Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton vs Green Bay
Andy Dalton has only played the Packers once in his career - 2013 in Cincinnati. The Bengals won that game 34-30. Dalton threw 28 passes, completing 20 (71.4%) for 235 yards and a 1 INT. His QB rating that game was 105.5. He was also sacked 4 times that game.

It's only 1 game ... under a different OC (which was Gruden, correct?) but it shows that Dalton CAN overcome GB's defense. Though, let's be honest, back then it was more of wondering if our defense could slow down Rodgers.

Here's to hoping that Lazor can come close to replicating that production from Dalton.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 12:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Andy Dalton has only played the Packers once in his career - 2013 in Cincinnati. The Bengals won that game 34-30. Dalton threw 28 passes, completing 20 (71.4%) for 235 yards and a 1 INT. His QB rating that game was 105.5. He was also sacked 4 times that game.

It's only 1 game ... under a different OC (which was Gruden, correct?) but it shows that Dalton CAN overcome GB's defense. Though, let's be honest, back then it was more of wondering if our defense could slow down Rodgers.

Here's to hoping that Lazor can come close to replicating that production from Dalton.

This is Dalton's wheelhouse.  I saw a stat the other day that showed something about his starts and when the Bengals ran the ball more than 30 times.  It was like 80% or so of those games were won.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 01:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is Dalton's wheelhouse.  I saw a stat the other day that showed something about his starts and when the Bengals ran the ball more than 30 times.  It was like 80% or so of those games were won.

I would say that's usually the case for most QBs. I remember Palmer was something like 80% (if not higher) wins when the Bengals ran 25 times or more in a game. This is usually because when teams build a lead, they tend to run the ball more. With marvin as HC, all it takes is a single point lead to then let up and start running more.
Reply/Quote
Wasnt that the game where Green Bay scored like 30 points unanswered, then Bengals came back and scored 20 unanswered points to win it.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 01:33 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Wasnt that the game where Green Bay scored like 30 points unanswered, then Bengals came back and scored 20 unanswered points to win it.

Yup......wild one.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 01:33 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Wasnt that the game where Green Bay scored like 30 points unanswered, then Bengals came back and scored 20 unanswered points to win it.

I believe so. IIRC, we went up 17-0, they came back and it was 30-17 then we scored the last 17. That turned out to be an entertaining game to watch. We were so hyped at the start, then bummed and pissed when they got their 30th points and then ecstatic when we took the lead and won the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 01:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is Dalton's wheelhouse.  I saw a stat the other day that showed something about his starts and when the Bengals ran the ball more than 30 times.  It was like 80% or so of those games were won.

You reminded me. I've been meaning to post this:

[Image: 21752437_10214331817875188_8301280155644...e=5A5BDD22]

Look at the TD's per game. 1.0 for Zamp, 1.47 for Hue and 1.59 for Jay. Also, if you exclude Dalton's rookie year, he had a higher rating under Jay than Zamp.

Obviously Hue got the most out of him, and that was with a more balanced offense you alluded to.

This is less relevant to your post, but I'll throw it in:

[Image: 21686255_10214331818075193_1611047004271...e=5A55401D]

Zamp has struggled mightily in the red zone.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 12:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Andy Dalton has only played the Packers once in his career - 2013 in Cincinnati. The Bengals won that game 34-30. Dalton threw 28 passes, completing 20 (71.4%) for 235 yards and a 1 INT. His QB rating that game was 105.5. He was also sacked 4 times that game.

He should have his best game of the year for sure this Sunday, the Packers are really banged up in the secondary and Mike
Daniels is out who is very underrated IMHO. Plus, i really like Bill Lazor, he should be a major upgrade over Zamp who was
even worse than Brat for heck sake calling plays.

We definately can win this one if Dalton gets back to his old self and stops throwing picks.

I picked the Packers to win but wouldn't be surprised if we go in there and get a win.

Both their starting Tackles are out too last i heard and their starting Center. Rodgers might have a rough day against our D.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 02:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He should have his best game of the year for sure this Sunday, the Packers are really banged up in the secondary and Mike
Daniels is out who is very underrated IMHO. Plus, i really like Bill Lazor, he should be a major upgrade over Zamp who was

We definately can win this one if Dalton gets back to his old self and stops throwing picks.

I picked the Packers to win but wouldn't be surprised if we go in there and get a win.

Both their starting Tackles are out too last i heard and their starting Center. Rodgers might have a rough day against our D.

Sounds like a low scoring affair with plenty of sacks for both teams.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 02:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He should have his best game of the year for sure this Sunday, the Packers are really banged up in the secondary and Mike

Whoa! Let's not get carried away here. Brat makes Zamp look like a genius calling plays. If forced to choose give me Zamp any day
Reply/Quote
Those above numbers include playoff games. Just looking at regular season (and excluding Dalton's rookie year):

Jay:
34.8 attempts/game
248.8 yards/game
1.88 TD's/game
1.13 INT's/game
88.1 passer rating

Hue
29.9 attempts/game
229.2 yards/game
1.52 TD's/game
0.83 INT's/game
93.6 rating

Zampese
34.9 attempts/game
255.6 yards/game
1.00 TD's/game
0.67 INT's/game
87.1 rating

The biggest thing that stands out is the red zone struggles. Hue did seem to get the most out of Dalton with a balanced offense, but Jay was able to get big numbers out of Dalton with him chucking it around a bunch. The only thing I will say for Zamp is that he dealt with the worst o-line.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 02:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sounds like a low scoring affair with plenty of sacks for both teams.

Does, Ty Montgomery and Mixon i think are the wild cards in this game.

(09-21-2017, 02:15 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Whoa! Let's not get carried away here. Brat makes Zamp look like a genius calling plays. If forced to choose give me Zamp any day

Alright, alright, maybe i went a little too far lol
Reply/Quote

Bengals are the one team left in the league Rodgers hasn't beaten I believe....
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 02:15 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Whoa! Let's not get carried away here. Brat makes Zamp look like a genius calling plays. If forced to choose give me Zamp any day

cant recall to many games where BRAT's teams failed to score a TD
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 02:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: cant recall to many games where BRAT's teams failed to score a TD

2001- shut out 3 times (Bears, Browns, Ravens)
2002- held to 2 FG's vs Chargers and held to a FG vs Falcons (scored only 23 points in first 4 games)
2004- held to 3 FG's vs Ravens
2005- held to a FG vs Chiefs
2008- held to 2 FG's vs Texans, held to a FG vs Ravens and Colts
2009- blanked vs Jets
2010- held to 5 FG's vs Ravens

So Brat was held without a TD 12 times in 10 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 02:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Bengals are the one team left in the league Rodgers hasn't beaten I believe....

Give it a week.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 03:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2001- shut out 3 times (Bears, Browns, Ravens)
2002- held to 2 FG's vs Chargers and held to a FG vs Falcons (scored only 23 points in first 4 games)
2009- blanked vs Jets

God, I forgot Brat was here so long. And notice he was here BEFORE Lewis. Does not bode well for us if Brown does hire someone outside the organization as the new HC, they'll probably have to go with the same staff as Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 03:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: God, I forgot Brat was here so long. And notice he was here BEFORE Lewis. Does not bode well for us if Brown does hire someone outside the organization as the new HC, they'll probably have to go with the same staff as Lewis.

When Marv was hired, we kept almost the entire offensive staff in place. Brat, Paul Alexander, Jim Anderson and an offensive assistant were all retained.

Probably because Marv had a defensive background...and Mike hates change. This is partly why I want an offensive-minded coach next. I like our coaches more on the defensive side of the ball and wouldn't mind if we kept them.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 03:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: God, I forgot Brat was here so long. And notice he was here BEFORE Lewis. Does not bode well for us if Brown does hire someone outside the organization as the new HC, they'll probably have to go with the same staff as Lewis.

Brat was let go just to try and appease Palmer. Imagine how much longer he would've been here if Palmer didn't demand a trade.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 03:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2001- shut out 3 times (Bears, Browns, Ravens)
2009- blanked vs Jets

any of those back to back? and I don't know if it would have matter who our OC was in 2001 lol
Reply/Quote