Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Bell new manager
It looks like David Bell is the new Reds manager for the next 3 years. I hope he brings us a championship. His father Buddy managed some clubs for a while. David is from Cincinnati so another home grown manager.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Who gives a shit? I'm done with baseball, where titles are bought, not won.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 03:11 PM)McC Wrote: Who gives a shit?  I'm done with baseball, where titles are bought, not won.

I think the Astros won their title pretty well last year.

you just gotta actually develop players.
Reply/Quote
I still like Reds baseball. Can't say I care too much about the Dodgers or Red Sox in the World Series. I was hoping Milwaukee would win it all. David Bell needs to acquire an ace pitcher and unfortunately it may cost Gennett. He should get rid of Homer and just eat the millions owed to him. I hope he keeps Hatcher for coach.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 05:28 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I still like Reds baseball. Can't say I care too much about the Dodgers or Red Sox in the World Series. I was hoping Milwaukee would win it all. David Bell needs to acquire an ace pitcher and unfortunately it may cost Gennett. He should get rid of Homer and just eat the millions owed to him. I hope he keeps Hatcher for coach.

I hope Bell can do something positive. We've been sunk in the rebuilding lake for way to long. And if Bailey is on the staff next season my following the Reds is going to be under major duress. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yay, more nepotism.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 03:11 PM)McC Wrote: Who gives a shit?  I'm done with baseball, where titles are bought, not won.

Only thing sadder than a person who has given up on baseball is a person who has given up on baseball but still hangs around a baseball forum just to tell everyone.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 03:13 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yay, more nepotism.

True but at least he has experience with other organizations too. If he wasn’t successful as the manager of a subpar minor league team, why would he be successful as a major league manager on a subpar team? Unless they add a number 1 and a number 2 starter, it’s pointless. A team loaded with number 5’s and a couple of injury prone #4’s is a joke, no manager will win with that poop.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 08:24 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: True but at least he has experience with other organizations too. If he wasn’t successful as the manager of a subpar minor league team, why would he be successful as a major league manager on a subpar team? Unless they add a number 1 and a number 2 starter, it’s pointless. A team loaded with number 5’s and a couple of injury prone #4’s is a joke, no manager will win with that poop.

Agreed, 

They have to give the starting pitching staff a complete makeover or it was pointless to keep all the position players. I know everybody yells they don't have the money but they're going to have to get creative somehow. 

Like you say another season of a starting staff full of #4 and #5's is just senseless, especially if they keep Bailey !
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 09:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agreed, 

They have to give the starting pitching staff a complete makeover or it was pointless to keep all the position players. I know everybody yells they don't have the money but they're going to have to get creative somehow. 

Like you say another season of a starting staff full of #4 and #5's is just senseless, especially if they keep Bailey !

It would be great if the could pull off 2 trades to get it done but I don’t think that they should purge what little they have in the minors. It will probably take one free agency signing too. That’s the scary part because they will have to overpay a difference maker to play in this stadium.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 08:24 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: True but at least he has experience with other organizations too. If he wasn’t successful as the manager of a subpar minor league team, why would he be successful as a major league manager on a subpar team? Unless they add a number 1 and a number 2 starter, it’s pointless. A team loaded with number 5’s and a couple of injury prone #4’s is a joke, no manager will win with that poop.

Sure, he has the resume. I don't knock that. I knock they put so much emphasis on being local, apart of Cincy history, being a "Bell", etc.

They need to align the FO with the coaching staff with making decision based on analytics. 
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 11:52 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Sure, he has the resume. I don't knock that. I knock they put so much emphasis on being local, apart of Cincy history, being a "Bell", etc.

They need to align the FO with the coaching staff with making decision based on analytics. 

I agree that local or family connections shouldn’t be a deciding factor. Aren’t Williams and Bell bothbig On analytics? I sometimes wonder which is better between analytics and a good ole fashioned baseball guy who has great eyes and ears. A guy that gets on base a lot but is a slow runner that makes crappy running decisions isn’t as good as a guy that gets on a little less but has speed and has great running instincts. Now let’s say that same guy that gets on a ton also sucks a defense and has little power. Is he really a baseball god if he gets on base like crazy but is bad at everything else? I’m going a little off of Votto but I’m not specifically talking about him. It just seems like it would be easy to focus on certain analytics and miss other obvious things. Personally, I prefer a baseball guy with a sprinkle of analytics. There’s yet to be a computer stat that shows a players heart and passion.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 03:02 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I agree that local or family connections shouldn’t be a deciding factor. Aren’t Williams and Bell bothbig On analytics? I sometimes wonder which is better between analytics and a good ole fashioned baseball guy who has great eyes and ears. A guy that gets on base a lot but is a slow runner that makes crappy running decisions isn’t as good as a guy that gets on a little less but has speed and has great running instincts. Now let’s say that same guy that gets on a ton also sucks a defense and has little power. Is he really a baseball god if he gets on base like crazy but is bad at everything else? I’m going a little off of Votto but I’m not specifically talking about him. It just seems like it would be easy to focus on certain analytics and miss other obvious things. Personally, I prefer a baseball guy with a sprinkle of analytics. There’s yet to be a computer stat that shows a players heart and passion.

They’re clearly not. Not saying they don’t use it, but I don’t think there’s as big of a buy in as there should be. No way. And yes, you have to
Understand situational baseball, but humans cannot digest numbers like computers can. So you base the vast majority of your decisions based off data because it’s been ran thousands of times over if you’re getting and using the right data. You set what you data you think is important and gather players that fit that same data. You make decisions off it.

And heart and passion are things you look for before basing your decisions off baseball moves. You’re not going to sign a guy who fits a certain data suggestion but is a locker room cancer. Season is far to long for that
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 03:25 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They’re clearly not. Not saying they don’t use it, but I don’t think there’s as big of a buy in as there should be. No way. And yes, you have to
Understand situational baseball, but humans cannot digest numbers like computers can. So you base the vast majority of your decisions based off data because it’s been ran thousands of times over if you’re getting and using the right data. You set what you data you think is important and gather players that fit that same data. You make decisions off it.

And heart and passion are things you look for before basing your decisions off baseball moves. You’re not going to sign a guy who fits a certain data suggestion but is a locker room cancer. Season is far to long for that

There definitely needs to be some kind of balance there. It’s just a tough gig being a Bengals and a Reds fan.
Reply/Quote
I keep checking the Reds website hoping to read they just traded half the team for actual great players like they did with Houston back in the 70s..
It's kind of like checking Bengals website to see if they finally had Mikey thrown into the river with Ced tied to his feet . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 03:13 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yay, more nepotism.

Yay, let's hate the guy before he gets a chance.

BTW Lou Saban's son says "Hi."
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yay, let's hate the guy before he gets a chance.

BTW Lou Saban's son says "Hi."

Where did I say I hate him again? 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 12:07 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Where did I say I hate him again? 

The claim that he was hired based on nepotism implies that he was not hired for his actual abilities, and adding the word "more" implies that the Reds are continuing with a process that has produced failure.

If I am wrong then please explain why you celebrate "more nepotism".
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The claim that he was hired based on nepotism implies that he was not hired for his actual abilities, and adding the word "more" implies that the Reds are continuing with a process that has produced failure.

If I am wrong then please explain why you celebrate "more nepotism".

Well, what was the hiring process for Price again? Not much of any. I will give them credit for having a much better process this time around, but forgive me for not believing them nailed down their hiring process to the FO beliefs/way they want to do business. 

The more sentiment is line with how they've been doing business since 2005: Wins: 1077 Losses: 1191 Average: .0475%. Does this speak to a flawless process? Below .500 for over a decade would probably be closer to failure than success, even with the 2012 campaign. 

Who knows if they're continuing with the process (I think the remainder of his staff will be telling), but I don't know how someone can say say the way the Reds have been doing business sine Bob C took over is anything less than a failure. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:25 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Well, what was the hiring process for Price again? Not much of any. I will give them credit for having a much better process this time around, but forgive me for not believing them nailed down their hiring process to the FO beliefs/way they want to do business. 

The more sentiment is line with how they've been doing business since 2005: Wins: 1077 Losses: 1191 Average: .0475%. Does this speak to a flawless process? Below .500 for over a decade would probably be closer to failure than success, even with the 2012 campaign. 

Who knows if they're continuing with the process (I think the remainder of his staff will be telling), but I don't know how someone can say say the way the Reds have been doing business sine Bob C took over is anything less than a failure. 

Oh I see.  Even if the hire was not nepotism you would have still hated it because everything the Reds do is wrong.
Reply/Quote