Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalvin Cook- Bench Press
Unless I miscounted, the video of Cook raising 225 on NFL.com looked like 22 reps.

That's damn impressive for a guy his size and speed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 07:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Unless I miscounted, the video of Cook raising 225 on NFL.com looked like 22 reps.

Where did you catch this video ?  I don't know why the NFL network doesn't broadcast them.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 07:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Unless I miscounted, the video of Cook raising 225 on NFL.com looked like 22 reps.

I watched it as well. Pretty sure it was 22.Impressive!!
That's LB and Lineman numbers. To compare I think McCaffrey had like 10.
(03-02-2017, 07:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: Where did you catch this video ?  I don't know why the NFL network doesn't broadcast them.

On NFL Network my man. That's where I watched it.
Reply/Quote
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/2/14796202/2017-nfl-combine-results-running-backs-leonard-fournette-dalvin-cook-christian-mccaffrey

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 08:25 PM)Okeana Wrote: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/2/14796202/2017-nfl-combine-results-running-backs-leonard-fournette-dalvin-cook-christian-mccaffrey

If Samaje Perine runs well, he should earn himself a substantial raise. 30 is crazy for a RB!
Reply/Quote
Oh no, not the annual bench press off. C'mon guys, it's 2017. Everyone knows that bench press for reps at a set weight isn't a real measure of body power or explosiveness, but rather execution of a trained single movement.

Don't believe me? Remember when everyone went gaga over Russell Bodine repping for 42? All that really did was show how well he could push himself backwards, off an oncoming defensive lineman.. If the NFL wanted to use a weighlifting move to show the real power of an athlete, I'm going to reflect back to a BengalRugby argument from the old days, it should at least be the Olympic style clean. Adding my own caveat, I say clean and press. As it requires speed and strength from the entire body, equating in a good measure of athletic power.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 09:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh no, not the annual bench press off.  C'mon guys, it's 2017.  Everyone knows that bench press for reps at a set weight isn't a real measure of body power or explosiveness, but rather execution of a trained single movement.

Don't believe me?  Remember when everyone went gaga over Russell Bodine repping for 42?  All that really did was show how well he could push himself backwards, off an oncoming defensive lineman..  If the NFL wanted to use a weighlifting move to show the real power of an athlete, I'm going to reflect back to a BengalRugby argument from the old days, it should at least be the Olympic style clean.  Adding my own caveat, I say clean and press.  As it requires speed and strength from the entire body, equating in a good measure of athletic power.

You're correct as far as BP usually equates to jack squat on the field and I'm with you on it. That said, watching the fight and determination of the guys as they push themselves, helps to show the " fight in the dog" so to speak imo.

As long as the big boys are within the acceptable range it's all good for them. As you mentioned it's more about core and lower body strength for them, but for RBs it shows ability to stiff arm/shed arm tackles.

In Samaje's case 30 shows that his upper body is more than on par with his giant legs. Scouts probably already expect his lower body to be strong.  He shows glimpses of Earl at times....At times. His speed will be one of his first hurdles.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 09:43 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: You're correct as far as BP usually equates to jack squat on the field and I'm with you on it. That said, watching the fight and determination of the guys as they push themselves, helps to show the " fight in the dog" so to speak imo.

As long as the big boys are within the acceptable range it's all good for them. As you mentioned it's more about core and lower body strength for them, but for RBs it shows ability to stiff arm/shed arm tackles.

In Samje's case 30 shows that his upper body is more than on par with his giant legs. Scouts probably already expect his lower body to be strong.  He shows glimpses of Earl at times....At times. His speed will be one of his first hurdles.

Wait, what?  If that is true, don't worry about his speed.  Once he takes the toss sweep, makes a stiff arm, hip chucks the shoulder of the next would-be tackler, he's off to the races.  And then, those skinny ass DBs are going to be too scared to touch him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wait, what?  If that is true, don't worry about his speed.  Once he takes the toss sweep, makes a stiff arm, hip chucks the shoulder of the next would-be tackler, he's off to the races.  And then, those skinny ass DBs are going to be too scared to touch him.

Lol...Damn, if only drafting was that easy. Comparing him to Mr. Campbell is probably a stretch & high praise, but he does have a similar build. Earl was a lot quicker than most of his opponents realized. He had power but could run. If Samaje hits a 4.5 and has good cone drills, his stock should rise.

By no means trying to hi-jack thread. I love Cook. Im down with either LF or Cook at #9 cause they're both instant upgrades and playmakers.

Ts, I like SP as one of the "other" backs.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 07:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: Where did you catch this video ?  I don't know why the NFL network doesn't broadcast them.

They are milking folks for some "VIP pass" and no longer giving free links to it all.  What I saw was just a clip in an article.  I was boarding a plane so I apologize that I couldn't look for it.  
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 08:25 PM)Okeana Wrote: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/2/14796202/2017-nfl-combine-results-running-backs-leonard-fournette-dalvin-cook-christian-mccaffrey

Perine did 30?  Damn!

I thought Conner looked taller than 3' 1" in the games I saw him play.   Smirk
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 09:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh no, not the annual bench press off.  C'mon guys, it's 2017.  Everyone knows that bench press for reps at a set weight isn't a real measure of body power or explosiveness, but rather execution of a trained single movement.

Don't believe me?  Remember when everyone went gaga over Russell Bodine repping for 42?  All that really did was show how well he could push himself backwards, off an oncoming defensive lineman..  If the NFL wanted to use a weighlifting move to show the real power of an athlete, I'm going to reflect back to a BengalRugby argument from the old days, it should at least be the Olympic style clean.  Adding my own caveat, I say clean and press.  As it requires speed and strength from the entire body, equating in a good measure of athletic power.

I just thought it was impressive for Cook, who I took as more of a speed merchant.  And I wouldn't fall in love with a lineman's bench as much as his squat...as that is where his power would be.  I would guess Ogbuehi squats about 50 lbs.  
Reply/Quote