Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Darius Phillips as a starter.
(12-30-2020, 05:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Cleveland game comes to mind....he had perfect coverage, and they just made a spectacular play.

Im totally cool with letting WJax walk and letting Philips battle it out with another FA or rookie pick. I think Phillips has shown he can be a good starter and honestly I think he has more upside in making the big plays then Jackson . I think Jackson lost a few mill off his offer for dropping that Big Ben pass. 
As for Alexander...PLEASE RESIGN THIS GUY. IMO He has played great and adds a physicality the db group and the team was starving for.
Reply/Quote
The dumbest thing the Bengals could do is let WJ3 and Lawson walk. You don't let quality young guys leave.

The defense would be pretty damn good (top 10) if they could just stay healthy. The secondary would be one of the best with Jackson, Waynes, Alexander, Bates and Bell.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 04:33 PM)Tony Wrote: I think he is still on a huge upswing curve.... He's only gonna get better. Some of the TDs he is right there and 1 little thing different and those are broken up... 

Yep, big upside with Phillips. He can do so many things and is getting better at his weakness which is tackling.

(12-30-2020, 05:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Cleveland game comes to mind....he had perfect coverage, and they just made a spectacular play.

Nice example, he has had quite a few of these happen to him this year where you just cannot blame the coverage.

With that dude LeShaun Sims, he needs to go.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 06:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The dumbest thing the Bengals could do is let WJ3 and Lawson walk.  You don't let quality young guys leave.  

The defense would be pretty damn good (top 10) if they could just stay healthy.  The secondary would be one of the best with Jackson, Waynes, Alexander, Bates and Bell.

This was about Phillips but yeah, have to keep our only good pass rusher in Lawson for damn sure.

Depends on how much WJ3 is wanting but I would want him back along with Lawson and Alexander and some O-lineman if we
can muster it. The pass rush will need attention on both the inside and outside, need to keep our one proven pass rusher right 
now who is still in his prime in Lawson.
Reply/Quote

Exactly the one that came to mind. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 05:49 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Love Phillips for depth or even rotation to keep CB's fresh perhaps, but no way I'd put him in over WJAX.  CB is a tough position, as they all get burned sometimes.  Throw in the fact that WJAX has had so many different coaches since he's been here.  I'm not saying he's Revis or anything like that, so please don't misunderstand, but I just think his abilities are head and shoulders above Phillips.  Phillips is a pro, and just like any pro he knows how to play the game.  And at times, he flashes!  But other times he has been made to look silly just like any other CB.  

What others have mentioned, though, is the obvious dilemma.  Is WJAX better in proportion to overall money spent than Phillips?  I could be swayed with that argument.  But really, I'd prefer to see WJAX and Trae on the boundaries with Alexander in the slot, the way this year was supposed to go.  I'd also like the safeties to give WJAX or any of our other corners help over the top.  I think that seems to have gotten better as the season has gone on, but in the beginning of the season there seemed to be a lot of facepalming coming from WJAX when he released and there was no one over the top.

The only control we have over WJIII is to franchise tag him, and if I were going to use the tag on anyone to make him prove he can be healthy and perform at a top level another year, it is Lawson. 

If WJIII wants to play elsewhere, he likely will be.  Phillips and Waynes is a pretty big concern based on the recent injury history of both.  If WJIII is gone, you can bet they will be looking CB early in the draft.  I really hope they can get Lawson, WJIII, and Alexander extended, but I give them the lowest % with WJIII.  

The biggest question I have is why they signed Waynes for such a deal from the outside.  Between him and WJIII, I would much rather have WJIII, but now they may be painted in to a corner...pardon the pun.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:40 AM)J24 Wrote: I like him and I think he will start at Nickleback next season.

I was waiting to see who would say it first.  Props. 

I think they are thinking of Phillips as the slot CB if they can't sign Alexander for another really good deal.  Phillips had been a slot CB, and was moved outside when Waynes went down and he responded very well.  

I personally would like to see Phillips as quality depth (you know we will need it) behind Waynes and WJIII with Alexander in the slot, but I honestly just believe WJIII will be gone and Phillips will stay outside and they will be successful in signing Alexander.  CB will become a very high priority in the draft.  I still believe they would take Chase #1OA, but I could see them perhaps trading back in to the first round to get a CB as well.  

A strong FA period will be critical if they wish to beef up the offensive line.  That, and if Faalele can be there in Rd 3.  That dude has mammoth RT written all over him.  Might be prudent to keep Hart one more year to ease him in, though, as he is still very raw.  But the guy dwarfs Bechton...and I would love the thought of a mass of humanity next to a beast of a RG like Duane Brown from Bama.  
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 02:42 AM)samhain Wrote: They should.  Phillips should be a boundary corner opposite Waynes.  

This is most logical since I don't believe WJIII re-signs with the Bengals.  They still need to draft a CB for better quality depth.  And who knows what kind of player Waynes will be when he returns.  
Reply/Quote
Darius Phillips is not a dependable option.

He is showing growth and talent on the field but over his first 3 years he has missed large parts of the season. The Bengals will need to resign either WJ3 or Mackenzie Alexander and look to add another corner in the draft or through Free Agency.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 06:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The dumbest thing the Bengals could do is let WJ3 and Lawson walk.  You don't let quality young guys leave.  

The defense would be pretty damn good (top 10) if they could just stay healthy.  The secondary would be one of the best with Jackson, Waynes, Alexander, Bates and Bell.

I really don't think the defense is Top 10 with just Waynes, Reader, and Atkins healthy. Personally, I don't feel Atkins is the same as he was back when he played under Marvin.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote