Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damnit China! Damnit Amazon!
Ok, so I'm really happy right now but have been pissed for 2 weeks. I have been working on my mancave. Been busting my ass on this for months (not everyday, but when work will allow). Not to mention the neighbors tree debacle I experienced late Jan when destroyed my shed and punctured holes in the roof of the cave. So anyway, I'm pretty proud of myself right now for figuring this out.

I installed an antenna and bought a couple bundles RG6 cable. I want football heaven for free (well, as much as you can get without spending hundreds on Directv to operate 3 different TV's). I did all the wiring and hooked everything up. However, I had issues with our receiver pulling antenna channels (older receiver made in 2007 w/VCR/DVD/Surround Sound/ETC). It pulled none! However, I hooked up to the other 2 televisions which search on their own and they were pulling like 30 channels. This pissed me off because I knew I was going to have to buy yet something else on Amazon to assist.

I searched Amazon and found a digital TV receiver for about $40. So, I purchased. I hooked it up and for the last 2 weekends I have messed with it over and over but for the life of me I could not get this box to retrieve any channels. So today, I drink about 10 beers while messing yet again with this little box. After a lot of frustration, I sit down at the bar, light a smoke and crack another beer. Then I get to thinking!

I bet this little box is made in China? China has cheap labor and quite possible this was made by a tired, overworked child or adult who's mind wasn't really wrapped around the quality of the product. Quite possible my quest for free NFL was not top on their list? I have checked the connection over, and over, and over. So, what if, a tired worker actually put the "Antenna In" connection in the "Antenna out" portal? What if this thing is wired backwards? I mean, WTF do I have to lose? So I plugged the antenna into "Antenna out."

Not thinking I would be successful I did a channel search. BAM! 17 channels came up. This was like the 20th time I had did a search and finally received something. So, I'm happy I figured it out. Damnit China! Give your people a lunch break or something. Shocked

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Kudos for figuring that out HD.
Its' difficult to find products not made in china nowadays.
They even try to fool us by using " made in america "red, white, and blue tags, according to a news program years ago.
Reply/Quote
I had an uncle who got a new pair of glasses and complained about how he could not see clearly through them. HJis small son wasplaying with him one day and put the glasses on his dads face upside down. My uncle was able to see perfectly. The eye doctor had swithced the prescriptions for the right and left eye.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 09:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote:   The eye doctor had swithced the prescriptions for the right and left eye.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Hilarious

Reply/Quote
If it truly works then I think you owe 9 year old Ling-Ling an apology.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 07:34 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: If it truly works then I think you owe 9 year old Ling-Ling an apology.

I owe him 1/2 of an apology, and a cheeseburger.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 07:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I owe him 1/2 of an apology, and a cheeseburger.

Whereabouts do you live and what kind of channels are you getting?
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 07:51 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Whereabouts do you live and what kind of channels are you getting?

30 miles N. of Dayton. I get all the locals, 2 PBS stations and a religious station. I get ION, LAFF, and whatever I cant remember. I also get like 2-3 other channels from the CBS like whio-me etc. I don't know them all because I'm in the house and not in the cave. However, I have basic cable (for the internet) in the house, and I get more channels from my antenna than what I get on basic cable.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 09:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 30 miles N. of Dayton. I get all the locals, 2 PBS stations and a religious station. I get ION, LAFF, and whatever I cant remember. I also get like 2-3 other channels from the CBS like whio-me etc. I don't know them all because I'm in the house and not in the cave. However, I have basic cable (for the internet) in the house, and I get more channels from my antenna than what I get on basic cable.

Who is your cable provider? The reason I ask is most have apps that allow you to watch the cable on any networked device, at least while on your home network.
Reply/Quote
Ok, now pissed again. Went to the cave today, turned on box and displayed, "NO SIGNAL!" Gaah
I did a channel search and it pulled up nothing. Gaah Gaah

I did another channel search 30 seconds later? pulled up 3 channels. Shocked

Friggin China. Only one remedy here!

Im calling Trump!

[Image: 8c8781099-130828-coslog-tomahawk2-8p.nbc...00-480.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 09:26 AM)Au165 Wrote: Who is your cable provider? The reason I ask is most have apps that allow you to watch the cable on any networked device, at least while on your home network.

TWC. However, I have the basics for the house. Antenna for the MC. I have to run TC signal to a receiver to get to the projector to display on 12ft screen and surround sound.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 09:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: TWC. However, I have the basics for the house. Antenna for the MC. I have to run TC signal to a receiver to get to the projector to display on 12ft screen and surround sound.

If you use TWC you have access to the same cable you have in your house in your man cave via dongle/app/smart box. You could combo antenna and TWC out there. Not sure how far away your shed is, but may want to replace your wireless router to take advantage of it.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 01:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ok, so I'm really happy right now but have been pissed for 2 weeks. I have been working on my mancave. Been busting my ass on this for months (not everyday, but when work will allow). Not to mention the neighbors tree debacle I experienced late Jan when destroyed my shed and punctured holes in the roof of the cave. So anyway, I'm pretty proud of myself right now for figuring this out.

I installed an antenna and bought a couple bundles RG6 cable. I want football heaven for free (well, as much as you can get without spending hundreds on Directv to operate 3 different TV's). I did all the wiring and hooked everything up. However, I had issues with our receiver pulling antenna channels (older receiver made in 2007 w/VCR/DVD/Surround Sound/ETC). It pulled none! However, I hooked up to the other 2 televisions which search on their own and they were pulling like 30 channels. This pissed me off because I knew I was going to have to buy yet something else on Amazon to assist.

I searched Amazon and found a digital TV receiver for about $40. So, I purchased. I hooked it up and for the last 2 weekends I have messed with it over and over but for the life of me I could not get this box to retrieve any channels. So today, I drink about 10 beers while messing yet again with this little box. After a lot of frustration, I sit down at the bar, light a smoke and crack another beer. Then I get to thinking!

I bet this little box is made in China? China has cheap labor and quite possible this was made by a tired, overworked child or adult who's mind wasn't really wrapped around the quality of the product. Quite possible my quest for free NFL was not top on their list? I have checked the connection over, and over, and over. So, what if, a tired worker actually put the "Antenna In" connection in the "Antenna out" portal? What if this thing is wired backwards? I mean, WTF do I have to lose? So I plugged the antenna into "Antenna out."

Not thinking I would be successful I did a channel search. BAM! 17 channels came up. This was like the 20th time I had did a search and finally received something. So, I'm happy I figured it out. Damnit China! Give your people a lunch break or something. Shocked

(04-09-2017, 06:35 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was browsing on MSN and seen a quiz. Yes - one that doesn't ask you for an email address or anything but a good fun quiz! Claims to tell you your education level. I got 30 of 50 correct and said I had a bachelors degree. Well, I don't. I only have a certificate from a college in Logistics. However, I do read a lot and pay attention. So that helped me on the test. Plus, a few good guesses didn't hurt either.

Take a try.

http://definition.org/how-smart-are-you-quiz/1/

If you figured out the miswired receiver I don't think you need to take the take the written quiz. You passed the hands on portion of the test.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 02:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If you figured out the miswired receiver I don't think you need to take the take the written quiz. You passed the hands on portion of the test.

I'm a hands on type of guy. I have calluses on my hands. Well, at least one of them! Nervous

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 07:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I'm a hands on type of guy. I have calluses on my hands. Well, at least one of them! Nervous

That's what she said.
Reply/Quote