Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Graziano's favorite pick in the draft
https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/story/_/id/33884108/answering-2022-nfl-draft-biggest-questions-experts-debate-favorite-picks-top-rookie-classes-fantasy-stars-more

Dan Graziano, national NFL writer: S Daxton Hill to the Bengals at No. 31. I have to highlight what I thought was a really smart value pick by the defending AFC champs. The Bengals see Hill as a Swiss Army knife-type of defensive back who can play safety, slot corner and basically whatever else they need him to do in their secondary. They hit the offensive line hard in free agency, as they should have, but they had some holes to fill on defense, too. Hill can help them fill whatever those turn out to be. And he's not a bad leverage play for the team in case Jessie Bates III's contract dispute continues to linger.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 09:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/story/_/id/33884108/answering-2022-nfl-draft-biggest-questions-experts-debate-favorite-picks-top-rookie-classes-fantasy-stars-more

Dan Graziano, national NFL writer: S Daxton Hill to the Bengals at No. 31. I have to highlight what I thought was a really smart value pick by the defending AFC champs. The Bengals see Hill as a Swiss Army knife-type of defensive back who can play safety, slot corner and basically whatever else they need him to do in their secondary. They hit the offensive line hard in free agency, as they should have, but they had some holes to fill on defense, too. Hill can help them fill whatever those turn out to be. And he's not a bad leverage play for the team in case Jessie Bates III's contract dispute continues to linger.

And it was mentioned by his scout he’s a great fit for Zac’s culture he’s developed. Great practice player and team leader. Molds well with the culture Zac focused on.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 09:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/story/_/id/33884108/answering-2022-nfl-draft-biggest-questions-experts-debate-favorite-picks-top-rookie-classes-fantasy-stars-more

Good find. To back that up....

In the most recent episode of "Hear That Podcast Growlin" they did a long interview with a Bengals scout and covered every pick and why. He said that Dax Hill was his absolute #1  favorite player in the entire draft and they were shocked and elated that he was there at 31.

He spoke very highly of CTB as well.

Another interesting interview on the "Bengals Booth" podcast, a Bengals scout told Dan Horde that they had been scouting Cordell Volson for 3 years in hopes that he would come out and they loved him each draft season only to be bummed he would elect to forego the draft for another year at ND State. Basically said that they have heavily scouted the kid as a group and felt like he was the real deal.
Reply/Quote
I'm always happy to see the national media slinging praise toward the Bengals.

Even if Bates eventually is traded or departs in FA, the Bengals DB squad has good talent for years to come.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 09:24 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Good find. To back that up....

In the most recent episode of "Hear That Podcast Growlin" they did a long interview with a Bengals scout and covered every pick and why. He said that Dax Hill was his absolute #1  favorite player in the entire draft and they were shocked and elated that he was there at 31.

He spoke very highly of CTB as well.

Another interesting interview on the "Bengals Booth" podcast, a Bengals scout told Dan Horde that they had been scouting Cordell Volson for 3 years in hopes that he would come out and they loved him each draft season only to be bummed he would elect to forego the draft for another year at ND State. Basically said that they have heavily scouted the kid as a group and felt like he was the real deal.

Their favorite player in the ENTIRE draft? I mean I get trying to sell the pick...but cmon...even if they had the first pick in the draft they would have taken him? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 10:55 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Their favorite player in the ENTIRE draft? I mean I get trying to sell the pick...but cmon...even if they had the first pick in the draft they would have taken him? 

I'm assuming they are using "favorite player in the entire draft" within the context that there was value at pick #31? Not that he should have been the #1 pick.

Either way,  Who Dey Dax!
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 11:02 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm assuming they are using "favorite player in the entire draft" within the context that there was value at pick #31? Not that he should have been the #1 pick.

Either way,  Who Dey Dax!

Probably value and fit
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 09:24 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Another interesting interview on the "Bengals Booth" podcast, a Bengals scout told Dan Horde that they had been scouting Cordell Volson for 3 years in hopes that he would come out and they loved him each draft season only to be bummed he would elect to forego the draft for another year at ND State. Basically said that they have heavily scouted the kid as a group and felt like he was the real deal.

This is interesting... with that much time spent on 1 player you gotta think they know they have something.

But alas our O-Line scouting is not the best
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I really liked the Dax Hill pick.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Let's just hope these guys's college tape translates well to the NFL and they all avoid serious injuries..  You guys's knows what I'm's talkin about, right?  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Agree that Hill was the very best pick for the Bengals.

Yet Tobin was saying in an interview that the last pick (Gunter this year) is almost always the best value pick because they usually have a 4th round grade on them and don't draft until the 7th round.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 11:04 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Probably value and fit

My assumption as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 12:52 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree that Hill was the very best pick for the Bengals.

Yet Tobin was saying in an interview that the last pick (Gunter this year) is almost always the best value pick because they usually have a 4th round grade on them and don't draft until the 7th round.

Gunter seems like a pleasant character that'll for right in with the team.  From what I understand, he's got a lot of positive qualities but what dropped him was his tight hips.  The team seemed to have liked the coastal Carolina players. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'm liking this draft more and more. Hill and CTB for sure, both have potential to contribute yr 1 in impactful ways. Reading about Tycen really has me intrigued though. Seems like a classic boom or bust situation there. RAS is off the charts. Anyone here think they have plans to try convert him to another position or are they just hedging against the possibility of loosing both bates and von?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 10:55 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Their favorite player in the ENTIRE draft? I mean I get trying to sell the pick...but cmon...even if they had the first pick in the draft they would have taken him? 

That is what the Bengals Director of College Scouting, Mike Potts said..... That Hill was his favorite player he had scouted throughout the entire draft process.

Don't shoot the messenger, but that is 100% what was said on the podcast! This was the Athletic Bengals specific podcast. It is free to listen to if you want to check it out! "Bengals Draft B3hind the Scenes w/ Mike Potts". It's about 45 mins long, but they cover the Hill pick 1st and go in order.
Reply/Quote
the description of swiss army knife DB makes me happy too
Reply/Quote
I really believe he's gonna be a gem.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 11:11 AM)QueenCity Wrote: This is interesting... with that much time spent on 1 player you gotta think they know they have something.

But alas our O-Line scouting is not the best

I think this was Pollack's first "pick", where it has his fingerprints all over it.  Remember the offensive line coach ZT started with?  Jim Turner?  

I'm not going to lump Pollack in to the same group of folks (Tobin) that had them drafting Ogbuehi and Fisher, although to be fair, I think Fisher had real potential.  
Reply/Quote

Agree with an espn dude WTF?

Yeah, kind of surprised Dax was there and I heard the same from the Coaches and FO. Dax can play all the spots in the Secondary 
and could even play WILL Linebacker for us if we needed him to. The best insurance pick we could ever get honestly for our needs
right now and what is going on at the moment.
Reply/Quote