Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darrin Simmons re-signed
“Family is a big part of it. Keeping the family in one place. I’m very appreciative of that opportunity,” Simmons said this week as he wrapped up his grades and evaluations.

“(The No. 1 ranking) is gratifying. It speaks volumes about our players,” Simmons said. “I’ve got a lot of respect for the way they play and prepare. How much it means to them. It’s hard to walk away from that. That’s all you want as a coach.”

“I’ve been a part of it. I feel very good about Zac using me as a strong resource to help whatever ideas he has and we have to make it better,” Simmons said. “That’s all everyone in the building is thinking about. How do we get better? Certainly we were all embarrassed by what happened this year. That has to be our obvious calling card. How do we right the ship?

“I don’t think I’ve ever been prouder of a group,” Simmons said. “I’ve got so much respect for the energy, the pride these guys took on a week-to-week basis. It’s hard. It’s hard when a team is not being successful when they’re not seeing wins week to week. The fact they never spit the bit, the fact they kept fighting no matter the record or the score, that also resonates with me.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/with-return-of-coordinators-bengals-bank-on-consistency
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2020, 12:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: im sure hes paid well and after 18 years probly has roots here and doesnt want to up and leave.

Looks like keeping his family in Cincy was the right answer. You win!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2020, 01:01 PM)Okeana Wrote: I could see them transitioning him to head coach next year if ZT doesn't work out.  Let's face it ST coaches make the best head coaches.

(01-08-2020, 02:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That may well have been part of the talk for new contract ? Plus he must not have been getting much attention from the teams still needing new HC.

Was thinking the same thing. All for Simmons as HC if Taylor sucks it up again next season...
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 09:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So Van Pelt, Pitcher, Bicknell, Jones, Livngston and Coombs are not under contract?

Wonder if Van Pelt will go to the Cowboys.

Everyone speaks so highly of him, so I want to keep him. But truth is our QB's haven't developed or improved under him.

So I'm unsure how I feel about his return/lost.

Hopefully one of these spots on offense get opened up for Joe Brady.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 04:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: Wonder if Van Pelt will go to the Cowboys.

Everyone speaks so highly of him, so I want to keep him. But truth is our QB's haven't developed or improved under him.

So I'm unsure how I feel about his return/lost.

Hopefully one of these spots on offense get opened up for Joe Brady.

Oh hell yes. Cool
Reply/Quote
Only coach worth keeping on the team. Good re-signing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Looks like he got a “promotion” when he re-signed. He is now ST coach and assistant HC. Good for him.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 11:29 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Looks like he got a “promotion” when he re-signed. He is now ST coach and assistant HC. Good for him.

Didn’t he assist for ML?

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2020, 10:18 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Think he'll go somewhere else or that he'll retire?

Well if Judge works out in NY, then I expect Simmons to get some HC interviews. Simmons kids are in high school and if he's still a ST coach here, then when they graduate and head off to college, I could see him go somewhere else and try something new.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2020, 01:01 PM)Okeana Wrote: I could see them transitioning him to head coach next year if ZT doesn't work out.  Let's face it ST coaches make the best head coaches.

He has been named Assistant Head coach apparently....

So he might be a HC sooner than later if ZT and company cant right the ship
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 11:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Didn’t he assist for ML?

believe ML assistant was Piano man for many years then Hue his last year here (after hue was fired from browns) when marv took over the defense he had hue helping him elsewhere
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 12:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: believe ML assistant was Piano man for many years then Hue his last year here (after hue was fired from browns) when marv took over the defense he had hue helping him elsewhere

Indeed; PA was the assistant HC since the Coslet days (I believe).

Hue was the special assistant, but whether it was an outright assistant HC, who knows?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 12:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He has been named Assistant Head coach apparently....

So he might be a HC sooner than later if ZT and company cant right the ship

I would be fine if this is the case. Always loved Simmons fire.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 01:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed; PA was the assistant HC since the Coslet days (I believe).

Hue was the special assistant, but whether it was an outright assistant HC, who knows?

think your right dont think he ever offically had the title...
Reply/Quote
Brayden Coombs, Simmon's assistant, has been named Special Teams Coordinator for the Lions. It is a well-deserved promotion. He was a finalist for the Packers coordinator last year.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2020, 01:04 PM)pally Wrote: Brayden Coombs, Simmon's assistant, has been named Special Teams Coordinator for the Lions.  It is a well-deserved promotion.  He was a finalist for the Packers coordinator last year.

so with the LBers spot we have 2 openings?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 01:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed; PA was the assistant HC since the Coslet days (I believe).

LeBeau was Coslet's asst. HC. LeBeau's staffs never had an asst. HC, at least an official one. When Marvin came aboard, that's when PA got the title.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 11:29 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Looks like he got a “promotion” when he re-signed. He is now ST coach and assistant HC. Good for him.

I was waiting to see if anyone else noticed that.  I think that likely justifies a very nice increase in pay (along with his performance).  I like whenever young, innovative coaches are retained and promoted here.  Remember, there was a time when the Bengals had one of the highest coaches salaries in the league when they had Marvin, Gruden, and Zimmer.  

Props to the Browns for retaining Simmons.  Here is to bringing in more help on the defense.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 09:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was waiting to see if anyone else noticed that.  I think that likely justifies a very nice increase in pay (along with his performance).  I like whenever young, innovative coaches are retained and promoted here.  Remember, there was a time when the Bengals had one of the highest coaches salaries in the league when they had Marvin, Gruden, and Zimmer.  

Props to the Browns for retaining Simmons.  Here is to bringing in more help on the defense.  

I like that we get to bring in a new LB coach and maybe a new Secondary assistant to help out the D.

Wasn't impressed by what Tem or Daronte did last season.
Reply/Quote
I was very pleased with Special Teams this year. Seemed like they really cleaned up the penalties ("block in the backs" especially).
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote