) offense = defenses ahving a greater understanding of your tendencies.....IMO.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 09:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Nah man.....'member how defenders over the last few seasons said they knew what we running before we did?  This will at least remove the predictability of the offense.

Predictability has been an issue for the past 15 years  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Hopefully they don't go back to the ultra predictable run run pass philosophy of the Brat era.. I don't think they do, but only time will tell. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote