Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Lapham
(04-23-2018, 11:56 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So are you saying ebenezer has been slow to adjust to this paradigm shift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you get it.

This is not about Mike Brown.  It is about every team in the league.  OTs get drafted higher than Ocs and OGs.

Since 2010 there have been a total of 4 OCs taken in the first round, 12 OGs and 32 OTs.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 04:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you get it.

This is not about Mike Brown.  It is about every team in the league.  OTs get drafted higher than Ocs and OGs.

Since 2010 there have been a total of 4 OCs taken in the first round, 12 OGs and 32 OTs.

And Ragnow will be taken in the first round this year by either us, the Patriots, Panthers, Falcons or Vikings
according to Jason La Canfora. We are all interested in him early. Daniels has also been mocked to us tons of
times at 21, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Still i bet atleast Ragnow will be taken in the first round this year.

Hopefully it is us that takes him and we have that stud Center ready to go come OTA's.

The rest is pretty much drinking time after this. Center is more of a need than RT, they will not just give up on
Fisher. Center is more of a need than Guard, Pollack can coach up Westerman, Redmond or a 2nd to 4th round
Draft pick up easier than TJ Johnson to be our starting Center in NFL games.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And Ragnow will be taken in the first round this year by either us, the Patriots, Panthers, Falcons or Vikings
according to Jason La Canfora. We are all interested in him early. Daniels has also been mocked to us tons of
times at 21, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Still i bet atleast Ragnow will be taken in the first round this year.

Hopefully it is us that takes him and we have that stud Center ready to go come OTA's.

The rest is pretty much drinking time after this. Center is more of a need than RT, they will not just give up on
Fisher. Center is more of a need than Guard, Pollack can coach up Westerman, Redmond or a 2nd to 4th round
Draft pick up easier than TJ Johnson to be our starting Center in NFL games.
I agree there's a need for a center but if he can coach up Westerman & Redmond why can't he also coach up Johnson
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 05:22 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree there's a need for a center but if he can coach up Westerman & Redmond why can't he also coach up Johnson

Coach up TJ Johnson, sure. I think he could, doesn't mean we need to settle though and hope he does.
Reply/Quote
inside out refers to olinemen , d linemen rather than corners safety n wr
Reply/Quote
Listening to them today he's sticking with mcglinchey if he falls or center. He mentioned price as the main guy. I would put my money down on price. Seems just like a Bengals pick.wait till he recovers from injury guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 06:32 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Listening to them today he's sticking with mcglinchey if he falls or center. He mentioned price as the main guy. I would put my money down on price. Seems just like a Bengals pick.wait till he recovers from injury guy.

As Lap said, it is just how Pollack ranks them. Which makes me very happy.

I think we should grab the Center that can come in day one in OTA's but that is just me.

Price is a great run blocker and still has major upside. I guess we could survive while he recovers from injury.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 05:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Coach up TJ Johnson, sure. I think he could, doesn't mean we need to settle though and hope he does.

TJ has played a long time and showed nothing significant.  He's a middling back up.
Reply/Quote
While Guards and Centers are not generally first round picks they are also not held in as low a regard as we did - let high ranked ones go and always wait until the late rounds for Centers and such. The persistent refusal to treat the interior OL like it is important has dogged this team for years.
Reply/Quote

I get it.  I'm not sure you do.  As I replied to earlier, ot is drafted earlier because it's considered more of a skill position.  My comment that you quoted here was directed to another poster who pointed the change in the rookie wage scale.  

Perhaps you haven't noticed a greater emphasis by teams to try and stop interior pressure or the rising costs of guards on the free agent market.

Perhaps you don't get it?  Maybe the game has passed you by as it has your hero.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 07:01 PM)3wt Wrote: TJ has played a long time and showed nothing significant.  He's a middling back up.

I agree, we need a top Center for once. Don't settle for mediocrity people.

(04-23-2018, 07:05 PM)Joelist Wrote: While Guards and Centers are not generally first round picks they are also not held in as low a regard as we did - let high ranked ones go and always wait until the late rounds for Centers and such. The persistent refusal to treat the interior OL like it is important has dogged this team for years.

Yep, just watch how much the entire Offense improves with a top Center, especially our QB and running game.

To not know that a QB is usually only as good as his O-line is just crazy.

Proven time and time again that teams with the best Centers usually do well. Look at the Falcons a couple years ago
when they went to the Superbowl after they addressed the Center position and got Mack. Look at the Eagles last year
with Kelce, the Cowboys with Frederick that makes Prescott look better than he is...could go on.
Reply/Quote

Oh, we all "get it" as in why Tackles are more of a premium than interior OL.  I'm just saying that it's time to put the focus on Center, since they already addressed LT via trade.  It's been a long time since the Bengals put a top pick on the Center position.  We need one, why not take the pick of the litter?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 07:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, we all "get it" as in why Tackles are more of a premium than interior OL.  I'm just saying that it's time to put the focus on Center, since they already addressed LT via trade.  It's been a long time since the Bengals put a top pick on the Center position.  We need one, why not take the pick of the litter?

Makes too much sense...
Reply/Quote
How about this:

You take McGlinchey if he falls to 21. Then you use one of your three 3rd round picks (and maybe add one of your multiple 7th rounders if necessary) to move up earlier in the 2nd round and grab a C. I would absolutely love it if they got McGlinchey and one of the top 3 Cs in the first two rounds. Problem is, I don't think he falls to 21. If he doesn't, I would not be opposed to them trading back a few places and grabbing an extra pick....and then grabbing a C in round 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 04:26 PM)sonofstat Wrote: I have a feeling after last years pick and because we are now picking more in our comfort area of early twenties that there could be a surprise pick here...primarily because we will go back to BPA and let others reach for QB/WR..

I have a hunch they'll end up defense as I think one of the rated DT/DB drops into their lap.

if they had an OL they rated way ahead of everyone maybe they stick but Q Nelson aside , is there massive difference between say price/ragnow, or hernandez and wynn??

I think someone like Vea, Fitzpatrick,   james even roquan smith could get to them on the night and if that happens they go bpa and come back to the OL

Unfortunately I think you are dead on. Part of me also thinks we pulled the trigger on the Glenn deal knowing a C/G is part of the plan in the first and they didn't want to use a 12th overall pick on a Center/Guard knowing Nelson will more than likely be gone. So getting Glenn and the best C is a win win.

But I'm sure the pick will be on D. I just hope it's a stud LB that can rush and cover and not a CB or DT.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2018, 12:15 AM)Beaker Wrote: How about this:

You take McGlinchey if he falls to 21. Then you use one of your three 3rd round picks (and maybe add one of your multiple 7th rounders if necessary) to move up earlier in the 2nd round and grab a C. I would absolutely love it if they got McGlinchey and one of the top 3 Cs in the first two rounds. Problem is, I don't think he falls to 21. If he doesn't, I would not be opposed to them trading back a few places and grabbing an extra pick....and then grabbing a C in round 1.

If McGlenchey is there I think you have to take him and then do what you need to also take one of the top Centers. That should solidify the OL for several years to come.

Reply/Quote
After watching this line for 2 years, and poor center play for most of the last decade, it's unbelievable that some are ok with just throwing some random schleps on the interior and hoping Pollack "coaches them up".

Pollack had a line full of studs in Dallas. They addressed the line like it mattered. Hiring Pollack means we're halfway there. Now we need the talent. Real talent. Not Joe Schmuck 7th rounder that's been rotting the bench. Risking that we have some diamond in the rough lotto ticket isn't smart. Not after we've already wasted 2 years on bad linemen.

Take it seriously, just like Dallas did.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2018, 02:08 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: After watching this line for 2 years, and poor center play for most of the last decade, it's unbelievable that some are ok with just throwing some random schleps on the interior and hoping Pollack "coaches them up".

Pollack had a line full of studs in Dallas. They addressed the line like it mattered. Hiring Pollack means we're halfway there. Now we need the talent. Real talent. Not Joe Schmuck 7th rounder that's been rotting the bench. Risking that we have some diamond in the rough lotto ticket isn't smart. Not after we've already wasted 2 years on bad linemen.

100% agree

its funny..there have been posts on the board now saying that OG is not priority, don't sleep on Fisher, etc...have to be careful we do not re-write history - the OL has been the worst position group on the team and as big a factor as any in us moving from perennial playoff team to also rans.

personally I want them to go BPA as I think that center and OG are deep enough this year that we can get one in rd2 or3...now if they love one OL then fine get them at #21.

for me on the OL its boling, glenn, and westerman...anyhing after that im not convinced so we need multiple draft picks in first 3 rounds
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 04:26 PM)sonofstat Wrote: I have a feeling after last years pick and because we are now picking more in our comfort area of early twenties that there could be a surprise pick here...primarily because we will go back to BPA and let others reach for QB/WR..

I have a hunch they'll end up defense as I think one of the rated DT/DB drops into their lap.

if they had an OL they rated way ahead of everyone maybe they stick but Q Nelson aside , is there massive difference between say price/ragnow, or hernandez and wynn??

I think someone like Vea, Fitzpatrick,   james even roquan smith could get to them on the night and if that happens they go bpa and come back to the OL

If we could get Vea I would be ok with this, but I don't think he will be there, and no one else would make me want to move off of an Olineman at 21....
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2018, 02:08 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: After watching this line for 2 years, and poor center play for most of the last decade, it's unbelievable that some are ok with just throwing some random schleps on the interior and hoping Pollack "coaches them up".

Well, regardless of who's out there, I think if one of them lets Dalton get creamed on a play, going back to the bench afterward is going to be a lot rougher than it was going back to face Alexander....
Reply/Quote