Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darnold traded to CAR
Per Schefter, Darnold was traded to CAR.

CAR sends:
- 2021 6th rounder
- 2022 2nd and 4th rounder

This all but assures the first 3 picks will all be QBs, thereby making it just as much of a certainty that Sewell and/or Chase will be available at 5, which seems like the ideal scenario.

What this also means is that the 5th overall pick could have just increased in value, as fewer "top-tier" QBs will be available by the time the 5th pick comes around. That could mean a really good offer to the Bengals for a trade-back scenario.
The 5th overall pick could be even higher value if ATL also takes a QB, leaving just arguably one "top-tier" QB remaining.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Per Schefter, Darnold was traded to CAR.

CAR sends:
- 2021 6th rounder
- 2022 2nd and 4th rounder

This all but assures the first 3 picks will all be QBs, thereby making it just as much of a certainty that Sewell and/or Chase will be available at 5, which seems like the ideal scenario.

What this also means is that the 5th overall pick could have just increased in value, as fewer "top-tier" QBs will be available by the time the 5th pick comes around. That could mean a really good offer to the Bengals for a trade-back scenario.
The 5th overall pick could be even higher value if ATL also takes a QB, leaving just arguably one "top-tier" QB remaining.

How far would you trade back though?  Would you risk on missing out on Sewell AND Chase?

If it's a big offer, you obviously have to consider it, but do we risk missing out on improving the team this year for future/later picks?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How far would you trade back though?  Would you risk on missing out on Sewell AND Chase?

If it's a big offer, you obviously have to consider it, but do we risk missing out on improving the team this year for future/later picks?

Come on Brad, you know full well that the Bengals will be able to improve the team even if they don't get one of Chase, Sewell, or even Pitts.
Furthest back I'd probably trade is to 15 with NE. I'd look to snag Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker (assuming Slater is gone) and also have multiple high picks on Day 2 and/or in 2022.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think this kills the trade back unless Denver falls in love with someone, which reports are they are going to let Lock run one more year. Bengals FO will want one of the elite guys and when you get back to someone like the Patriots you are definitely in tier 2. Detroit contrary to what some here think have no real reason to come up to 5 for a QB, and I am not sold they want one this year anyways.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think this kills the trade back unless Denver falls in love with someone, which reports are they are going to let Lock run one more year. Bengals FO will want one of the elite guys and when you get back to someone like the Patriots you are definitely in tier 2. Detroit contrary to what some here think have no real reason to come up to 5 for a QB, and I am not sold they want one this year anyways.

Agreed. I don’t see the Bengals wanting to drop too far back unless they are blown away with an offer. An offer that probably won’t come for the 4-5th best qb in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How far would you trade back though?  Would you risk on missing out on Sewell AND Chase?

Of course you trade back we don't really need either of those players to be honest. I would rather move down and have multiple 2nd rd picks than either Chase or Sewell.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think this kills the trade back unless Denver falls in love with someone, which reports are they are going to let Lock run one more year. Bengals FO will want one of the elite guys and when you get back to someone like the Patriots you are definitely in tier 2. Detroit contrary to what some here think have no real reason to come up to 5 for a QB, and I am not sold they want one this year anyways.

Add in that for the Pats, it makes it a situation where why would they waste draft capital when there isn't going to be much competition for a QB now. 

Washington and Chicago both will be looking long-term solution at QB but that's way too far back in the draft and both pick after New England. 

I think we are now pretty much locked in at 5, unless again all 3 of Pitts, Sewell and Chase are there and someone wants to leapfrog Miami to take their guy and we still stay in top 10. Like, maybe Denver thinks that Pitts is the missing piece on offense and wants to come get him...

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think this kills the trade back unless Denver falls in love with someone, which reports are they are going to let Lock run one more year. Bengals FO will want one of the elite guys and when you get back to someone like the Patriots you are detfinitely in tier 2. Detroit contrary to what some here think have no real reason to come up to 5 for a QB, and I am not sold they want one this year anyways.

Agree 100%. 

I think a trade back is much less likely now. Carolina was a likely partner, they are not gonna spend more capital to move up for another QB. Which means a position player. Which means even if we deal with Denver at #9, likely Sewell, Pitts, and Chase are gone by #9.

I mean, we'd still have to listen. If we don't value TE and think Slater is close to as good as Sewell and Smith/Waddle or close to Chase, then maybe. 

I don't think you get a ton from Denver going from 9 to 5. More from NE, but then we are at 15. Only way I do that is if we could get back to Detroit at #7. And if Detroit is willing to move down fron 7, then NE/Den likely to trade up with them, it would be cheaper.

Only way it works is if NE/Den think the Lions may take a QB at #7 if given the chance. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Come on Brad, you know full well that the Bengals will be able to improve the team even if they don't get one of Chase, Sewell, or even Pitts.
Furthest back I'd probably trade is to 15 with NE. I'd look to snag Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker (assuming Slater is gone) and also have multiple high picks on Day 2 and/or in 2022.

(04-05-2021, 05:48 PM)J24 Wrote: Of course you trade back we don't really need either of those players to be honest. I would rather move down and have multiple 2nd rd picks than either Chase or Sewell.

Don't need Sewell?  Did you miss out on where Burrow was on his back and was injured for the year?

And now we don't need Chase to form an amazing duo with Burrow?

We don't "need" either one of them, but, if we want to form a team that can compete, we need to start hitting on our top picks and bring in the best players for our team.
Reply/Quote
This does a lot of things, but mainly with Carolina, not us. A team like WFT or Bears looking to get the #4 QB in the draft will now have to get in front of NE and that's where Carolina picks. I could see Carolina trading back to regain some draft capital they just gave up for Darnold.

Atthis point if we do trade it will not happen until draft night and it could be NE making sure that no one trades up in front of them.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 06:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Don't need Sewell?  Did you miss out on where Burrow? was on his back and was injured for the year?

We don't "need" either one of them, but, if we want to form a team that can compete, we need to start hitting on our top picks and bring in the best players for our team.

Sewell isn't the only OL who can protect Burrow. Chase isn't the only WR who can catch a lot of passes.
This is a deep class for both OL and WR, so there should be very good players available later in Rd 1, as well as good players in Rd 2 and even into early Rd 3.

And you say "amazing duo," but the Bengals already have two 1000+ yard caliber WRs in Boyd and Higgins. Don't discount what either one of those guys can do.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Maybe Carolina expects the Falcons to take the 4th QB on the board, leaving only one of the top 5 QBs remaining and they didn't want to risk having to take the left overs at an exorbitant price tag of draft picks, so have chosen instead to give Darnold a go.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 06:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Don't need Sewell?  Did you miss out on where Burrow? was on his back and was injured for the year?

Did you miss where we signed Rief? We already have an amazing duo with Burrow and Higgens. Also Marshall is just as good as Chase and we could get him in the late first early second. I'm sorry but this whole Chase or Sewell thing is stupid both will be great players but the Bengals can go in multiple directions and still be fine. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 06:19 PM)J24 Wrote: Did you miss where we signed Rief? We already have an amazing duo with Burrow and Higgens. Also Marshall is just as good as Chase and we could get him in the late first early second. I'm sorry but this whole Chase or Sewell thing is stupid both will be great players but the Bengals can go in multiple directions and still be fine. 

I think the bolded is a stretch but it's not some huge drop off from Chase down to the other WRs, like you said.
Same with Sewell compared to the other 1st round OL.

Honestly, the biggest drop off from the top prospect of a non-QB position compared to the other players at the position is probably Pitts compared to the other TEs. But Pitts probably isn't likely, especially if Sewell and/or Chase happen to be there at 5.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 06:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the bolded is a stretch but it's not some huge drop off from Chase down to the other WRs, like you said.

Honestly, the biggest drop off from the top prospect of a non-QB position compared to the other players at the position is probably Pitts compared to the other TEs. But Pitts probably isn't likely, especially if Sewell and/or Chase happen to be there at 5.

Marshall was averaging a 100+ yards this past season and already had 10 TDs in 7 games. With an average QB throwing to him. The guy might be the most underrated player in the draft.
I would rather have Marshall+ an extra 2nd Rd pick then Chase at 5.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 06:33 PM)J24 Wrote: Marshall was averaging a 100+ yards this past season and already had 10 TDs in 7 games. With an average QB throwing to him. The guy might be the most underrated player in the draft.
I would rather have Marshall+ an extra 2nd Rd pick then Chase at this point.

2019 Chase - 6 receptions per game, 127.14 yards per game, 1.42 TDs per game
2020 Marshall - 6.85 receptions per game, 104.42 yards per game, 1.42 TDs per game

It's also worth pointing out that Chase had to compete for targets against Marshall and also Jefferson in 2019, whereas Marshall didn't have to worry about either Chase or Jefferson with targets in 2020.

Marshall is good, but I still would put him a tier below Chase. I'd be very happy to have Sewell-Marshall if the Bengals chose not to go Chase-OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 07:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 2019 Chase - 6 receptions per game, 127.14 yards per game, 1.42 TDs per game
2020 Marshall - 6.85 receptions per game, 104.42 yards per game, 1.42 TDs per game

It's also worth pointing out that Chase had to compete for targets against Marshall and also Jefferson in 2019, whereas Marshall didn't have to worry about either Chase or Jefferson with targets in 2020.

Marshall is good, but I still would put him a tier below Chase. I'd be very happy to have Sewell-Marshall if the Bengals chose not to go Chase-OL.
I'm sticking by what I said( both are future superstars IMO) about Marshall being as good as Chase.  Any team that gets either player will be very happy with the results.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 06:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the bolded is a stretch but it's not some huge drop off from Chase down to the other WRs, like you said.

I have seen a few experts having Pitts going to Atlanta to help Ryan and the offense.

So, we still don't know if Chase, Sewell or Pitts is there at 5? 

Drafts rarely go as planned in round 1 after pick 1 and 2.

But do agree, very likely Sewell, Chase or Pitts is available at #5. Question becomes if only 1 of those is Bengal's FO choice of the 3 and is gone. Then what do they do?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Based on a snippet from a podcast with Dan Hoard, Tobin basically confirmed what I said above about them not wanting to go too far back. Interestingly enough he also mentioned he thought the draft was much deeper at OL than WR.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 07:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: Based on a snippet from a podcast with Dan Hoard, Tobin basically confirmed what I said above about them not wanting to go too far back. Interestingly enough he also mentioned he thought the draft was much deeper at OL than WR.

The offensive line class is much deeper than the WR. Like I sid I another thread I expect it to be heavy offensive first round.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote