Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Njoku signs 4 year $56.75 mil contract with Browns
Over $14 mil/yr for him seems crazy high to me. Couple of thoughts:

1- I’ve never been impressed with him. He’s not a guy that keeps DC’s up at night and if you are paying a TE that much he better be. He just always looks like “a guy” out there. As much time as I’ve spent worrying about our defense being able to cover TE’s, I’ve never worried about him.
2- Browns are giving out crazy money this offseason. I’m not concerned about them this season or long term with the situation these contracts will put them in. Even with with an increasing cap. Don’t buy into the hype.

What do you think of this move?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 06:01 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Over $14 mil/yr for him seems crazy high to me. Couple of thoughts:

1- I’ve never been impressed with him. He’s not a guy that keeps DC’s up at night and if you are paying a TE that much he better be. He just always looks like “a guy” out there. As much time as I’ve spent worrying about our defense being able to cover TE’s, I’ve never worried about him.
2- Browns are giving out crazy money this offseason. I’m not concerned about them this season or long term with the situation these contracts will put them in. Even with with an increasing cap. Don’t buy into the hype.

I remember that one play where Njoku caught the ball and carried like 4 Bengals into the End Zone one time.

That stood out to me and embarrassed the heck out of me watching our D at the time.

Njoku is talented, but that is WAY OVERPAY!!!
Reply/Quote
I think they're paying for what he can be, rather than what he's been with Baker Mayfield, which can easily come back to bite a team.

Does seem like a huge overpay, but again... Baker Mayfield wasn't exactly making anyone look good. Only 1 guy reached at least 600 receiving yards in 2020 for Cleveland, 0 in 2021. Maybe he's catching passes from Watson in the Caribbean and gelling big time? No clue.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 07:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think they're paying for what he can be, rather than what he's been with Baker Mayfield, which can easily come back to bite a team.

Does seem like a huge overpay, but again... Baker Mayfield wasn't exactly making anyone look good. Only 1 guy reached at least 600 receiving yards in 2020 for Cleveland, 0 in 2021. Maybe he's catching passes from Watson in the Caribbean and gelling big time? No clue.

I only watched Baker when he played us and he was fantastic lol

Never watched many Stains games when he played everyone else and sucked it up...

Weird.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 08:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I only watched Baker when he played us and he was fantastic lol

Never watched many Stains games when he played everyone else and sucked it up...

Weird.

The lil prick was an All Pro when he'd play Cincinnati. He'll legit never make the throw again that beat us late the second time we played em in 2020... Never. Outside of his rookie season, he was blah at best against everyone else.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 08:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I only watched Baker when he played us and he was fantastic lol

Weird.

Yeah, he's just torched the Bengals for God knows what reason. Bengals have probably made his career last this long...

Mayfield vs Bengals (7 games):  65.1% Completion, 250 passing YPG (9.7 YPA), 19 TD/7 INT (2.7 TD per INT), 113.8 QB Rating, 6-1 W/L

Mayfield Career (including Bengals, 60 games): 61.6% Completion, 235 passing YPG (7.3 YPA), 92 TD/56 INT (1.6 TD per INT), 87.8 QB Rating, 29-30 W/L

Again, that second line is including the 7 games where he played like an MVP against the Bengals. Legit if it weren't for the 7 Bengals games boosting his career numbers, he would have been a bust and not had his 5th year option even picked up. He'd be a backup for Derek Carr or somebody right now on a 2yr/$6m contract.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 08:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, he's just torched the Bengals for God knows what reason. Bengals have probably made his career last this long...

Mayfield vs Bengals (7 games):  65.1% Completion, 250 passing YPG (9.7 YPA), 19 TD/7 INT (2.7 TD per INT), 113.8 QB Rating, 6-1 W/L

Mayfield Career (including Bengals, 60 games): 61.6% Completion, 235 passing YPG (7.3 YPA), 92 TD/56 INT (1.6 TD per INT), 87.8 QB Rating, 29-30 W/L

Again, that second line is including the 7 games where he played like an MVP against the Bengals. Legit if it weren't for the 7 Bengals games boosting his career numbers, he would have been a bust and not had his 5th year option even picked up. He'd be a backup for Derek Carr or somebody right now on a 2yr/$6m contract.

Well the bengals can’t beat backup QB’s for some reason. Maybe that’s why he’s so good against us lol
Reply/Quote
Nutty amount of money for a player of Njoku's production and potential.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely terrible deal for the Browns. You don’t pay that kind of money for a TE unless it’s a Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, Waller, or Pitts type player. Njoku is good, but he ain’t that.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 08:32 PM)jason Wrote: The lil prick was an All Pro when he'd play Cincinnati. He'll legit never make the throw again that beat us late the second time we played em in 2020... Never.  Outside of his rookie season, he was blah at best against everyone else.

Still remember that bomb he threw against us where if he held onto the ball like 1 millionth of a second longer BJ Hill
would of tipped the ball. Instead he throws at the perfect time a dime to a covered Receiver in the middle of the field 
for that long TD in the first game we played them last season.

Then he goes and sucks the next week against some other team. Just strange.

Maybe the Stains getting Watson might actually be a blessing in disguise for us who knows.

Chubb is really the only player in the Division that scares me though. Legit stud RB.

(05-27-2022, 08:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, he's just torched the Bengals for God knows what reason. Bengals have probably made his career last this long...

Wild, thanks for the stats TLL. Thought he played like an MVP against us. Wasn't even terrible Defense most of the time.

He could just thread the ball into tight coverage against our Secondary.

Then Chubb would break free on some big damn run carrying Defenders. The way we played against Chubb was honestly 
what made me mad. Need to slow this guy down. Njoku doesn't scare me at all honestly, Stains make a dumb move yet 
again that will cost them.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 06:01 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Over $14 mil/yr for him seems crazy high to me. Couple of thoughts:

I have no idea where they're getting all this money ? Cooking the books ?
Reply/Quote

That's always baffled me ? Joe Montana vs Bengals. Ryan Leaf vs. everyone else.
Reply/Quote
That is a ridiculous amount of money for someone who isn’t even the best tight end in the AFCN let alone the NFL

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

So without the Bengals games he'd have 61,1% completions, 233 YPG and a QB rating of 84,3. if I calculated correctly, which is far from a given.

2yr/6m sounds a little low.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 07:43 AM)hollodero Wrote: So without the Bengals games he'd have 61,1% completions, 233 YPG and a QB rating of 84,3. if I calculated correctly, which is far from a given.

2yr/6m sounds a little low.

That's really close to what I came up with, yea.

It didn't change his numbers as much as I thought it would (his career QB Rating is 87.8, without the Bengals it only drops about 3.5 points). I think the reason is he also threw 7 interceptions against us in 7 games, plus he had fewer attempts against us than in his career (32 attempts/game career, 26.5 attempts/game vs us) so taking those interceptions out of his numbers kind of buffered losing the touchdowns and yards he had against us.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 04:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still remember that bomb he threw against us where if he held onto the ball like 1 millionth of a second longer BJ Hill
would of tipped the ball. Instead he throws at the perfect time a dime to a covered Receiver in the middle of the field 
for that long TD in the first game we played them last season.

Then he goes and sucks the next week against some other team. Just strange.

Maybe the Stains getting Watson might actually be a blessing in disguise for us who knows.

Chubb is really the only player in the Division that scares me though. Legit stud RB.

Wild, thanks for the stats TLL. Thought he played like an MVP against us. Wasn't even terrible Defense most of the time.

He could just thread the ball into tight coverage against our Secondary.

Then Chubb would break free on some big damn run carrying Defenders. The way we played against Chubb was honestly 
what made me mad. Need to slow this guy down. Njoku doesn't scare me at all honestly, Stains make a dumb move yet 
again that will cost them.
no worries...we have Dax and the "TE Killer" FLowers to nuetralize anything Njoku may do....
Browns are really slinging the $ around and makes me wonder how sustainable that is?? Did they give him a boatload of guaranteed $  like they did with  Watson?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 11:26 AM)kalibengal Wrote: no worries...we have Dax and the "TE Killer" FLowers to nuetralize anything Njoku may do....
Browns are really slinging the $ around and makes me wonder how sustainable that is?? Did they give him a boatload of guaranteed $  like they did with  Watson?

Don’t forget the 5 years $100 mil with $70 mil guaranteed to Denzel Ward. At least he’s proven to be a very good CB though unlike Njoku.

That’s $80 mil/yr on average just on Watson/Ward/Njoku

Njoku got $28 mil guaranteed which is 50% of the contract
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 11:26 AM)kalibengal Wrote: no worries...we have Dax and the "TE Killer" FLowers to nuetralize anything Njoku may do....

I wouldn't say Flowers is a TE killer, he makes it hard on them and gets burnt a lot just cause of how good the best TE's 
are now a days. Dax could actually be a TE killer and Tycen Anderson could learn behind Flowers and be a problem for TE's.

LF40 answered you question Kali.

(05-29-2022, 03:24 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Don’t forget the 5 years $100 mil with $70 mil guaranteed to Denzel Ward. At least he’s proven to be a very good CB though unlike Njoku.

That’s $80 mil/yr on average just on Watson/Ward/Njoku

Njoku got $28 mil guaranteed which is 50% of the contract

Denzel Ward is a damn good Corner, that was a smart move in paying THAT man.

When is Nick Chubb up for a contract is my question?

That guy should cost a ton.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 05:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have no idea where they're getting all this money ? Cooking the books ?

Watson is only $10m against the cap this year.
Ward is only $5m against the cap this year.
Clowney is only $3.5m against the cap this year.

Browns are clearly planning their contracts around the reality of the cap rising $20m+/yr with all the new huge TV money starting in 2023.

Would not be surprised if Njoku also has a low 2022 cap hit when the numbers come out, even though they have $34m in cap space right now even with Mayfield still being nearly $19m on their cap.

Reply/Quote
Its mostly fake money coupled with a healthy "signing bonus":

We’ve gotten a look at the details of the four-year contract. Here’s the full breakdown:

1. Signing bonus: $11.465 million.

2. 2022 base salary: $1.035 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2023 base salary: $4.5 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2023 option bonus: $8 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed in March 2023.

5. 2024 base salary: $13 million, $3 million of which is guaranteed at signing. The remainder becomes fully guaranteed in March 2023.

6. 2024 per-game roster bonuses: Up to $1.5 million.

7. 2025 base salary: $14.25 million.

8. 2025 per-game roster bonuses: Up to $1.5 million.

The deal also has annual incentives of $250,000 for being named a first- or second-team All-Pro or $500,000 for being named a first- or second-team All-Pro and for the Browns making it to the playoffs.

As a practical matter, it’s a two-year, $25 million deal. The Browns have a team-held option for each of the final two years. He’d have $3 million in guaranteed pay for 2024, if the Browns move on after 2023.

It’s more than he’d make under two years of the franchise tag ($23.98 million), and it guarantees $17 million of it right away. To avoid the extra $11 millions in guarantees, the Browns would have to release Njoku after only one season.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote