Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damion Willis waived-again
For the 2nd time, this season Damion Willis has been sent packing. This, of course, is opening up the roster spot for John Ross. Stanley Morgan plays special teams, which likely saved his job. There is an open spot on the practice squad so Willis is likely to land there again unless he is lucky enough to be claimed...which is doubtful, he hasn't shown enough.

Considering, they still had the option to IR AJ Green and didn't, we must assume that they are still hoping he plays at least 1 game this season...also seemingly doubtful

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
At this point, I feel like they are just trolling fantasy football owners who still have Green.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 08:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: At this point, I feel like they are just trolling fantasy football owners who still have Green.

LOL I tried trading for him in one of my leagues, guy insisted he'd be back soon. So I kept waiting and waiting, never came back and I tried again and he's now saying he's gonna keep him for next year hahaha (it's a keeper league).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dumbest front office of all time, you cut josh malone 4.37 40 time,and cody core 4.46 40 time to keep damion Willis 4.48 40 time,only to basically not give him every opportunity during a totally wasted season..meanwhile you've suffered most of the season from a severe lack of speed at receiver..A.j green should've been IR a long time ago the handling of that situation just shows how incompetent this front office really is..
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:00 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Dumbest front office of all time, you cut josh malone 4.37 40 time,and cody core 4.46 40 time to keep damion Willis 4.48 40 time,only to basically not give him every opportunity during a totally wasted season..meanwhile you've suffered most of the season from a severe lack of speed at receiver..A.j green should've been IR a long time ago the handling of that situation just shows how incompetent this front office really is..

I'm with you on the AJ Green part.

They've played Willis in games. The issue is, while he has 4.48 speed...DB's have that speed too and he's really small...so throwing deep to him doesn't work out well. They needed to get him the ball in space.

Malone and Core are nothing special. Keeping them wouldn't have helped our issues.

The QB's basically had very little time to throw deep because of the line.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 10:00 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Dumbest front office of all time, you cut josh malone 4.37 40 time,and cody core 4.46 40 time to keep damion Willis 4.48 40 time,only to basically not give him every opportunity during a totally wasted season..meanwhile you've suffered most of the season from a severe lack of speed at receiver..A.j green should've been IR a long time ago the handling of that situation just shows how incompetent this front office really is..

Josh Malone hasn't made it off the Giant's practice squad
Cody Core has a total of 3 receptions...all in the 2nd game of the season...he hasn't even been targeted since.  Almost all of his snaps have been on special teams

So these are guys who can't make an offensive impact on 2 of the teams that are just as bad as the Bengals.  As a rookie, Willis still has potential growth whereas we knew that Core has bricks for hands and Malone tends to wander around lost on his routes something that another pair of OCs apparently agree with.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 12:15 AM)pally Wrote: Josh Malone hasn't made it off the Giant's practice squad
Cody Core has a total of 3 receptions...all in the 2nd game of the season...he hasn't even been targeted since.  Almost all of his snaps have been on special teams

So these are guys who can't make an offensive impact on 2 of the teams that are just as bad as the Bengals.  As a rookie, Willis still has potential growth whereas we knew that Core has bricks for hands and Malone tends to wander around lost on his routes something that another pair of OCs apparently agree with.

I'm not disagreeing, that's my argument why not just stick with Willis and give him every opportunity you can in a lost season??I mean we cut 2 draft picks with decent speed to keep him let the kid play..
Reply/Quote

Josh Malone isn't as fast on the football field as his timed 40. He is a guy that has to build up to that speed he doesnt explode off the line. Look at AJ Green he timed in at a 4.5 40 but hes consistently been the fastest timed WR while running his routes in OTAs for the Bengals. 

Don't get locked onto 40 yard dash times it is a box to check that is all.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
They are keeping AJ on the active roster for spite. MB is paying him and won't give him the satisfaction of IR because it will increase his value on the open market. Few teams will take AJ with a history of not being able to recover from a sprained ankle in a full season.
Reply/Quote
As expected, Willis clears waivers and is added back to the practice squad.

Reply/Quote

Wow, big difference between Core and Willis's times lol

Those guys sure went on to do big things, would be willing to bet Willis had the better season.

(12-03-2019, 11:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm with you on the AJ Green part.

They've played Willis in games. The issue is, while he has 4.48 speed...DB's have that speed too and he's really small...so throwing deep to him doesn't work out well. They needed to get him the ball in space.

Malone and Core are nothing special. Keeping them wouldn't have helped our issues.

The QB's basically had very little time to throw deep because of the line.

What? Willis is 6'3", that is really small?

The Line is the problem, correct.
Reply/Quote
Willis, like Core and Morgan and a thousand others are just fringe PS players let alone fringe active players.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 08:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, big difference between Core and Willis's times lol

Those guys sure went on to do big things, would be willing to bet Willis had the better season.

What? Willis is 6'3", that is really small?

The Line is the problem, correct.

Wow. He is listed at 6 foot 3. He looks smaller in games.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 08:26 PM)pally Wrote: As expected, Willis clears waivers and is added back to the practice squad.

How does this generational stud clear waivers each time?!

I felt bad when the vet receivers had to stand up for Zac's decision to move this guy up the roster before week 1. "Ya... Damion has really... worked hard and..... put the effort in... to get here......... yaaaa"
Reply/Quote

speed isn't everything when it comes to a WR, just ask out 9th overall pick John Ross
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 06:57 PM)pally Wrote: For the 2nd time, this season Damion Willis has been sent packing.  This, of course, is opening up the roster spot for John Ross.  Stanley Morgan plays special teams,  which likely saved his job.  There is an open spot on the practice squad so Willis is likely to land there again unless he is lucky enough to be claimed...which is doubtful, he hasn't shown enough.

Considering, they still had the option to IR AJ Green and didn't, we must assume that they are still hoping he plays at least 1 game this season...also seemingly doubtful

we are at least gonna make teams think they might have to cover AJ
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 09:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: How does this generational stud clear waivers each time?!

I felt bad when the vet receivers had to stand up for Zac's decision to move this guy up the roster before week 1. "Ya... Damion has really... worked hard and..... put the effort in... to get here......... yaaaa"

Don't you remember how 'refreshing' it was that Zac waived veterans for UDFA Willis! That would have NEVER happened under Marvin!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 07:31 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: The Damion Willis experiment was a flop for sure but he showed way more potential than Malone and Core did. It's not like we lost anything. Remember, half of this forum swore up and down Tate wouldn't amount to anything. Willis' strength is contested catches but looked uncomfortable outside of that. It might take one offseason for everything else to come together for him as it did for Tate. He could also be cut next season.

I do agree that Zac got wayyy too much praise for keeping Willis over Core, though. You knew what you had in Core and Malone could never put it together. Willis had the flash plays that put him over the top. I think most coaches would make that choice.

The Giants claimed Core, as everyone know's that they were really hurting for receivers due to free agency and injuries.  Thus far, Core has a whopping 3 catches for the season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/2980378/cody-core

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Josh Malone? Cody Core? Come on! We’re arguing over them? Really? This is so “Bengals.” We commiserate over players who we feel should start here but barely make other teams’ practice squads. Which wide receivers on the Cincinnati roster could start in New England, for example? Tyler Boyd? Maybe. AJ Green? Sure — if he’s healthy.

We need to raise our standards — me included — if we want to win big games.
Reply/Quote