REPS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle

Chubb clearly had more production, and in a tougher conference, but Davenport had some of his best outings against the best competition (Texas A&M) and he is far from at the pinnacle of his potential. Chubb could be gone with the #2 overall selection. The Bengals need to think about life after Carlos Dunlap, as MJ (who was never the impact player of Dunlap) has fallen off tremendously, Dunlap could as well. Davenport has a chance to be there at #21. I still believe the Bengals aren't taking a center in Rd 1, unless they get a haul to slide back, and if it is between a guy with elite pass rushing potential and a maybe OT like Kolton Miller, I might be very interested in Davenport. The Bengals, since Jerome Simpson, try to stay away from smaller school, smaller conference guys, but this man intrigues me.....plus, that is what my Grandmother always used to refer to her couch, which still makes me chuckle and smile to this day when I hear that word. Tongue

Thoughts on Davenport?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dont think he makes it past the lions. Every year rushers go earlier than expected so i dont see him dropping to us. Id take him if he did though.
Reply/Quote
I don't see the Bengals taking a project albeit a very talented one in the first round. He is very talented but Raw. Lorenzo Carter fits the mold what Marvin Lewis likes, he's an edge player a tweener who could probably play Sam. They can always tab Dunlop a franchise player for a year.

I agree they probably will not go Center in the first round. I've been following the Bengals for many years and I think the only took one Center fairly high in the draft and all of my life.

I think they like that offense tackle from Notre Dame the most mostly because of his attitude is similar to big Whit. With that said it would not surprise me one bit if the Cincinnati Bengals take a cornerback and round one. I'm just going to make sure I have plenty of beer and I'm slightly drunk when they pick in round one because they tend to shock me from time to time.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 02:36 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't see the Bengals taking a project albeit a very talented one in the first round.  He is very talented but Raw.  Lorenzo Carter fits the mold what Marvin Lewis likes, he's an edge player a tweener who could probably play Sam.  They can always tab Dunlop a franchise player for a year.

I agree they probably will not go Center in the first round.  I've been following the Bengals for many years and I think the only took one Center fairly high in the draft and all of my life.  

I think they like that offense tackle from Notre Dame the most mostly because of his attitude is similar to big Whit.  With that said it would not surprise me one bit if the Cincinnati Bengals take a cornerback and round one.   I'm just going to make sure I have plenty of beer and I'm slightly drunk when they pick in round one because they tend to shock me from time to time.

I believe the first ever pick by the bengals was a center.  They took Rimington in 1.  I don't recall any others.  Those picks were made by Paul.  He went to 2 Super Bowls and won several playoff for games.

Ebenezer doesn't value interior lineman and has as many playoff wins as you and I.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 05:58 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I believe the first ever pick by the bengals was a center.  They took Rimington in 1.  I don't recall any others.  Those picks were made by Paul.  He went to 2 Super Bowls and won several playoff for games.

Ebenezer doesn't value interior lineman and has as many playoff wins as you and I.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.

Sadly true.  That is why I am prepared for Ragnow to be gone in round 1 and many fans will lament.  If Josh Jackson is there at 21 i see them going with another corner or because they tend to value OT over guards/centers, they take Miller or McG.  I think McG will make a decent RT.  I guess they could go Edge.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 02:36 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't see the Bengals taking a project albeit a very talented one in the first round.  He is very talented but Raw.  Lorenzo Carter fits the mold what Marvin Lewis likes, he's an edge player a tweener who could probably play Sam.  They can always tab Dunlop a franchise player for a year.

I agree they probably will not go Center in the first round.  I've been following the Bengals for many years and I think the only took one Center fairly high in the draft and all of my life.  

I think they like that offense tackle from Notre Dame the most mostly because of his attitude is similar to big Whit.  With that said it would not surprise me one bit if the Cincinnati Bengals take a cornerback and round one.   I'm just going to make sure I have plenty of beer and I'm slightly drunk when they pick in round one because they tend to shock me from time to time.

I wouldn't exactly call him a project.  That was Margus Hunt.  This kid was a late bloomer, but has real football skills with tremendous punch and bendability (is that a word?).  

A tweener that could play SAM is like Lawson, or maybe the kid I like from Ball State, Winbush, who will be a late round pick.  This guy could play on either side of the line and be a true three down player.  He also has that height and length that we covet in our outside pass rushers (Dunlap, MJ, Will Clarke...all 6'6" of greater).  

What I like about him is his best move seems to be a punch once the tackle sells out to protect the wide angle and he cuts underneath.  Very, very strong punch, and still has room on his frame to get bigger and stronger.  He is cut like a large TE!!!  I think he could still be very fast at 290 lbs and be an absolute load on the outside.

I am warming up to the idea of him and would much rather have him than an OT like Miller.  McGlinchey, ok, but not Miller.  
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 06:08 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't exactly call him a project.  That was Margus Hunt.  This kid was a late bloomer, but has real football skills with tremendous punch and bendability (is that a word?).  

A tweener that could play SAM is like Lawson, or maybe the kid I like from Ball State, Winbush, who will be a late round pick.  This guy could play on either side of the line and be a true three down player.  He also has that height and length that we covet in our outside pass rushers (Dunlap, MJ, Will Clarke...all 6'6" of greater).  

What I like about him is his best move seems to be a punch once the tackle sells out to protect the wide angle and he cuts underneath.  Very, very strong punch, and still has room on his frame to get bigger and stronger.  He is cut like a large TE!!!  I think he could still be very fast at 290 lbs and be an absolute load on the outside.

I am warming up to the idea of him and would much rather have him than an OT like Miller.  McGlinchey, ok, but not Miller.  

I am not into Miller at all.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Judging by how long it took this thread to go from DE to OL, I think we call all agree where this team needs to spend it's high draft picks. Wink

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 08:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Judging by how long it took this thread to go from DE to OL, I think we call all agree where this team needs to spend it's high draft picks.  Wink

I understand where you are coming from and I agree, SS, that if there was an OT and a DE rated similarly that the Bengals need to OT...No question.

However, if McGlinchey doesn't fall to #21 and they have 2nd round grade on the Center position players, shouldn't we consider a player like Davenport?  I think the CB from Iowa is intriguing as a slot guy (we need that and the NFL is trending toward making that the most important CB spot).  Derwin would be my dream "why did he fall to #21?" guy, but I don't see that happening. 

The mere fact that the Bengals made the trade from #12 to #21 for Glenn tells me in some small part that they didn't see a huge difference between those picks in terms of talent.  

Margus Hunt and Will Clarke were tall, long, strong, and somewhat fast players, but they didn't have the agility of Davenport, who actually bettered Chubb with the 3-cone drill....I am sure Fred will pull out a player from 1998 that did, but I don't remember seeing any 6'6" player, especially a DE, that did things like a 4.41 20 yard shuttle and a 7.2 three-cone drill.  That shows great quickness and burst.  

There will be other DEs that I like (Dorance Armstrong, who I am about to make a mini-thread on under draft), but I think Davenport could be a very good choice (especially over Miller) at #21. 
Reply/Quote
Davenport is raw and from a small school, i would take him over Kolton Miller but that is about it.

I want Ragnow or Wynn in the first unless Edmunds the freak Linebacker falls or we like Rashaan Evans or LVE enough.

I like Landry better than Davenport for us if we go End in the first and i agree with Psych once again, Lorenzo Carter
in the 2nd is a real possibility. I would take Ragnow in the 1st and the versatile Carter in the 2nd, then grab your man
Orlando Brown in the 3rd. Could definately see this happening as well. Or Wynn, Price and Rasheem Green.
Reply/Quote