Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniel Jones extended
The Giants give Daniel Jones a 4 yr $160 million contract + another $35 million in potential incentives. If the incentives all come through he's at $48.5/year. Now we want for the guaranteed money

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The Giants are going to regret inking this contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 06:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Giants are going to regret inking this contract.

Good, I want for every team other than the Bengals to regret their mega deal contract signings.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
QB Contracts quickly got very dumb.

EDIT: Apparently the first two years are guaranteed, total of $82m guaranteed.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 06:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: QB Contracts quickly got very dumb.

EDIT: Apparently the first two years are guaranteed, total of $82m guaranteed.

I figure this is why the Browns wanted to move on from Mayfield.  These days you either pay an average QB $40+ million and never win again, or you pay someone who might be elite even more and maybe win again maaayyyyybe.
Reply/Quote
I'm no expert on contract language but I am confident that the Giants have included outs.

No doubt $40 mil a year is a big number, but when you compare it to the other players, there aren't many QBs making less (that aren't on old/rookie contracts) that make you go "I can't believe QB X gets paid so much less than this Daniel Jones bum!" Many of those QBs making less will soon shoot past a Andy Dalton-esque Jones.

It's just where the market is at. QB being so disproportionately important to the success of a team creates this. In the NFL you have the teams that have a QB that can win you a Super Bowl, and everyone else. If a team thinks that they have one, they have to get paid.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 06:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I figure this is why the Browns wanted to move on from Mayfield.  These days you either pay an average QB $40+ million and never win again, or you pay someone who might be elite even more and maybe win again maaayyyyybe.

Yeah, it'll be great to see what the next couple seasons are like for these teams throwing stupid money and mediocre/bad QBs.

Daniel Jones hasn't thrown 20 TDs in a season since 2019. He threw 36 TDs over the last 3 seasons COMBINED (just 1 more than Burrow threw last year alone). He's never reached 7.0 yards per attempt before. He averages 2,900 passing yards per season.

This is seriously just madness. If I were a GM I would just try to find myself an Alex Smith game manager every 4 years in the draft and just build a great team that can run the ball, play D, and play special teams. If you can find a Mahomes or a Burrow, great, but otherwise you're just hurting yourself and your roster by paying mediocre QBs huge money.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 07:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, it'll be great to see what the next couple seasons are like for these teams throwing stupid money and mediocre/bad QBs.

Daniel Jones hasn't thrown 20 TDs in a season since 2019. He threw 36 TDs over the last 3 seasons COMBINED (just 1 more than Burrow threw last year alone). He's never reached 7.0 yards per attempt before. He averages 2,900 passing yards per season.

This is seriously just madness. If I were a GM I would just try to find myself an Alex Smith game manager every 4 years in the draft and just build a great team that can run the ball, play D, and play special teams. If you can find a Mahomes or a Burrow, great, but otherwise you're just hurting yourself and your roster by paying mediocre QBs huge money.

I also understand that the Giants are in a bit of a situation.  Daniel Jones wins their first playoff game in over a decade on the road and has a decent year and it's time to pay up or move on.  No one will mistake Jones for an elite QB, but their other option would be to let him go and either trade a haul to take a swing on a rookie QB in this draft, or stay at #25 and take the 4th or 5th ranked QB, or trade a haul to get a vet QB like Jackson or Rodgers, or get a game-manager like Jacoby Brisset and attempt to convince people that he could win it all if they build their team around him...or something.

It's a sticky wickett, and honestly we are only a few lucky/unlucky bounces in 2019 away from facing down the barrel of that gun ourselves.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 07:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I also understand that the Giants are in a bit of a situation.  Daniel Jones wins their first playoff game in over a decade on the road and has a decent year and it's time to pay up or move on.  No one will mistake Jones for an elite QB, but their other option would be to let him go and either trade a haul to take a swing on a rookie QB in this draft, or stay at #25 and take the 4th or 5th ranked QB, or trade a haul to get a vet QB like Jackson or Rodgers, or get a game-manager like Jacoby Brisset and attempt to convince people that he could win it all if they build their team around him...or something.

It's a sticky wickett, and honestly we are only a few lucky/unlucky bounces in 2019 away from facing down the barrel of that gun ourselves.

Like... Daniel Jones. Lol. Dude threw 15 TDs in 16 games and hasn't thrown more TDs than games started in any of the last 3 years. He averaged 200.3 passing yards per game last year.

Give me Jacoby Brissett, Gardner Minshew, Taylor Heinicke, or Andy Dalton for $5-8m/yr over Daniel Jones for $40-48.75m/yr. I will make my team much better with the money saved.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 06:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Giants are going to regret inking this contract.

$35-40 mil/yr appears to be the going rate for mediocre QB’s now. Sounds about right.

Better sign burrow fast before these contracts keep ticking higher.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 07:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Like... Daniel Jones. Lol. Dude threw 15 TDs in 16 games and hasn't thrown more TDs than games started in any of the last 3 years. He averaged 200.3 passing yards per game last year.

Give me Jacoby Brissett, Gardner Minshew, Taylor Heinicke, or Andy Dalton for $5-8m/yr over Daniel Jones for $40-48.75m/yr. I will make my team much better with the money saved.

I'm not saying I envy Giants fans, but I can see how they'd be able to buy that Jones has some upside now that he has coaching stability.  Cycling in scrapheap guys and late round nobodies is a bit too "Cleveland Browns" for most fans. 

If enough guys who get 40 million bomb while guys who get 5 million do better, the tide will turn I guess.  You'll have QBs like Burrow and Mahommes who make 50+ million and teams that sink a tenth of that into QB. It'll be go big or go backup. 
Reply/Quote