Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Lapham - Says Dillard at #11
(04-25-2019, 02:08 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: For comparison's sake, whom did Lapham have us taking last year? Year before?

2018: Picked Ragnow, but said Billy Price would be the pick it Ragnow was gone.
2017: Picked Ross
2016: Picked Will Fuller, but said the Bengals would go CB if the receivers were gone.
2015: Picked Ogbuehi a couple of hours before the draft.
2014: Picked Bradley Roby, but said Dennard would be the pick it he's at 24.
2013: Picked Eifert very early on.
2012: Picked Stephon Gilmore and Kevin Zeitler.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2019, 06:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mean to just pick on Samhain because a lot of people have said the same thing, but it is absurd to say that every long lean OT sucks.

Joe Thomas 6'6", 312.... 10 Pro Bowl, 6 All Pro    
Joe Staley 6'5", 315...…. 6 Pro Bowl 
Ryan Clady 6'6", 315..... 4 Pro Bowl, 2 All Pro
Jake Long 6'7", 315...…. 4 Pro Bowl, 1 All Pro 
Taylor Lewan 6'7", 309.. 3 Pro Bowl  
Lane Johnson 6'6", 317.. 2 Pro Bowl 1 All Pro 

Many of you would be saying these guys suck and we should never draft anyone like them.

How many of those guys came out of school with questionable strength?  Staley maybe?  It's not just the long/lean part.  It's also the fact that almost everything you read about him says he needs to get stronger.  Almost every player you mentioned was a slam dunk top OT prospect when they came out.  Dillard wasn't until a few weeks ago.  Now all of a sudden he's the top OT in the draft?  What exactly changed since the CFB season ended?

Lean player, questionable strength, spent college in an air raid system, short arms, questionable Senior Bowl performance against better competition.  Too many red flags to fall in love with his athleticism alone.  

Also, unlike what we're accustomed to around here, this offense ran much better to the left side last season.  You want to replace Glenn with this beanpole?  Where exactly is Mixon supposed to run?  Absolutely no one views Dillard as a plus run blocker.  
Reply/Quote
Actually none of them came out with questionable strength. Staley's strength was rated good his only potential weakness was specifically run game drive blocking. Dillard has major strength question marks, also was noted does not finish and his punch is not accurate. Meanwhile Williams has zero strength issues and is the best technician at OL the draft has seen in years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:07 AM)Joelist Wrote: Actually none of them came out with questionable strength. Staley's strength was rated good his only potential weakness was specifically run game drive blocking. Dillard has major strength question marks, also was noted does not finish and his punch is not accurate. Meanwhile Williams has zero strength issues and is the best technician at OL the draft has seen in years.

This worked out great.  I'm very pleased to have the player that I felt would be the best OT in the draft.  Nobody questions his power, technique, or aggression.  I'll take that guy all day long.  

As a bonus, he comes from a program that loves to run the ball in the toughest conference in college football vs a guy from an air raid system in the Pac 12.  This is a win for us.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2019, 09:14 PM)samhain Wrote: How many of those guys came out of school with questionable strength?  Staley maybe?  It's not just the long/lean part.  It's also the fact that almost everything you read about him says he needs to get stronger.  Almost every player you mentioned was a slam dunk top OT prospect when they came out.  Dillard wasn't until a few weeks ago.  Now all of a sudden he's the top OT in the draft?  What exactly changed since the CFB season ended?

Lean player, questionable strength, spent college in an air raid system, short arms, questionable Senior Bowl performance against better competition.  Too many red flags to fall in love with his athleticism alone.  

Also, unlike what we're accustomed to around here, this offense ran much better to the left side last season.  You want to replace Glenn with this beanpole?  Where exactly is Mixon supposed to run?  Absolutely no one views Dillard as a plus run blocker.  

I don't think it's as simple as saying Ced busted so guys of a similar body-type will be a bust.

To me, the questions on Dillard are the scheme he plays in. He isn't asked to run block. And they use wide offensive line splits.

Now, he may be able to pick those things up well in the NFL. Nobody know.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't think it's as simple as saying Ced busted so guys of a similar body-type will be a bust.

To me, the questions on Dillard are the scheme he plays in. He isn't asked to run block. And they use wide offensive line splits.

Now, he may be able to pick those things up well in the NFL. Nobody know.

Maybe Lap was blowing smoke for us.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 04:36 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He said, " Dillard!" He also said that if Williams is available they should; "Sprint!" , to the podium. There as mention of the two LBs , but sounded like one of the two tackles is the pick...imho.

Apparently, some folks only glean what they choose when they read or do some facsimile there of. I read the article. I relayed what he said. They didn't expect Williams or Bush to be there. Hence, the naming of Dillard as the pick. However, Williams was available so they sprinted to the podium. As they should have.
Reply/Quote
Glad we didn't take Dillard, good pass protector sure but has a lot to work on as a run blocker.

Need a player like Jonah who can do both, great pick.
Reply/Quote