Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danny Trevathan hit on Davante Adams - what if it were Burfict?
Davante Adams took a vicious hit right in the chin from Danny Trevathan last night, sending him to the hospital.
There was chatter about whether Trevathan should be fined/suspended as soon as it happened.
For the record, Trevathan was flagged for the hit, but not ejected for targeting.
With the NFL putting a big emphasis on player safety and seeing that Burfict was given a 3-game suspension for a much less severe hit in the preseason, my questions are:

1) Should Danny Trevathan be suspended for that hit?
2) If so, how many games does he deserve?
3) What if Burfict had been the one to hit Davante Adams like that?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is why there should be a schedule of penalties (i.e. first offense fine of $___, second offense 1 game suspension, etc.) and not just be left up to the whim of a seriously biased commissioner.

The question would already be answered.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 11:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Davante Adams took a vicious hit right in the chin from Danny Trevathan last night, sending him to the hospital.
There was chatter about whether Trevathan should be fined/suspended as soon as it happened.
For the record, Trevathan was flagged for the hit, but not ejected for targeting.
With the NFL putting a big emphasis on player safety and seeing that Burfict was given a 3-game suspension for a much less severe hit in the preseason, my questions are:

1) Yes!  That was the definition of a dirty hit NFL.
2) At least 3
) He would have at least gotten a 1 year suspension and we would be talking about him never playing again.

The reason they pick on Burfict is that nobody gives a crap about this team and they can make an example out of him without causing an uproar. I know it gets old hearing this over and over, but if he played for the Steelers, I dont think he gets suspended.

Reply/Quote
That was awful! I don't think Burfict would intentionally hurt anyone except I think he hates the Steelers. I think outside of playing the Steelers you guys are a classy team. Look at the respect between our teams last Sunday. Rodgers was highfiving your safeties and laughing and joking around.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 11:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Davante Adams took a vicious hit right in the chin from Danny Trevathan last night, sending him to the hospital.

Yes

1 game

Probably banned for life.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

It's important to note that Burfict's suspension had to do with repeated infractions not severity of that particular hit against KC. I think the biggest argument against the suspension was that it wasn't a personal foul in the game and wasn't a personal foul.

Thus if he commits a personal foul that is moderate he's getting suspended for 8 games. ie He won't necessarily have to take a guys head off.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 11:59 AM)PhilHos Wrote: This is why there should be a schedule of penalties (i.e. first offense fine of $___, second offense 1 game suspension, etc.) and not just be left up to the whim of a seriously biased commissioner.

There is a schedule for personal foul penalties. Hobson has referred to it when explaining Burfict fines/suspensions.

On Trevathon, he should be penalized according to the schedule. If it’s a first or second offense, a fine, if it’s more then suspension. Burfict was fined the first 3 times, suspended 1 game, suspended 4 games and then 5 games (reduced to 3 on appeal)
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes

1 game

Probably banned for life.

This
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: There is a schedule for personal foul penalties. Burfict has progressed quite nicely through it.

http://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/fines-appeals/

On Trevathon, he should be penalized according to the schedule. If it’s a first or second offense, a fine, if it’s more then suspension.

I agree with you, except that the hit Trevathan laid on Adams was rather egregious, and dangerous.  It wasn't a shove, or a questionable hit over the middle of the field, or fighting/taunting, it was targeting.  The dude was wrapped up and going down.  It wasn't a bang bang play either.  There was intent with malice in my eyes.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with you, except that the hit Trevathan laid on Adams was rather egregious, and dangerous.  It wasn't a shove, or a questionable hit over the middle of the field, or fighting/taunting, it was targeting.  The dude was wrapped up and going down.  It wasn't a bang bang play either.  There was intent with malice in my eyes.

That's what most people who aren't Bengals fans say about Burfict. Burfict has been in trouble multiple times where it's just like "Dude, why?" because he hits people for no reason (see his most recent suspension, Brown hit, etc.)
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:41 PM)Sweetness Wrote: That's what most people who aren't Bengals fans say about Burfict. Burfict has been in trouble multiple times where it's just like "Dude, why?" because he hits people for no reason (see his most recent suspension, Brown hit, etc.)

Yep, he's had some 'blindside' cheap shots.....but I don't recall him spearing a guy in the chin as he was being wrapped up and going down.  Burfict has been his own worst enemy though.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: There is a schedule for personal foul penalties. Hobson has referred to it when explaining Burfict fines/suspensions.

On Trevathon, he should be penalized according to the schedule. If it’s a first or second offense, a fine, if it’s more then suspension. Burfict was fined the first 3 times, suspended 1 game, suspended 4 games and then 5 games (reduced to 3 on appeal)

There are also laws that for misdemeanors and felonies. If you rob a bank , you dont start at the bottom you fly all the way to the top. 

Trevathon should automatically go to the worst possible suspension because his hit was intended to hurt someone. He even celebrated when other players were calling for the medical staff. 
Reply/Quote
With the new rule added this year Trevathan can, and will, be suspended for the hit.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 11:59 AM)PhilHos Wrote: This is why there should be a schedule of penalties (i.e. first offense fine of $___, second offense 1 game suspension, etc.) and not just be left up to the whim of a seriously biased commissioner.

I am not normally a Conspiracy Theorist, however, I do think that the NFL Commissioner has a Hierarchy of Owners that he has favorable relationships with. It appears to me, and I could be wrong, that the Rooney Family of the Steelers is closer to Roger Goodell than say Robert Kraft right now. The Rooney Family may be in the TOP 5 of Owners closest to Goodell. Mike Brown may be near the bottom of the pack.

That "closeness" could easily mean influence with Goodell and Burfict has injured some of the Steelers top players the past few seasons.
I'm of the opinion that the Rooney Family has Goodell on High Alert when it comes to Burfict and the Rooney Family will use their influence with Goodell to push Burfict out of the league as quickly as possible. They will have a "Hair Trigger" to punish Burfict every chance they get and may apply a different Standard to him due to the Hierarchy of Owner influence on Goodell. Steelers being near the top and Bengals ownership near the bottom in influence. Any organized group of people will have unofficial hierarchies of those closer to versus less close to that group's chosen leader. People influence other people and connect with some in the group more than others and the NFL may be no different.

Am I way off base and just being paranoid here or do any of you agree that the Rooney Family has this influence with Goodell as it pertains to Burfict ?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:50 PM)depthchart Wrote: I am not normally a Conspiracy Theorist, however, I do think that the NFL Commissioner has a Hierarchy of Owners that he has favorable relationships with. It appears to me, and I could be wrong, that the Rooney Family of the Steelers is closer to Roger Goodell than say Robert Kraft right now. The Rooney Family may be in the TOP 5 of Owners closest to Goodell. Mike Brown may be near the bottom of the pack.

That "closeness" could easily mean influence with Goodell and Burfict has injured some of the Steelers top players the past few seasons.
I'm of the opinion that the Rooney Family has Goodell on High Alert when it comes to Burfict and the Rooney Family will use their influence with Goodell to push Burfict out of the league as quickly as possible. They will have a "Hair Trigger" to punish Burfict every chance they get and may apply a different Standard to him due to the Hierarchy of Owner influence on Goodell. Steelers being near the top and Bengals ownership near the bottom in influence. Any organized group of people will have unofficial hierarchies of those closer to versus less close to that group's chosen leader. People influence other people and connect with some in the group more than others and the NFL may be no different.

Am I way off base and just being paranoid here or do any of you agree that the Rooney Family has this influence with Goodell as it pertains to Burfict ?

No, you're not.  The Rooneys helped good ol Rog' get his gig, and Dan Rooney was even the one to come to his hotel room and tell him the news that he had been appointed commish.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's important to note that Burfict's suspension had to do with repeated infractions not severity of that particular hit against KC. I think the biggest argument against the suspension was that it wasn't a personal foul in the game and wasn't a personal foul.

Thus if he commits a personal foul that is moderate he's getting suspended for 8 games. ie He won't necessarily have to take a guys head off.

I know, but I think it's wrong that prior offenses carry so much weight with things like this. The decision was made to suspend Burfict because of an assumption of malicious intent, not actually proof of it. Makes it real hard to try and shed an image when everyone is out to get you because they always assume the worst based on the past.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: No, you're not.  The Rooneys helped good ol Rog' get his gig, and Dan Rooney was even the one to come to his hotel room and tell him the news that he had been appointed commish.

Hotel room visit huh...

Mike Brown needs to get a new Night Gown and get up to speed in this area with a Midnight visit of his own. Tongue
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 01:08 PM)depthchart Wrote: Hotel room visit huh...

Mike Brown needs to get a new Night Gown and get up to speed in this area with a Midnight visit of his own. Tongue

Here man, read some of this shit....

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/04/14/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-dan-rooney-death-steelers-owner/stories/201704140148

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/04/13/the-nfl-loses-a-giant-with-the-death-of-the-steelers-dan-rooney/?utm_term=.654629caafcc
Quote:When the NFL owners elected Roger Goodell as commissioner in August 2006, the news was delivered to Goodell by the respected owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dan Rooney.

Goodell was registered as “Roger Washington” at the Renaissance North Shore hotel in the Chicago suburb of Northbrook, Ill., where the owners were meeting to choose the successor to the retiring Paul Tagliabue. Goodell was in his room at the hotel when the owners completed their vote on the fifth ballot. Rooney headed up the elevator and knocked on Goodell’s door. When Goodell answered, Rooney simply smiled broadly and the two hugged.

There are more articles out there that delve deeper into the Rog's relationship with the Rooneys and the Maras.....older articles.  

Reply/Quote
2 games. Burfict banned for life. And prosecuted for attempt man slaughter
Reply/Quote
The whole thing with illegal hits in the NFL is confusing as hell.

Shazier's hit was ok because of the following rule

RULE 12, SECTION 2, ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

But when I go back to the play, Gio was wayyyy outside of the tackle box. Am I confused about the tackle box?

It seems that both plays the guys were way out of the tackle box so it constitutes as an illegal hit... Still not sure how Shazier gets away with things... remember when Dupree murdered Matt Moore as well?

NFL is so wishy washy with this stuff
Reply/Quote