Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dave Lapham second round selection
(04-23-2020, 12:50 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't see it, and I don't really like it, either. Unless Murray or Queen fall, I won't believe that they're taking a linebacker in 2 until I see it. It's a devalued position and one that has a number of prospects that are all fairly similar in value that will likely be available in 3 or 4. I'd be happier with any of Dye, Harrsion, or Gay Jr. in the 4th, and I really think that at least one will be there.

I don't think that this team backed up a Brink's truck in FA on the defensive side so they could turn around and take a blah player at a blah position at 33. IMO the aim is likely to get an offensive weapon or blocker to pair with the new franchise quarterback. They've done it in every single year in which they drafted a QB with a high pick, and I believe they will this year, too.

We know they wanted a LB in FA. They went after Schobert, but were outbid. I can absolutely see them going that way in the 2nd.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Yes, he looks great in his highlights, but don't we all. Just watched a bit of tape against Oklahoma and it wasn't inspiring (whole team was getting spanked though).

He's twitchy and fast, and 33" arms for a guy 6 foot is just stupid. But in my opinion we need to either get a guy we had a first round grade on (and I can't imagine we have that on Brooks) or a trade down at 33.

Ok maybe an exaggeration to say it would be as disappointing as Sample, but close.
Reply/Quote
PFF has him graded very highly. He’s ranked in the top 5 LB prospects among most analytics guys. I would be okay with this pick but I’d like a quality RT to protect Burrow. It’ll be interesting how this 1st round shakes out.

It’s draft day. Let’s get it! Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
Ok... that's who he's guessing for the second.

But... what about his prediction on the first?

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We know they wanted a LB in FA. They went after Schobert, but were outbid. I can absolutely see them going that way in the 2nd.

I don't unless it's someone they are in love with.  I see them taking a pass rusher or even (hopefully not) a corner with that pick before a linebacker.  

If rumors are correct and the Steelers/Ravens have interest in Brooks, perhaps the Bengals are trying to force their hand by threatening to draft him at 33.  

As for Lap, I don't quite believe that Zac is quite as loose with info as the previous administration.  There's a good chance that he really is just guessing as opposed to in the past when he'd mysteriously nail almost every first rounder.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Watching some of Brooks highlights and if he’s the pick it’s pretty clear the Bengals REALLY don’t want anyone to be able to run on them...

Agree. I’m thinking they really fear Lamar n are going all out to stop him. This guy is a beast against the run. Pass coverage not so much.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 11:33 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I heard last night on XM radio teams were looking at Brooks in round 1.   They mentioned Raiders n Ravens n Steelers as options.  

He flying up boards due to his 40 tine n the fact he can start from day one.  Guy is as physical as it gets.

Steelers do not have a first round pick??
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:19 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Good post. There is no reason to reach for WR in the 2nd. It should be LB or T at #2.

This is the best WR class in over a decade.  It's very likely the BPA at 33 is a WR.  It would be hard to reach for a WR.  Most of the 2nd/3rd round WR'S this year would be first rounders in a normal year.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:56 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Yes, he looks great in his highlights, but don't we all. Just watched a bit of tape against Oklahoma and it wasn't inspiring (whole team was getting spanked though).

He's twitchy and fast, and 33" arms for a guy 6 foot is just stupid. But in my opinion we need to either get a guy we had a first round grade on (and I can't imagine we have that on Brooks) or a trade down at 33.

Ok maybe an exaggeration to say it would be as disappointing as Sample, but close.

That’s silly Brooks has prototype build n speed for linebacker. His stats are ridiculous. Had 20 tackles for loss. His game tape was is superior than Burfict in college. I don’t get why people don’t like this pick. The guy is a freak just because you never heard his name before yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:50 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't see it, and I don't really like it, either.  Unless Murray or Queen fall, I won't believe that they're taking a linebacker in 2 until I see it.  It's a devalued position and one that has a number of prospects that are all fairly similar in value that will likely be available in 3 or 4.  I'd be happier with any of Dye, Harrsion, or Gay Jr. in the 4th, and I really think that at least one will be there.

I don't think that this team backed up a Brink's truck in FA on the defensive side so they could turn around and take a blah player at a blah position at 33.  IMO the aim is likely to get an offensive weapon or blocker to pair with the new franchise quarterback.  They've done it in every single year in which they drafted a QB with a high pick, and I believe they will this year, too.

The thing with Brooks is he's a 2 down stack LB.  If a stack LB goes in 1, it's because he's a 3 down player. 

What I personally think has happened is the NFL did their mock draft on Monday and some team took Brooks in the 1st so as not to tip their hand.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:57 PM)Burreaux Wrote: PFF has him graded very highly. He’s ranked in the top 5 LB prospects among most analytics guys. I would be okay with this pick but I’d like a quality RT to protect Burrow. It’ll be interesting how this 1st round shakes out.

It’s draft day. Let’s get it! Who Dey!

Fred's the man for RT.

But, I wouldn't be opposed to Wilson or Jones, if available...

But Fred will be at RT.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We know they wanted a LB in FA. They went after Schobert, but were outbid. I can absolutely see them going that way in the 2nd.

They signed Bynes after losing out on Schobert, though.  They reportedly had interest in Jason Peters and trading for DeAndre Hopkins and have added nobody significant at T or WR.

The other thing is Brooks is a 180 from Schobert. Schobert sucks against the run, but is good in coverage while Brooks is a 2 down thumper.  Guys like Dye, ADG, and Queen more fit the mold of Schobert.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 11:17 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This guy knows his stuff, he’s predicted the last 10 or whatever first rounders.  After Burrow he came out with his prediction for round 2 recently.  It’s Jordyn Brooks LB from Texas Tech.    I mentioned this guy about a week ago after watching his game film.   Plays like Burfict with better speed.   Another run stopper seems to fit what the bengals are heading .  

He also mentioned Baun , Queen if he’s there and OT Wilson. I’m surprised no WR mention but it makes sense.  Brooks reminds me of Burfict / Wagner without the pass coverage skills though.

Well that is the only reason I am not for Brooks this early, his pass coverage skills are not high.

Think we need a more versatile 3 down Linebacker myself.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well that is the only reason I am not for Brooks this early, his pass coverage skills are not high.

If Brooks is who they want at LB, then there must be a reason.  I'm wondering if maybe they feel like Pratt is going to develop into that dynamic backer with the strong coverage skills, and they are looking for someone like Brooks to focus on run stuffing?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Watching some of Brooks highlights and if he’s the pick it’s pretty clear the Bengals REALLY don’t want anyone to be able to run on them...

Which will be really embarrassing when the LBs are then unable to cover the 3 TE offense that is the Ravens.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Might be a reach that early but he's no Sean Brewer. That guy might have been the worst pick ever. Not from a damage to the franchise standpoint but just the way they arrived at that choice. Utterly embarrassing.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well that is the only reason I am not for Brooks this early, his pass coverage skills are not high.

Strictly speaking, from what I understand, it's not that he lacks the skills, but that he just wasn't asked to do it at Texas Tech. That doesn't mean he can't. It looks like he has the traits for it - twitch, speed, long arms, etc. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 02:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Which will be really embarrassing when the LBs are then unable to cover the 3 TE offense that is the Ravens.

You’re right Baltimore passes way more than they run lmao smh
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 02:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If Brooks is who they want at LB, then there must be a reason.  I'm wondering if maybe they feel like Pratt is going to develop into that dynamic backer with the strong coverage skills, and they are looking for someone like Brooks to focus on run stuffing?

Definitely possible, good point, would just think there would be a LB at 33 that would be more versatile than Brooks
or maybe we could even trade back, get Brooks while adding another pick. Then we could get that other more versatile
LB later that can cover like Pratt. With us being in a 3-4 hybrid it means we don't need as many stack backers.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 02:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Which will be really embarrassing when the LBs are then unable to cover the 3 TE offense that is the Ravens.

This is my biggest concern.
Reply/Quote