Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn robots, taking our jobs !
I'm not sure where my opinion is, regarding this article.
It provokes a lot of thought on the socioeconomic level.
I believe I need to digest and ponder longer upon it.
As always, I eagerly await your input (get you mind out of the gutter).

http://aje.io/2f3q

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(02-27-2017, 04:52 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm not sure where my opinion is, regarding this article.
It provokes a lot of thought on the socioeconomic level.
I believe I need to digest and ponder longer upon it.
As always, I eagerly await your input (get you mind out of the gutter).

http://aje.io/2f3q

[Image: WQ2E.jpg]
(02-27-2017, 05:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: [Image: WQ2E.jpg]
Jerbs.....durka....derrrr !!
I don't like the thought of taxing them because they use a robot. That's their choice to operate a business in whatever way they see fit.

If you want businesses to reinvest in the economy, go back to taxing businesses 40-50% and ending deferments... you know... like when America was "great again."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-27-2017, 05:26 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't like the thought of taxing them because they use a robot. That's their choice to operate a business in whatever way they see fit.

If you want businesses to reinvest in the economy, go back to taxing businesses 40-50% and ending deferments... you know... like when America was "great again."
First we have to get everyone on the same page about how unsustainable our current social policies are amidst increasing automation.
Is it an American robot?  If not, we need stronger immigration robot laws. And a wall to keep the foreign robots out. Which of course will lead to robot coyotes to sneak the illegal robots across the border looking for automation work. Which will lead to us building a security fence on top of the wall and a moat. Basically, this is how Skynet starts.
(02-27-2017, 06:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Is it an American robot?  If not, we need stronger immigration robot laws. And a wall to keep the foreign robots out. Which of course will lead to robot coyotes to sneak the illegal robots across the border looking for automation work. Which will lead to us building a security fence on top of the wall and a moat. Basically, this is how Skynet starts.

You Robotaphobe they are a race of peace.

[Image: us-predator-drone1.jpg]

(Or pieces. Ninja )

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Remember the victims of Disney's Hall of Presidents massacre.

#unpresidented
(02-27-2017, 07:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Remember the victims of Disney's Hall of Presidents massacre.

#unpresidented
Once again....

My fecal matter is amiss !
After the nuclear holocaust the concern wont be taxing robots it will be whether we can defeat the robots led by cyborg Trump and survive as a species.
(02-27-2017, 11:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: After the nuclear holocaust the concern wont be taxing robots it will be whether we can defeat the robots led by cyborg Trump and survive as a species.
I've been practising by playing Fallout.
I feel I'm ready.
Ninja
(02-27-2017, 11:45 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I've been practising by playing Fallout.
I feel I'm ready.
Ninja

The part that nobody remembers about Fallout? There was like 85 years between the war and the games. Even if you survive the war somehow, you still die of old age before anything happens Roto. No protagonist life for you. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(02-28-2017, 01:38 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The part that nobody remembers about Fallout? There was like 85 years between the war and the games. Even if you survive the war somehow, you still die of old age before anything happens Roto. No protagonist life for you. Lol

Pffffttt.... already ahead of ya !
If the timeframe runs that long, I have plans to become brain-robot.

[Image: 320px-Fo4Robobrain.jpg?version=633b8bbb1...5f7a57b6e4]
(02-27-2017, 05:34 PM)treee Wrote: First we have to get everyone on the same page about how unsustainable our current social policies are amidst increasing automation.

If you've got any suggestions, my ears are open.

For more than a decade I've tried working with groups to promote 'shop local' efforts. Buy in your community, the money stays in your community. At the same time, I'm fighting my own parent company whose motto is 'a dollar today is worth more than two dollars tomorrow.' 
(02-28-2017, 01:53 AM)Benton Wrote: For more than a decade I've tried working with groups to promote 'shop local' efforts. Buy in your community, the money stays in your community.

Right on !
We have a lot of friends with small businesses.
We try to promote them, every chance we get.
Oddly, they are hard to get to cross-promote their fellow business members.
Verbally they will, but not with any "Friends Of" type of boards, or anything.
I'm tempted to jump on the "robots and AI are taking our jobs!!!!" bandwagon.

But similar has been said many times before. The difference this time is globalization. And the developed economies haven't figured out how to address it.

There is, however, clearly an endgame where the vast majority of jobs are done by AI and robots. I think if you do the math, it comes out to something like a 30% national equity stake. It's not an issue if the resources are there - but I saw recently that copper is starting to become a scarce.
--------------------------------------------------------

(02-28-2017, 06:47 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm tempted to jump on the "robots and AI are taking our jobs!!!!" bandwagon.

But similar has been said many times before.  The difference this time is globalization.  And the developed economies haven't figured out how to address it.

There is, however, clearly an endgame where the vast majority of jobs are done by AI and robots.  I think if you do the math, it comes out to something like a 30% national equity stake.  It's not an issue if the resources are there - but I saw recently that copper is starting to become a scarce.

It has already happened though in our history. U.S. Manufacturing plants that used to require far more people to run are now using robots instead of people. One of the reason manufacturing will never return in any significant way to the U.S. is because we will continue to use robots to offset production costs. McDonald's was testing ordering kiosks not long ago that would basically eliminate a large portion of their workforce, and that is in the service industry.
I will admit, I've been considering investing in these.

http://wonderpizzausa.com/

(02-28-2017, 12:10 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I will admit, I've been considering investing in these.

http://wonderpizzausa.com/

I'm still kicking myself. 20 years ago while I was in high school I had an idea about a vending machine for movie rentals. I worked at a car wash across the street from a local movie place and noticed on Saturday & Sunday mornings was when everyone did their returns. Like 7-9 a.m. So my thought was build a machine like a snack machine where they punch B4 to rent "Weekend at Bernies" or whatever, then pay a guy to make a route around noon emptying to dropoffs and restocking it.

I don't know how prevalent they are elsewhere, but now there's a Redbox about every two miles where I live.
(02-28-2017, 01:43 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm still kicking myself. 20 years ago while I was in high school I had an idea about a vending machine for movie rentals. I worked at a car wash across the street from a local movie place and noticed on Saturday & Sunday mornings was when everyone did their returns. Like 7-9 a.m. So my thought was build a machine like a snack machine where they punch B4 to rent "Weekend at Bernies" or whatever, then pay a guy to make a route around noon emptying to dropoffs and restocking it.

I don't know how prevalent they are elsewhere, but now there's a Redbox about every two miles where I live.
We have 2-3, in my town.
It was (obviously) a great idea.
However, once the nation is blanketed with high speed internet, streaming will turn Redboxes into fossils.

The deck is stacked against the little guy.
I just checked into a Rally's franchise, again.
They doubled the qualifications and added an application fee.
You need: $500,000 Net Worth, $250,000 Liquidable Assets, $160,000 Start Up cash, and $60,000 for the application fee.