Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting stat on "conservative" Marvin Lewis
Last year the Bengals threw the ball 54% of the time when they had a lead in the 2nd half.  That was the second highest percentage in the league.

But in the name of fair and balanced reporting I have to add that the previous three seasons we ranked 30th, 21st, and 27th.  So last years numbers may have been more about how terrible our running game was than Marvin being more aggressive.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So last years numbers may have been more about how terrible our running game was than Marvin being more aggressive.

I think that's EXACTLY what it was.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 12:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think that's EXACTLY what it was.

I think the same and i have said before that if the running game is solid it takes away from any inferred conservatism.

If it works, do it. Do it.

The running game was the worst in franchise history last year. This will change for the better big time this year with
the additions of Frank Pollack, Cordy Glenn and Billy Price. Lap is already seeing a much more aggressive Line.

Mixon and Gio should have a huge year which in turn will open it up for Dalton and the passing game.
Reply/Quote
When your running game is averaging -1.5 yards a carry we didn't have any choice but to pass. Surprised the numbers aren't higher.

Merv is still conservative
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I honestly think Marvin is one of the more aggressive coaches in the league, just by the eye test.

He goes for it on fourth and short more often than not and goes for touchdowns in the red zone on fourth downs more often than not.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Yep, this isn't surprising to me. Weak run game. Behind. Why a lot of people put blame on Dalton for 'casually' running for his life and throwing the ball away. When the D is dropping back 7 or 8 and STILL getting pressure, you have SERIOUS issues.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
How many leads we're lost in the third quarter forcing the Bengals to throw the ball playing catchup?
I don't know the answer, that's why I'm asking.
Reply/Quote
Poor O-line play = Desperation
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 10:48 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Poor O-line play = Desperation

Yes. Leads to a lot of 3 and outs. Bengals ranked dead last in time of possession. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 02:50 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I honestly think Marvin is one of the more aggressive coaches in the league, just by the eye test.

He goes for it on fourth and short more often than not and goes for touchdowns in the red zone on fourth downs more often than not.

Being an aggressive coach is way more than just going for it on 4th down. That's often desperation 
Reply/Quote
Dude punted down 20-0 against Baltimore in week 1 at around the 50 yard line early in the 4th quarter...

He's not always conservative, but at times is maddeningly cautious
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 07:36 PM)Brimey Wrote: Dude punted down 20-0 against Baltimore in week 1 at around the 50 yard line early in the 4th quarter...

He's not always conservative, but at times is maddeningly cautious

Based on the way that game was going he may as well have let Dalton throw a long INT there.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 02:50 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I honestly think Marvin is one of the more aggressive coaches in the league, just by the eye test.

He goes for it at the wrong times and I'm pretty sure he just does it to try and shed the conservative label and to look smart.

He outthinks himself and tries to be an aggressive coach, which he's not, and I feel like it often backfires.  He takes risks at wrong times and is conservative at wrong times.

He needs to realize that there's a time (and location) on the field to be aggressive, which just goes back to his horrible game management.

I hope the new coaches (and guys in new positions) can convince him of our strengths and when is a good time to take risks.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year the Bengals threw the ball 54% of the time when they had a lead in the 2nd half.  That was the second highest percentage in the league.

But in the name of fair and balanced reporting I have to add that the previous three seasons we ranked 30th, 21st, and 27th.  So last years numbers may have been more about how terrible our running game was than Marvin being more aggressive.

I believe you more or less pegged it with the first sentence in the second paragraph there.

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 03:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He goes for it at the wrong times and I'm pretty sure he just does it to try and shed the conservative label and to look smart.

He outthinks himself and tries to be an aggressive coach, which he's not, and I feel like it often backfires.  He takes risks at wrong times and is conservative at wrong times.

He needs to realize that there's a time (and location) on the field to be aggressive, which just goes back to his horrible game management.

I hope the new coaches (and guys in new positions) can convince him of our strengths and when is a good time to take risks.

Yup,

What kills me is when we're up 13-6 with three minutes to go until the half and take the punt out to our own 40 and we pull the famous run, run, pass, punt out and the other team gets it back with a minute and a half left and drives down and ties the game just before the half.

It's not 1978 anymore Merv that sitting on a lead crap doesn't cut it anymore !
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 03:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He goes for it at the wrong times and I'm pretty sure he just does it to try and shed the conservative label and to look smart.

True that Brad, Marv should have like the most BAD TIMING AWARDS around.

(07-30-2018, 04:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup,

What kills me is when we're up 13-6 with three minutes to go until the half and take the punt out to our own 40 and we pull the famous run, run, pass, punt out and the other team gets it back with a minute and a half left and drives down and ties the game just before the half.

It's not 1978 anymore Merv that sitting on a lead crap doesn't cut it anymore !

Yes, step on their damn neck man.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year the Bengals threw the ball 54% of the time when they had a lead in the 2nd half.  That was the second highest percentage in the league.

i think Marvin is "slightly" too conservative....

BUT....

if we have a better O-line, & I'm sure we will this yr,  he should feel more confident to GO FOR IT...
probably more flea flickers too....
Reply/Quote