Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daryl Williams Re-signs with Bills
I'm actually ok if the Bengals went this route regarding the o-line:

FA:

we actually need to bring in 2 guys in FA to upgrade our line, it's that bad, and I'm ok with getting solid veterans but not overpaying for name guys.

1) Kevin Zeitler-RG- shores up a huge hole on the interior line, especially up the middle.

2) Matt Feiler-RT/LG- another valuable piece to have on the line

Draft:

1) If Sewell's there he's the pick. If not I'd be very happy with Chase/Pitts/Slater or Farley then getting a solid lineman in the 2nd that has fallen
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 07:03 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Draft Sewell period.  Don’t out smart ourselves for goodness sake.  Take Sewell and forget about it.  Bring in thuney or zietler I don’t care at this point.  Draft creed Humphrey too.  Offensive line is done.  Don’t complicate what isn’t complicated. Imo

Rep.  If it were not the supply and demand of the QB class, any other year someone would trade up to 2-4 and land Sewell.  Hypothetically, if there were a top 5 RT in FA that the Bengals signed...you still take Sewell and play him or Williams at guard.  He's that much better than even Chase. 

Quality tackles and the B grade guys will get paid (case in point Daryl Williams).  I'm open minded, but if I read "If the Bengals sign a tackle in FA, I'd draft...." I'm likely to keep scrolling. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 10:06 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I'm actually ok if the Bengals went this route regarding the o-line:

FA:

we actually need to bring in 2 guys in FA to upgrade our line, it's that bad, and I'm ok with getting solid veterans but not overpaying for name guys.

1) Kevin Zeitler-RG- shores up a huge hole on the interior line, especially up the middle.

2) Matt Feiler-RT/LG- another valuable piece to have on the line

Draft:

1) If Sewell's there he's the pick. If not I'd be very happy with Chase/Pitts/Slater or Farley then getting a solid lineman in the 2nd that has fallen

Pretty much this.  Feller is a theoretic ideal fit.  Cut Hart, draft a tackle by the 4th and move Feller around to your weakest of the two.  He may get better offers for his versatility though, so there's that.  
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 06:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Definitely if we cut Geno, Gio and others.

We have 44 million minus 10 for rookies so if no cuts or restructures we have 34 million

Thuney and Linsley sign for contracts with huge bonuses, 4 years to keep the cap hit low in 2021 as we spread the bonuses over 4 years.

It'll take 25 mill a year or more just for Thuney and Linsley please explain how we can afford all of those other players you mentioned plus have room for all of our draft picks..... wont have enough for WJ3 and Lawson that we need to keep... stop pipe dreaming and actually be REALISTIC.
Reply/Quote
It now seems like we wont be spending big on tackle anymore as there isnt anyone left of that price range. Does increase the possibility of Thuney. Get a stopgap rt and hope for sewell.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 01:08 AM)pulses Wrote: It'll take 25 mill a year or more just for Thuney and Linsley please explain how we can afford all of those other players you mentioned plus have room for all of our draft picks..... wont have enough for WJ3 and Lawson that we need to keep... stop pipe dreaming and actually be REALISTIC.

Cut Geno = 9.5 million
Cut Gio = 4.1 million
Cut Price = 2.1 million
Cut Hopkins (Linsley replaced him0 = 4.3 million
Cut Uzomah - 5.2 million

I have not even mentioned Hart and those 5 guys would get us Thuney and Linsley if contracts were structured properly and each 4 year deals with large bonuses paid upfront so the bonus portion could be spread over 4 years reducing the 2021 cap hit for each

Thuney - 4 years 52 million, but 20 million paid in bonus in 2021 = 5 million cap hit for 4 years, then remaining 32 million in salary paid as follows:
2021 - 4 million guaranteed (so 9 million cap hit for 2021)
2022 - 6 million (guaranteed (so 10 million cap hit)
2023 - 10 million - 2 million guaranteed (so 15 million cap hit, but an out of saving 8 million if not playing well)
2024 - 12 million - no guarantees so 17 million cap hit or savings of 12 million if cut or traded

Do similar with Linsley as he is only 30 years old and Thuney is 29 I think. This is what creative GM's do.

Oh and we still have 34 million left after draft picks class signed to go after others in FA
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 08:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, hurts for us Bengal fans, for sure.  However, can you really blame the guy for wanting to stay with the Bills?  They have one of the most rabid ban bases in football, in Bills Mafia.  They have a good team, with what looks like a potential future All-Pro in Allen at QB, they made noise in the playoffs, and are doing their level best to keep the band together.

Meanwhile, you have the Bengals.  The Bengals missed their sweet spot with 5 straight playoff appearances, their chance to get noticed and command respect from Big Market USA.  The team that was, is now diminished and pretty much starting from scratch with a new franchise QB, and a handful of younger, talented players.  

If I hadn't been a Bengal fan my whole life, it would be really tough to not love the Bills, as a new football fan.

Oh, I don't blame him at all. The Buffalo Bills are building a franchise around that QB. I think they're going to compete for a long time, especially if the Chiefs suffer from having to pay the Patrick Price, like so many teams with elite QBs on second contracts have to. They could be the dominant force in the AFC for at least the next 3 or 4 years, before they also encounter the question of "will my star QB's second contract hurt the team more than it helps us?"

I just was REALLY hoping we sign our new RT in free agency rather than in the draft since offensive line has a tendency to take a year or two to truly become good in the NFL (Look at Jonah Williams. Very talented, but he undoubtedly had some bad games this year). And with Williams off the market, it's basically down to Reiff, Villanueva, Okung and maybe Wagner (although I see him as a minor upgrade rather than a substantial one).  Trent Williams is still on the market too, I think, but he's gonna cost like 15 to 20 million per year and I just don't see the Bengals doing that haha. And, of the options I listed, not a single one is under 30, so they're closer to stop gaps than anything else. 

I will say that if we chose to draft Rashawn Slater, I'd feel better about him starting in year 1 at RT than I would Sewell. Slater doesn't have the upside that Sewell has, but he's about as polished as a tackle can get coming out of college. So it'd be a question of trading upside for stability (in regards to the Slater vs Sewell debate).
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 06:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Definitely if we cut Geno, Gio and others.

We have 44 million minus 10 for rookies so if no cuts or restructures we have 34 million

Thuney and Linsley sign for contracts with huge bonuses, 4 years to keep the cap hit low in 2021 as we spread the bonuses over 4 years.

I doubt we could do all of this even if we cut Geno, Gio and others....
Reply/Quote