Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At One Time, Marvin Gave Me Hope
I came across this video of Marvin's first year here, and it reminded me how energetic, enthusiastic and upbeat of a coach he started out as:

Over the course of 15 years he's turned into a bitter, cantankerous, condescending, depressing shell of what he once was. I literally can't stand to hear him talk anymore.

I was very excited and pumped up at the announcement of his hiring in 2003. I was convinced that he was the guy that would eventually take us to the promise land. Unfortunately, even though he did reach the postseason 7 times...the ultimate goal of reaching the Super Bowl could never get off the ground, because game 17 always kicked their ass.

Whatever my feelings of Marvin are now, I still remember the hope and optimism I had when he was hired. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 01:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I came across this video of Marvin's first year here, and it reminded me how energetic, enthusiastic and upbeat of a coach he started out as:

Over the course of 15 years he's turned into a bitter, cantankerous, condescending, depressing shell of what he once was. I literally can't stand to hear him talk anymore.

I was very excited and pumped up at the announcement of his hiring in 2003. I was convinced that he was the guy that would eventually take us to the promise land. Unfortunately, even though he did reach the postseason 7 times...the ultimate goal of reaching the Super Bowl could never get of the ground, because game 17 always kicked their ass.

Whatever my feelings of Marvin are now, I still remember the hope and optimism I had when he was hired. 

Yep.  A cautionary tale of staying too long.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 01:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I came across this video of Marvin's first year here, and it reminded me how energetic, enthusiastic and upbeat of a coach he started out as:

I was very excited and pumped up at the announcement of his hiring in 2003. I was convinced that he was the guy that would eventually take us to the promise land. Unfortunately, even though he did reach the postseason 7 times...the ultimate goal of reaching the Super Bowl could never get of the ground, because game 17 always kicked their ass.

I was in high school then.
If I were able to go back in time and tell my high school self that the Bengals would keep a coach for 15 years, I'd be surprised.
I flat out wouldn't believe my future self if I found out that coach had not won a single playoff game in that time span.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin is a brilliant football mind and the not winning a playoff game is more of a weird stat than him not being able to do it per say. Also what's going to happen after him with the front office are they going to change anything they do?Or will they still think a 5th Rd comp is worth a Hall of Fame LT.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 02:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was in high school then.
If I were able to go back in time and tell my high school self that the Bengals would keep a coach for 15 years, I'd be surprised.
I flat out wouldn't believe my future self if I found out that coach had not won a single playoff game in that time span.

It really is crazy. Of the 24 coaches in NFL history who have coached 15 or more years and have 7 or more postseason appearances, Marvin is the only one without a single playoff win, and 22 of the 24 have at least 4.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis change the culture of this franchise whether people would would like to admit it or not. I remember just making it to the playoffs with a big deal.

There is no real hope, however, as long as Mike Brown is still in the front office meddling. All the coaches should go with Marvin Lewis.

I know Mike Brown doesn't care about fans ideas or opinions hell I don't even think he cares what others in a front office may say. But it would be a blessing if he were to step down completely after the end of this season. All year I saw commercials on how the 50th anniversary of his supposed to be special. It can be very special if Mike Brown were to step down at the end of this year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
But alas Mikey Boy has his hands in it enough still to poison the pot.

Is Mikey Boy the all-time inept schlepprock owner/gm or a lawyer collecting extra $ to lie down for teams by providing
gross incompetence and complete mismanagement for decades.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 02:41 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I think Marvin is a brilliant football mind and the not winning a playoff game is more of a weird stat than him not being able to do it per say. Also what's going to happen after him with the front office are they going to change anything they do?Or will they still think a 5th Rd comp is worth a Hall of Fame LT.

Not a weird stat when you see in every playoff game they did the opposite of what got them there.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 03:01 PM)Rattler Wrote: But alas Mikey Boy has his hands in it enough still to poison the pot.  

Is Mikey Boy the all-time inept schlepprock owner/gm or a lawyer collecting extra $ to lie down for teams by providing
gross incompetence and complete mismanagement for decades.

[Image: bad-luck-schleprock_yahoo-e1424656057721.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I don't think that anyone regrets the hiring of Marvin, the problem is that Mikey kept him for about 10 years too long.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 03:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: bad-luck-schleprock_yahoo-e1424656057721.jpg]

[Image: schlep.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I hope we hire someone young with that level of enthusiasm next...
Reply/Quote
He had a tough of intestinal fortitude once upon a time, but then he just got mellow and complacent. I was done with him 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012 on, and absolutely 100000 done in 2015.
Reply/Quote
Thanks Holic.

This is actually pretty humbling. We all think of Marv as the villan now, but we have to remember that Marv has done soooo much good here. Everybody always wants more, and once you set that bar, your expected to keep performing. He didn't have enough to take it over the hump. But make no mistake, building a good NFL team is no easy task.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
God that makes me sad...

I was 14 when Marvin was hired and I was ecstatic. Arguably the most excited and optimistic I've ever been as a Bengal fan (close to the drafting of Carson Palmer). It's sickening to see what Marvin has become. He's a mere shell of that man in the clip. "Tuck your shirt in, look like a pro". You will never hear the Marvin of today say anything like that.

I gotta agree with ocho as well. If someone had told me 15 years ago that Marv would still be HC in 2017 but not have a single playoff win to show for it I'd have called them crazy. It is unbelievable that Marv has lasted so long.

I'll always be grateful to him for getting us out of the 90's, but he's taken this team as far as he can (and sadly, it's not far at all). I do wish Marvin luck with whatever he does next (provided it's nothing with Pittsburgh but I can easily see him going home to coach in some capacity).
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 03:22 PM)Rattler Wrote: [Image: schlep.jpg]
WOW! Great artistic ability. Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious THANKS.
Reply/Quote

How do you know what he's like on the practice field today, or behind close doors? Yeah, Marvin is a real pill to the press, but go look at Bill Belichick, he might be worse. The New England meeting seems afraid to ask that guy anything, especially after a loss.

They're in a losing season here, I don't think Marvin is going to spread sunshine and have unicorns fly out his poop chute.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote