Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darius Phillips to IR
(09-26-2019, 01:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The IR return part is interesting as isn't Dennard on the IR too? So it would be one or the other right? Or did they expand the amount you can return?

A new rule that started in 2018 was that 2 players on the IR designated list can return. ( after week 9  and after 8 weeks on IR I think?)

edit: Its after 8 weeks on IR they can bring back a player, max of two. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 12:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Curious to know the reason Erickson was removed from KR duties this year.
I thought originally it was to get Erickson more offensive snaps but he's only taken 33 offensive snaps through 3 games.
That makes me think that while Erickson has been a good overall returner, he's not as much of a threat to flip the field or take it to the house.
Darius Phillips had that ability. John Ross was an elite KR in college too and obviously has the home run threat ability, so he might be used in the KR role with Phillips gone but I doubt it since the team likely wouldn't want to risk his health.

Erickson has been decent in KR. His average per return was 4th and 6th in '16 and '18 but dropped to around 16th in '17. He has a lot of yards but that's due to a high number of chances and a good number of 40+ yd returns. He's second in total KRs since 2016 with 101, 10 behind Andre Roberts from the Jets. 

He's a good returner, but i'd agree that he doesn't have the potential that Phillips has shown. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It does feel like a curse doesn't it?

I mean, IF he plays well this year, they likely let Dennard walk or maybe waived Webb. Now, who knows if he'll ever play again here. He should. But, you never know.

I'm not a curse kind of guy and i always shake my head when people say "the curse of Bo Jackson" but if there was such a thing...i'd have to say it's the curse of Mike Brown.  Mellow

I wouldn't let Dennard walk though. Webb, sure. But keep Dennard and Phillips. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The IR return part is interesting as isn't Dennard on the IR too? So it would be one or the other right? Or did they expand the amount you can return?

(09-26-2019, 01:12 PM)Millhouse Wrote: A new rule that started in 2018 was that 2 players on the IR designated list can return. ( after week 9  and after 8 weeks on IR I think?)

edit: Its after 8 weeks on IR they can bring back a player, max of two. 

Dennard is on PUP and any 2 players can return from IR (if they're put on IR after the final roster is set--i believe). There's no such thing, any more, as "designated to return". 

Reply/Quote
Bummer dude was having a good season and I was hoping he'd give us a reason to cut Kirkpatrick.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dennard is on PUP and any 2 players can return from IR (if they're put on IR after the final roster is set--i believe). There's no such thing, any more, as "designated to return". 

Yup forgot to edit the designated part out. Keep forgetting that hasnt existed for a couple of years now.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 12:27 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Top 3 in KR yards since 2016.

Stop it.

We're fortunate to have Erickson, but truly bummed for the kid. Phillip's was starting to get it. Terrible timing!

Folks we're Bengal fans! If it can happen, it will! No need for me to take us all down to "the old town road". Really dislike that song btw. It's littered with ifs and buts. We seem to have had some brutal luck for years now.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 12:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He was really good in '16 and '18 but he's really struggling this year. Only way to go is up, and he's going to get the opportunities now to do it. 

He hasn't returned a kick yet, has he?

(09-26-2019, 12:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Curious to know the reason Erickson was removed from KR duties this year.
I thought originally it was to get Erickson more offensive snaps but he's only taken 33 offensive snaps through 3 games.
That makes me think that while Erickson has been a good overall returner, he's not as much of a threat to flip the field or take it to the house.
Darius Phillips had that ability. John Ross was an elite KR in college too and obviously has the home run threat ability, so he might be used in the KR role with Phillips gone but I doubt it since the team likely wouldn't want to risk his health.

No doubt... that the other guys are more explosive but, Erickson will consistently give you the yards (so actually, he DOES flip the field).

(09-26-2019, 01:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Patterson is first with 10 and Erickson is second with 9, since 2016.

Thanks, man.

IP spouting his false-when-backed up-by-facts, opinion.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm not a curse kind of guy and i always shake my head when people say "the curse of Bo Jackson" but if there was such a thing...i'd have to say it's the curse of Mike Brown.  Mellow

I wouldn't let Dennard walk though. Webb, sure. But keep Dennard and Phillips. 

No doubt. MB and the management team is the one constant variable over the past 28 years.

The weird thing is he actually did spend money this offseason. They just didn't upgrade positions of need.

I really think that they banked on health and coaching making players improve.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:43 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He hasn't returned a kick yet, has he?

No doubt... that the other guys are more explosive but, Erickson will consistently give you the yards (so actually, he DOES flip the field).

Thanks, man.

When I say "flip the field," I mean getting the offense into the red zone. Erickson has done this rarely but has never had an 85+ yard return. He's also never had a TD. He's a consistent but not an exciting player.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
For those discussing kickoff returns, here is an interesting article on espn from last November. Discusses the changes to the rules, %'s, etc. all to decrease concussions, which so far up until then it seems to have worked, but also lessened the impact of kickoff returns like the old days.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/287320/the-nfl-rule-tweaks-saving-kickoff-from-extinction

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:43 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He hasn't returned a kick yet, has he?

Thanks, man.

Zero returns for Erickson this year. Gio has one though. Big Grin

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt. MB and the management team is the one constant variable over the past 28 years.

The weird thing is he actually did spend money this offseason. They just didn't upgrade positions of need.

I really think that they banked on health and coaching making players improve.

Yeah, they spend money. I just think they don't spend it the right way. 

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 02:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, they spend money. I just think they don't spend it the right way. 

Which is where scouting and possibly a GM comes in.

Like, I know some people are brainwashed into thinking coaches scouting is a good thing...and coaches being involved probably is. BUT, having your coaches as the primary scouts is tough. Look at all the things ZT had to do this offseason, from hiring coaches to developing playbooks, to evaluating the roster, to the draft and free agency.

Imagine how much more effective he would have been if he had to do half of those things.

It's unrealistic to think that 1 human being can have an expert skillset in all of those areas. Or even be adequate in them all.

Hire scouts and a GM and let the coaches focus on developing playbooks and coaching. It's the tried and true NFL model.
Reply/Quote
per Zac Darius has loose cartilage that flared on Monday after the game

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Thanks, man.

If Erickson gives this offense any favorable field position with returns I will be very surprised.
Like I said he will run into a pile at the 23.
Not good for a struggling offense 
All I heard all off season was how Erickson was going to floursish this year 
Havvent seen it don't expect it 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 03:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If Erickson gives this offense any favorable field position with returns I will be very surprised.
Like I said he will run into a pile at the 23.
Not good for a struggling offense 
All I heard all off season was how Erickson was going to floursish this year 
Havvent seen it don't expect it 

And the stats and facts have proven your opinion wrong, so why are you still parroting it?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
This guy was not a good returner, he fumbled half the time, any other special teams coach would have had enough after the first 5 muffs...but our special teams coach is...special
[Image: 5Lx1vqY]
Reply/Quote
Darius Phillips to IR...

Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, and Wynn did not practice today... That leaves who Andrew Brown as the only DE? and hes really a 3T.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just wonder IF Ross would miss some kickoffs that would be turnovers.

I wondered the same thing. I would fear he would get stripped too often or just fumble on the way down. 

Reply/Quote