Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darius Slay
Why not cut Dre and trade 2nd round pick and sign this guy? Sign a top OL in free agency and get Littleton.Why does this franchise just sit around and do nothing? If we could add Slay, Hunter Henry, Littleton and an OL in FA we could turn this around quick.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 09:11 PM)Bengals731 Wrote: Why not cut Dre and trade 2nd round pick and sign this guy? Sign a top OL in free agency and get Littleton.Why does this franchise just sit around and do nothing? If we could add Slay, Hunter Henry, Littleton and an OL in FA we could turn this around quick.

Slay has a year left on his contract and has been one of the top corners in the league so if you give up a 2nd you'll have to extend Slay long term. Slay will probably be looking for a contract that's a lot bigger than Kirkpatrick's so you might end up spending more money and giving up a 2nd round pick. I'm with you on signing Litteton and a free agent O-lineman that would really open up the draft and you can go best player available at pick 33 which might be a good CB on a rookie contract. I'm gonna pass on Henry way to many injuries and we've already dumped too many resources into the position by extending Uzomah  and drafting Sample in the 2nd round. 
Reply/Quote
Well, for one, he'd likely be looking for an extension with a raise. He's heading into the final year of his current deal. With the Bengals sending out vibes of going "all out" to re-sign both AJ and extend Mixon, that's a tall order..

Besides that, I'm not sure that the Bengals sign any of those free agent names that you mentioned. Have you been following Bengals football for very long?? Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
A.J. sat out for 2019. And that the team needs team players, not Prima Donna's. That should be a red flag thee.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 11:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, for one, he'd likely be looking for an extension with a raise.  He's heading into the final year of his current deal.  With the Bengals sending out vibes of going "all out" to re-sign both AJ and extend Mixon, that's a tall order..

Besides that, I'm not sure that the Bengals sign any of those free agent names that you mentioned.  Have you been following Bengals football for very long??  Ninja

Moderators are wise and realistic.
Reply/Quote
Slay has as much of a chance coming here as chase young does falling to our second round pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 11:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, for one, he'd likely be looking for an extension with a raise.  He's heading into the final year of his current deal.  With the Bengals sending out vibes of going "all out" to re-sign both AJ and extend Mixon, that's a tall order..

Besides that, I'm not sure that the Bengals sign any of those free agent names that you mentioned.  Have you been following Bengals football for very long??  Ninja

As to your first point, AJ is already paid big money. Re-signing him doesn't therefore change much the amount you are spending one year to the next. Paying Mixon is a different matter but there would be other ways to free up money - if you're signing a CB cutting Kirkpatrick would be the obvious counterpart move and saves $11m.

The bigger issue is the draft capital the Bengals would be required to give up - the Bengals only have 7 draft picks and one of those is already accounted for.

But your second point makes it all moot anyway.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 01:56 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Slay has as much of a chance coming here as chase young does falling to our second round pick

if we can keep the other 31 teams out of the building till our first pick on day 2.... we got a chance.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 02:48 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: As to your first point, AJ is already paid big money. Re-signing him doesn't therefore change much the amount you are spending one year to the next. Paying Mixon is a different matter but there would be other ways to free up money - if you're signing a CB cutting Kirkpatrick would be the obvious counterpart move and saves $11m.

I'm not really sure that holds true.  Dre K is set to be an $11.1M cap hit this year, cutting him still leaves the Bengals on the hook for $2.8M in "dead cap".  Slay's current deal has him earning $13.4M this season.  When you add Slay's salary due and the dead cap from cutting Dre, it totals $16.2M, creating an upspend of $5.1M at the position.

Personally, I just can't imagine anyone in the Bengals front office thinking that is in any way, a good deal.  And that's entirely separate from the question of;  Would Darius Slay even be a good fit with the Bengals organization?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Slay wants to be the highest paid corner in the league per moving the chains on sirius.

I want no part of that action.
Reply/Quote
He's got an awesome name though.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 04:16 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He's got an awesome name though.

That is what I was going to say lol
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 01:56 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Slay has as much of a chance coming here as chase young does falling to our second round pick

I think Buan or Espenesa would be just as good of a pick and 1 of the 2 should be there at the start of Round 2.
Reply/Quote