Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dat ting
Yo! Did youse guys take care of dat ting?

Jimmy "no nose" wants tuh know.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I and a few of yous odders grew up in a time when accents were more defined and you knew where someone was from by the way they talked.. TV and the fact that we're a much more mobile society has really made most families lose their old accents.. I grew up listening to my old man say quatta, watta and other NY things. Most of my friends had a strong kentucky accent and we knew who was who from how they talked.. It's not so easy anymore.. Back then i wasn't hard to tell if someone grew up around Harlan or Lexington or Southern Ohio or West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Indiana.. It was a different time I guess...
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 07:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: I and a few of yous odders grew up in a time when accents were more defined and you knew where someone was from by the way they talked.. TV and the fact that we're a much more mobile society has really made most families lose their old accents.. I grew up listening to my old man say quatta, watta and other NY things. Most of my friends had a strong kentucky accent and we knew who was who from how they talked.. It's not so easy anymore.. Back then i wasn't hard to tell if someone grew up around Harlan or Lexington or Southern Ohio or West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Indiana.. It was a different time I guess...

Good points. Dialects and accents used to be more pronounced back when we were kids.
Reply/Quote
I told two yutes to do it! Dey shoulda been done by now.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 11:10 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I told two yutes to do it!  Dey shoulda been done by now.

I'm just sayin', the last guy what didn't do a ting for Jimmy.... well, dat guy ain't doin' so good no more, if you know what I mean.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 07:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: I and a few of yous odders grew up in a time when accents were more defined and you knew where someone was from by the way they talked.. TV and the fact that we're a much more mobile society has really made most families lose their old accents.. I grew up listening to my old man say quatta, watta and other NY things. Most of my friends had a strong kentucky accent and we knew who was who from how they talked.. It's not so easy anymore.. Back then i wasn't hard to tell if someone grew up around Harlan or Lexington or Southern Ohio or West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Indiana.. It was a different time I guess...

A LOT of people around this area used to pronounce the word "wash" like "worsh".

"Did you put the clothes in the worshing machine?"

"I'm going to go worsh my car."

"George Worshington was our 1st president."

Seeing your post reminded of this.  Hadn't thought about for awhile and I'm not even sure it's common anymore.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 04:43 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A LOT of people around this area used to pronounce the word "wash" like "worsh".

Seeing your post reminded of this.  Hadn't thought about for awhile and I'm not even sure it's common anymore.

My mothers whole family, all D.C. born and raised, all pronounced it that way and drove me crazy!
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 04:43 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A LOT of people around this area used to pronounce the word "wash" like "worsh".

(05-17-2021, 09:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: My mothers whole family, all D.C. born and raised, all pronounced it that way and drove me crazy!

Sometimes I listen to British people speaking and some of them (probably a dialect) throw these "r's" into words where there are no "r's". It freaks me out when I hear it. I'm like, "WTF did you just say?!?!?"

And when they try and say "aluminum", I completely go off the deep end! They say, "a-lu-min-ium". Arrrrrgggghhh!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 01:42 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Sometimes I listen to British people speaking and some of them (probably a dialect) throw these "r's" into words where there are no "r's". It freaks me out when I hear it. I'm like, "WTF did you just say?!?!?"

And when they try and say "aluminum", I completely go off the deep end! They say, "a-lu-min-ium". Arrrrrgggghhh!!!

There's an easy explanation for that!! The way the metal is spelled in British English ( and likely everywhere else but America) is Aluminium. At some point, us 'muricans decided we're just gonna spell it differently and say it how we spell it.
Reply/Quote

Man my Dad still says Worshington. Drives me nuts. He was born and raised in Cincinnati. Grandparents never said it like that.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote

My wife makes fun of my pronunciation of "worsh".. I don't hear it, but apparently she does..

When I was a kid, around 17 I was in Job Corps in Darby, Montana . There were guys from just about every state, NY, Boston, all over the south, Texas, even Montana..Anyway I picked up on the different accents and still speak with different dialects to this day depending on the subject at hand.. The most pronounced to my ear was from Bahhstun.. Boston..they drank tarnic (tonic) instead of soda pop.. 
Quite a hoot watching new kids from Brooklyn seeing snow capped mountains for the first time in their lives..
I remember one kid telling me he never knew mountains were real. He thought they were just made up..lol  One guy thought bears were just stuffed animals.. Quite an eye opener for a lot of guys back then..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 09:08 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Good points. Dialects and accents used to be more pronounced back when we were kids.

Yup

In my youth growing up in Southern Ohio, I could throw a rock and hit Kentucky. Most all of my "kinfolk" were from the mountains of West Virginia and Kentucky. Anyways there was a dialect I rarely hear anymore some of which has been mentioned. Here's a few.

Worsh - wash

Crick - creek

Yonder - over there

Again - up against something

Holler - draw between two hills

Sanrich ? - sandwich

Ett - ate

Pop - soda 

Mangos - bell peppers

Just a few that come to mind.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 04:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sanrich ? - sandwich

I know I get some strange looks when I ask my woman, "Where da hell be my sammich?!?!?!"

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=13143919]

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 01:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: My wife makes fun of my pronunciation of "worsh".. I don't hear it, but apparently she does..

When I was a kid, around 17 I was in Job Corps in Darby, Montana . There were guys from just about every state, NY, Boston, all over the south, Texas, even Montana..Anyway I picked up on the different accents and still speak with different dialects to this day depending on the subject at hand.. The most pronounced to my ear was from Bahhstun.. Boston..they drank tarnic (tonic) instead of soda pop.. 
Quite a hoot watching new kids from Brooklyn seeing snow capped mountains for the first time in their lives..
I remember one kid telling me he never knew mountains were real. He thought they were just made up..lol  One guy thought bears were just stuffed animals.. Quite an eye opener for a lot of guys back then..

Shocked Boston is not a state!

Sorry, I couldn't resist  Wink
Reply/Quote
The teams for my kids' school are the "Tornadoes" . they call them the "Naders".
Reply/Quote