Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Lapham
(04-20-2018, 08:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: No way is it icing, we have needs at LB , DL and Safety.. plus you don't know if either of these are panning out.. got to draft well up and down the draft.. teams are made more with your 3rd to 6th picks over your 1/2 round pick.  besides give me some Ragnow with the #2 pick and I will start spreading some of the icing on the Cake  Rock On

I kinda disagree that teams are "made more" with 3rd to 6th round picks than your 1/2 round picks.

Dalton- 2nd round
AJ Green- 1st round
Boyd- 2nd round
Cordy Glenn- 2nd round 
Joe Mixon- 2nd round
Gio Bernard- 2nd round
Tyler Eifert- 1st round
DreKirk- 1st round
WJIII- 1st round
Dennard- 1st round
Dunlap- 2nd round
----------------------------
Atkins- 4th round
Michael Johnson- 3rd round
Carl Lawson- 4th round
Nick Vigil- 3rd round
Andrew Billings- 4th round
Shawn Williams- 4th round
Tyler Kroft- 3rd round
Josh Shaw- 4th round
Clint Boling- 4th round
Preston Brown- 3rd round
Brandon LaFell- 3rd round

If you have to start this team over and can only keep the 1st/2nd rounders or the 3rd-6th rounders, who are you picking? Honestly. It's pretty clear that the 1st/2nd round group is better, even though we're talking 2 rounds (1st and 2nd) vs 4 rounds (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th). 

Obviously we can't hit on every pick, but we desperately need to hit on a lineman (especially Center) and the best chances of hitting are in the first 2 rounds. Prospects after that are usually heavily flawed. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 12:08 PM)grampahol Wrote: Although it would make sense to find a stud center high up in the draft this is the Mike Brown Bengals which means that there's nobody on the face of planet earth who realistically believes we'll get a top shelf center before round 4 unless they ALL fall to round 4.. I'm not saying Mikey is predictable, but he's kind of  predictable.. Sometime before now and April 26 some nobody will make some big splash, make the headlines and be the new shiny object of Mike Brown's desire and  sit on the bench till 2020 when we all get to ask the burning question , "WTF was he thinking ?" 
There's a fine line between pessimism and realism when it comes to Mike Brown.. 

He's predictable for sure. I am hoping big that this season with all the changes hes made already, and the 'behind closed doors' talks with Marvin during the contract talks, that he lets the coaches do what they do for the draft. Otherwise we may end up with another 1st round WR. I think the coaching staff would take a C high in a heartbeat if they had one on their board, and they surely will this draft. Here's to hoping..... Cheers
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 10:09 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Typical post combine hype. He had a good combine and someone had to get it since Brown looked so bad. I hate the idea of Miller going in the first round.

I like it if he goes to New England  Hilarious
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 11:49 AM)sandwedge Wrote: That we would be the best draft of all time!!

lol see my mock for that bro...
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 10:31 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: lol see my mock for that bro...

With Hobsons mock I bet Mike Brown says let's be sneaky Geoff and throw them a screw ball to throw them off and Geoff is like yesss boss in his ugly henchman voice. 

As for lapham notice he did mention we will draft two corners also with 2 lineman ,2 safeties,2 linebackers or something like that. I bet the first pick is a corner.
Reply/Quote
You could make a case that the second round is the sweet spot with guys like Dunlap, Bernard, Mixon, and AD.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 05:32 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: With Hobsons mock I bet Mike Brown says let's be sneaky Geoff and throw them a screw ball to throw them off and Geoff is like yesss boss in his ugly henchman voice. 

As for lapham notice he did mention we will draft two corners also with 2 lineman ,2 safeties,2 linebackers or something like that. I bet the first pick is a corner.

How tough is it to predict 8 of 11 draft picks? No offense, but nothing here from Lapham yet in my opinion
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 05:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How tough is it to predict 8 of 11 draft picks? No offense, but nothing here from Lapham yet in my opinion

You think he's not near by when they are at the chalkboard circling positions and players? I do lol
Reply/Quote
I just want our O-Line sorted, if we can get that done then I will be happy.
Also I am really worried that if we don't and Dalton gets injured early then we could be the Cleveland Browns of this years NFL and we will be luck to win 3 or 4 games, We really need to find a good back up QB
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 10:16 PM)TKUHL Wrote: If your talking about the OLmen I have to agree. Not sure what all the hype is about with him.

I am coming on here to tell EVERYONE,if the Bengals do not draft FRANK RAGLOW AT 21,he will be long gone at 46 and he is BY FAR the best center in this draft.They will be making another huge mistake if they let him get away.He never allowed a sack to his QB in all four years.He is a stud at 6ft 8 in monster and has a mean mean streak.He is who we need and who we should draft,forget about anyone else.Take this guy at 21 and do not be stupid.I do not care who is on the board,He is a huge need for us and the best of the best.If they go after anyone else I will be pissed and I will right away start slamming them for being assholes.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 07:13 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I am coming on here to tell EVERYONE,if the Bengals do not draft FRANK RAGLOW AT 21,he will be long gone at 46 and he is BY FAR the best center in this draft.They will be making another huge mistake if they let him get away.He never allowed a sack to his QB in all four years.He is a stud at 6ft 8 in monster and has a mean mean streak.He is who we need and who we should draft,forget about anyone else.Take this guy at 21 and do not be stupid.I do not care who is on the board,He is a huge need for us and the best of the best.If they go after anyone else I will be pissed and I will right away start slamming them for being assholes.

We happen to have more than C as a hole on the OL. The RT prospects we have all failed in previous seasons. An injury to Glenn means Ogbuehi is our new/old starting LT. There is no Andre Smith (as average as he has become) to step in. We literally could have Ogbuehi on the left and Hart on the right and no one even average to step in.

We need a new Center. If a guy who can play LT well falls to us at 21 we take him and then we take a Center in the 2nd. If we take the top Center in the 1st we'll certainly be taking a RT or LT player at some point in the draft.

Are you willing to be one injured player away from Ogbuehi starting again?

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 07:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: We happen to have more than C as a hole on the OL. The RT prospects we have all failed in previous seasons. An injury to Glenn means Ogbuehi is our new/old starting LT. There is no Andre Smith (as average as he has become) to step in. We literally could have Ogbuehi on the left and Hart on the right and no one even average to step in.

We need a new Center. If a guy who can play LT well falls to us at 21 we take him and then we take a Center in the 2nd. If we take the top Center in the 1st we'll certainly be taking a RT or LT player at some point in the draft.

Are you willing to be one injured player away from Ogbuehi starting again?

Sure, the OL has multiple issues, but securing the Center position is a great place to start.  It's been 12 years since the Bengals had a man at Center that was a true difference maker, 12 years.  It's time to acknowledge the position for it's full and true value.  Aren't you tired of seeing the Bengals forced to pass on 3rd and 2 or 3?  Tired of seeing NTs blowing the Center back into Dalton's feet?

Many football philosophers say that the way to build a strong team is to start with the guys closest to the ball, and work outward.  I'll never begin to understand Mike Brown's philosophy of putting the highest priority on the players lined up furthest away from the ball.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, the OL has multiple issues, but securing the Center position is a great place to start.  It's been 12 years since the Bengals had a man at Center that was a true difference maker, 12 years.  It's time to acknowledge the position for it's full and true value.  Aren't you tired of seeing the Bengals forced to pass on 3rd and 2 or 3?  Tired of seeing NTs blowing the Center back into Dalton's feet?

Many football philosophers say that the way to build a strong team is to start with the guys closest to the ball, and work outward.  I'll never begin to understand Mike Brown's philosophy of putting the highest priority on the players lined up furthest away from the ball.

Agreed,

I'm sick to death of this team struggling at center !
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, the OL has multiple issues, but securing the Center position is a great place to start.  It's been 12 years since the Bengals had a man at Center that was a true difference maker, 12 years.  It's time to acknowledge the position for it's full and true value.  Aren't you tired of seeing the Bengals forced to pass on 3rd and 2 or 3?  Tired of seeing NTs blowing the Center back into Dalton's feet?

I won't be upset at all if we take a Center in the 1st. I won't be upset at all if we take McGlinchey in the 1st and Price in the 2nd. Either way the OL will improve quite a bit.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many football philosophers say that the way to build a strong team is to start with the guys closest to the ball, and work outward.  I'll never begin to understand Mike Brown's philosophy of putting the highest priority on the players lined up furthest away from the ball.

Pretty much every team in the league does just like Mike and drafts OTs higher than OGs or OCs.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 06:20 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: You think he's not near by when they are at the chalkboard circling positions and players? I do lol

I think he does know the pulse of this team better than most. My point is stating we need 2 corners, 2 OL, 2 LB and 2 safety out of 11 picks we have is predictable and leaves 3 picks unaccounted for as of now. I did not hear him say a definitive center or guard or CB or whatever with top picks (yet). But as the draft gets closer, he seems to nail down the 1st round position we will target.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 07:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Pretty much every team in the league does just like Mike and drafts OTs higher than OGs or OCs.

There’s the nfl doing everything like mike does comment. Since there are twice as many tackles and guards needed it’s not surprising. And the tackle spot is generally considered a “skill” position. However, most Nfl teams don’t ignore the center position like ebenezer has.

If only mike won the occasional playoff game like lots of other nfl teams seem to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 11:39 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: There’s the nfl doing everything like mike does comment.  Since there are twice as many tackles and guards needed it’s not surprising.  And the tackle spot is generally considered a “skill” position.  However, most Nfl teams don’t ignore the center position like ebenezer has.

If only mike won the occasional playoff game like lots of other nfl teams seem to do

The practice of drafting OT/CB/DE/QB higher than other positions comes from before the rookie wage scale when these first rounders commanded big bucks. right out the gate.  So you had to take a position where it made sense to pay that much...  Ie your not taking a punter/kicker/OG/OC/TE etc in the first round unless they are exceptional..
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 11:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: The practice of drafting OT/CB/DE/QB higher than other positions comes from before the rookie wage scale when these first rounders commanded big bucks. right out the gate.  So you had to take a position where it made sense to pay that much...  Ie your not taking a punter/kicker/OG/OC/TE etc in the first round unless they are exceptional..

So are you saying ebenezer has been slow to adjust to this paradigm shift?

Reply/Quote
I have a feeling after last years pick and because we are now picking more in our comfort area of early twenties that there could be a surprise pick here...primarily because we will go back to BPA and let others reach for QB/WR..

I have a hunch they'll end up defense as I think one of the rated DT/DB drops into their lap.

if they had an OL they rated way ahead of everyone maybe they stick but Q Nelson aside , is there massive difference between say price/ragnow, or hernandez and wynn??

I think someone like Vea, Fitzpatrick,   james even roquan smith could get to them on the night and if that happens they go bpa and come back to the OL
Reply/Quote