Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Coughlin
(10-20-2016, 11:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: There's too much fear of regressing that it's preventing the ability to progress.

Some people bring up the Reds letting go of Dusty Baker and now the Reds are in much worse shape. I, for one, was and still am happy that Dusty Baker was let go. At least the Reds were willing to try something new. It just hasn't worked out (yet at least).

The same results over and over cause frustration and boredom.

Reds let Baker go, but they let the pitching staff go with him. Not unlike the Bengals,however; they promoted from within instead of going out and getting a real experienced coach. Bengals could have promoted from within on Zimmer or Hue and made that fly as well instead of looking elsewhere;, but just like with Bill Walsh, that ship has sailed too. They have turned their player drafts around in recent years,though. Maybe, just maybe, their coaching "draft" will turn around as well and we will be pleasantly surprised there too. Hey, I can dream, but they need to do something, I'm running out of years to see the dream come true.
Reply/Quote
Fire Zampese and hire Coughlin as OC?
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 07:56 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Tom Coughlin has coached teams to Super Bowl wins with far less talent than the 2011-2016 Bengals.

Not going go argue that Coughlin was not a good coach, but he didn't have "far less talent" than Marvin has had these last few years.  The Giants had several Pro Bowl and All Pro type players.  Manning, Cruz, Diehl, Snee, JPP, Tuck, Rolle. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That ship has sailed, and I feel like Coughlin's style doesn't blend well with the modern game.  The modern incarnation of a coach like Coughlin?  Mike Zimmer.

And he is 70 years old....So next year he would be 71 if we hired him.....Sorry, that is NOT planning for the future.....I am 61 going 62 and I can say it without being age discrimination. ..Why not just hire a coach 81 or 91 or 101.....71 is too old...I'm a fan not even considering replacing Coach Lewis. I can see Reds dumping Price, he stinks, but Lewis just put together 5 straight play-off seasons and I want to see him at the helm as these 2011 players on who are no longer new but veteran leadership. ...........Certainly no old fart like Coughlin. ...When Bengals replace Lewis, do it within with a good young coach on the team. I think Steelers did that after Cowher and the team didn't weird off in another direction. A coach in his 40's or 50s, not frigging 71 years old. At my age or his age, if you go to sleep and wake up not dead you are doing something. 71 is too old....You kids don't know, you think it is just grey hair, I use to think that. You kids have no idea how bad the body gets inside and out. Well, you are near death. Kids don't get that. You might as well be talking hiring somebody 101.....I'm 61, I just had my wife's funeral last year and I have my death plans all laid out, and I guarantee you that a 71 year old coach is a bad idea..... Draft for the future, what future, dude is 71 ????
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 06:59 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Just curious if you guys would consider Coughlin an upgrade over Lewis. I don't know if Lewis will be canned but that's not the point. People either seem to love him or hate him personally I think he was an awesome no non-sense coach but I fear he might be getting up there in age and maybe the game has left him behind. It wasn't too long ago though that he was coaching the Giants to 2 Superbowl victories against one of the greatest coaches ever. One of them was a team trying to go undefeated. His teams were rarely consistent though.

Coughlin is pretty old man and i don't know if he would bring that discipline and in your face coaching that i think we need.

I know i cannot stand the guy but Cowher or even Jon Gruden would be my top 2 choices at this moment.

I also liked Vance Joseph while he was here if we wanna go the young route with someone who knows the team.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not going go argue that Coughlin was not a good coach, but he didn't have "far less talent" than Marvin has had these last few years.  The Giants had several Pro Bowl and All Pro type players.  Manning, Cruz, Diehl, Snee, JPP, Tuck, Rolle. 

Not only that but even with the talent, the Giants backed into the playoffs both years as a Wild Card team at 9-7 and 10-6.  They just got hot and lucky at the perfect time!

Let me add this, the Giants, in those two years, were, without a doubt, the most inconsistent SB champion team EVER!!
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 11:17 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Give me Vance Joseph any day.

I agree, I think Vance is the best and most realistic replacement out there.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 12:24 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That was Coughlin before the players almost had a mutiny. After he chilled a bit, two Super Bowl wins. 

Not really. 08 Coughlin was still hard ass Coughlin. Hell, he was just as hard in 11'.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2016, 05:10 AM)Older Than You Wrote: Not really. 08 Coughlin was still hard ass Coughlin. Hell, he was just as hard in 11'.

Yeah, really. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-giants-coughlin-idUSKBN0UJ26Y20160105

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If we get rid of Marv, it is time to hire a strict coach for the young guys. I think Coughlan is the one. He seems to have a relationship with Mike. Let him bring in his own assistants. This is a young and talented team. Someone could win right away.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2016, 11:17 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, really. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-giants-coughlin-idUSKBN0UJ26Y20160105

Not really. Coughlin was still hard nosed. More so than Lewis or Zimmer. Nothing in that article refutes anything I've said. Again, with someone harder than those two we would either straighten up or buck and crumble. So looks like everything I've said stands.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 10:41 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You're absolutely correct and I had it totally backwards!  I figured since Mike was the owner that he got his way but that's not the case.

Love Coughlin, he was the coach I wanted in 2003, and I do think he'd still be an upgrade for a few years. That said, at 71, he's about done. I'd prefer someone younger.

Then again, maybe that age makes him a perfect candidate. If he failed, Mike Brown wouldn't be able to keep him around for 20 years ala Marvin. Plus this core only has a few years left anyway. Give it a shot with Coughlin, then rebuild with someone else a few years down the road.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote