Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dan Orlusky … shotgun vs under center… bengals run game
There’s two things going on. The offense needs rhythm and 2nd and 10 doesn’t cut it. Forget PA or RPO. The other is being able to convert on third 1 or 2. We can’t do either. You can talk about tendencies and tipping off plays all you want but the bottom line is the Bengals OL and run game has not been proficient for years. The talk of Mixon being washed up or dancing around too much is all peripheral. The OL for whatever reason hasn’t gotten the job done. It’s past time to figure it out.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 11:19 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: There’s two things going on. The offense needs rhythm and 2nd and 10 doesn’t cut it. Forget PA or RPO. The other is being able to convert on third 1 or 2. We can’t do either. You can talk about tendencies and tipping off plays all you want but the bottom line is the Bengals OL and run game has not been proficient for years. The talk of Mixon being washed up or dancing around too much is all peripheral. The OL for whatever reason hasn’t gotten the job done. It’s past time to figure it out.

Joe Mixon ran for 1200 yards last season behind one of the worst Olines in NFL history ! There's more to the problem than just the Oline.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 11:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Joe Mixon ran for 1200 yards last season behind one of the worst Olines in NFL history ! There's more to the problem than just the Oline.

Sure there is but 1200 yards is great but we all know how poor we were running the ball when we had to whether in the Redzone or short yardage. Then there’s the sacks.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 11:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Joe Mixon ran for 1200 yards last season behind one of the worst Olines in NFL history ! There's more to the problem than just the Oline.

One of the worst pass blocking lines in nfl history...no one talks about their performance in the run game...which apparently they were much better at. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Might help if Joe B was better with his play action fakery.. He just kind of waves the ball in Mixon's general direction for a split second..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Joe hates it under center. And was listening to Dehner and Morrison. They’ve confirmed through Callahan that Mixon is tipping off run and pass plays.

Joe...Burrow or Mixon?

I'm curious regardless what the reasoning is?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Bengals aren't really attacking the holes in the natural leverage of the defense instead tying to manufacture gaps. Its frustrating.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 05:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Joe...Burrow or Mixon?

I'm curious regardless what the reasoning is?

Joe Burrow hates under center.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Huh ? So the defensive guys say they have a much harder time defending against a QB under center ? And they play action does confuse them at times. So perhaps we do need to practice and work on our play action game ?

one area Burrow had not improved much is playa ction, he rarely did it at LSU and really does not sell it well
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 09:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: one area Burrow had not improved much is  playa ction,  he rarely did it at LSU and really does not sell it well

Agreed, and he needs to work at it. And he hates the under center formation? He needs to begin liking it if he wants to be more than a home run Q'back from the gun. Boomer should show him how to fake hand-offs. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 06:47 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Joe Burrow hates under center.

Ok. But why?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 09:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: one area Burrow had not improved much is  playa ction,  he rarely did it at LSU and really does not sell it well

You've said this before, and I am not sure where you are getting it but it is wrong. That LSU offense used RPOs and play-action very heavily in 2019. Burrow was 17th in the nation in play-action passing attempts. He had 143 play-action attempts that season, or 27% of his overall attempts. On those attempts, he passed for 2,001 yards and 16 TDs, with only 1 INT. He was quite literally the most efficient QB in the nation on play-action attempts with a 227 QB rating. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 10:45 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: You've said this before, and I am not sure where you are getting it but it is wrong. That LSU offense used RPOs and play-action very heavily in 2019. Burrow was 17th in the nation in play-action passing attempts. He had 143 play-action attempts that season, or 27% of his overall attempts. On those attempts, he passed for 2,001 yards and 16 TDs, with only 1 INT. He was quite literally the most efficient QB in the nation on play-action attempts with a 227 QB rating. 

[Image: welcome-back-kotter-kotter.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Boomer threw for A LOT of yards from under center. I just watched Daniel Jones score two TDs by faking the defense out of position. They were so far out of position that it was a cakewalk for him. Personally, I would like to see Burrow work on this part of his game. His profession in life is professional QB. He should try to learn as much about the position as he can, even if he doesn't "like" it. It would only enhance his game and the team's chance of success.

Andy Dalton learned how to use read/pass/run options about halfway through his career and it helped him, mostly. When he chose to hold onto the ball, anyways. (Sorry, Texans playoff game flashback.) I watched him have some success with it last Sunday in London.
Reply/Quote
Brian Callahan has figured out why the run game struggles at least compared to Cleveland's

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote