Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player snap counts
6 gameday players didn't get any snap counts on offense or defense. LB Jordan Evans, OL Hakeem Adeniji. DB Tony Brown, and RB
Samaje Perine, OL Fred Johnson, and QB Ryan Finley. I know Evans got in on special teams. Our starting DBs were workhorses. EVery WR played at least 15 snaps

They had 47 players active which is allowed as long as 8 OL are among those activated

There wasn't a lot of inbalance between offensive and defensive snaps. The offense had 68 and defense 74

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:43 PM)pally Wrote: 6 gameday players didn't get any snap counts on offense or defense.  LB Jordan Evans, OL Hakeem Adeniji. DB Tony Brown, and RB
Samaje Perine, OL Fred Johnson, and QB Ryan Finley.  I know Evans got in on special teams.  Our starting DBs were workhorses.  EVery WR played at least 15 snaps

They had 47 players active which is allowed as long as 8 OL are among those activated

There wasn't a lot of inbalance between offensive and defensive snaps.  The offense had 68 and defense 74

There needs to be a long, hard look at offensive line. Especially RT. He just didn't get the job done. They did play better in the second half, credit is due there. Myles Garrett is going to be lined up across from Hart on Thursday, so there needs to be a tight-end chipping or a back left in to block in order to give Burrow time. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: There needs to be a long, hard look at offensive line. Especially RT. He just didn't get the job done. They did play better in the second half, credit is due there. Myles Garrett is going to be lined up across from Hart on Thursday, so there needs to be a tight-end chipping or a back left in to block in order to give Burrow time. 

It got better in the second half.  Wonder what they did differently.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 06:05 PM)McC Wrote: It got better in the second half.  Wonder what they did differently.

Hoping that with at least 1 game on film we can study up on the Browns new scheme. I think we had to wait till halftime to make adjustments for the fact there was nothing to study.
Reply/Quote
Mixon needs to step it up and become a 3 down back. I know Gio is really good at picking up rushers and blocking, but I feel like that has to be largely effort/practice/willingness to get good at that rather than innate talent that you either do or don't have.

59% of the snaps and 3.6 YPC for a guy who wants to be considered an elite back isn't cutting it.

- - - - - - - - -
(Also any time John Ross is the most used WR is a bad time. Lol)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 06:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mixon needs to step it up and become a 3 down back. I know Gio is really good at picking up rushers and blocking, but I feel like that has to be largely effort/practice/willingness to get good at that rather than innate talent that you either do or don't have.

59% of the snaps and 3.6 YPC for a guy who wants to be considered an elite back isn't cutting it.

- - - - - - - - -
(Also any time John Ross is the most used WR is a bad time. Lol)

True. Call it rust. Knowing they don't hit each other full speed in practice and no preseason, he just needs to get it going. That fumble yesterday was huge, but given he never fumbles, I'll forgive it easily. Stuff just happens. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 07:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: True. Call it rust. Knowing they don't hit each other full speed in practice and no preseason, he just needs to get it going. That fumble yesterday was huge, but given he never fumbles, I'll forgive it easily. Stuff just happens. 

Yeah, I am not particularly concerned about the fumble. I am a bit concerned about the low YPC and that he still isn't on the field in 2 minute drives because he's considered an inferior blocker. I like Gio, but a guy can't be elite if when the game is on the line and you need a scoring drive before time runs out, he's standing on the sidelines while his backup is making plays.

Mixon didn't touch the ball in the final 8 minutes of the game. Meanwhile Gio had a 7 yard run and a 10 yard catch on the final drive. Give me a RB who can help me come from behind in the 4th quarter.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 06:05 PM)McC Wrote: It got better in the second half.  Wonder what they did differently.

Nothing. The LA pass rush was just gassed by that point.

Reply/Quote
Interesting to see that Green had less snaps than Ross and Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 06:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mixon needs to step it up and become a 3 down back. I know Gio is really good at picking up rushers and blocking, but I feel like that has to be largely effort/practice/willingness to get good at that rather than innate talent that you either do or don't have.

That is almost exactly the same percentage he played last year.

I think a lot of it has to do with what Taylor saw happen to Gurley when he was with the Rams.  Gurley carried that offense in '17 and '18, and broke down at the end of each season.

'17...Played 82% of snaps, 279 carries and 87 targets.  Only lasted 15 games
'18...Played 86% of snaps, 259 carries and 81 targets.  Only lasted 14 games 

When they gave Gio that big contract I think they were planning on him getting more touches, but he still played 40% of the snaps last year compared to Mixon's 60%.  Who knows, maybe Joe would not be as effective if he had to play every down and wear himself out blocking.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is almost exactly the same percentage he played last year.

I think a lot of it has to do with what Taylor saw happen to Gurley when he was with the Rams.  Gurley carried that offense in '17 and '18, and broke down at the end of each season.

'17...Played 82% of snaps, 279 carries and 87 targets.  Only lasted 15 games
'18...Played 86% of snaps, 259 carries and 81 targets.  Only lasted 14 games 

When they gave Gio that big contract I think they were planning on him getting more touches, but he still played 40% of the snaps last year compared to Mixon's 60%.  Who knows, maybe Joe would not be as effective if he had to play every down and wear himself out blocking.

You mean the two years Gurley led the league in rushing TDs and one year where he led the league in yards from scrimmage? Both times being an All-Pro?

Carrying the Rams to the Super Bowl?

Who would want that?

- - - - - -

Your "breaking down" wasn't a breaking down at all. He was rested because in 2017 they couldn't get a 1st round bye and 2018 because they already got the 1st round bye.

Gurley played in the playoffs in both of those years and put up 44 rushes/261 yards (5.9 YPC).

If getting 5.9 YPC in the playoffs and getting to go to a SB is "breaking down" then it's time to break down Mixon as well.

Reply/Quote