Poll: How are you feeling about the Bengals FA at this point?
This poll is closed.
Feeling Good
80.00%
28 80.00%
Feeling Meh
5.71%
2 5.71%
Feeling Sick
0%
0 0%
Too soon
14.29%
5 14.29%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Day 2 of FA - How is everyone feeling?
(03-17-2023, 10:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: A good amount of these guys are bad.

Adeniji - Straight trash, homie. We've seen enough over his 3 years that I would be happy if he doesn't make the team
Asiasi - Why would people be excited about this guy? He has 4 receptions in 3 years. He's basically nothing more than a TE3
Smith - Couldn't get on the field over Adeniji...no confidence there
Wilson - Basically just a ST guy. Been in the league 6 years and shown basically nothing on defense
Ford - Performed about as poorly as Adeniji in his career. Was not a good pass blocker whatsoever. You're more just hoping that if he sticks, he was just in a bad scheme/position and Pollack will be able to get more out of him. But he's not coming in with proven solid-or-better performance.

So it's not surprising that some fans are not excited about the depth the current team has.
That lack of depth is why the Bengals right side OL got steamrolled in the playoffs.

These guys are not bad they are depth pieces. No team has a solid starter at every backup position on the team. Just not feasible. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:21 AM)OSUfan Wrote: These guys are not bad they are depth pieces. No team has a solid starter at every backup position on the team. Just not feasible. 

They are bad depth.

You want your depth to be able to come in and at least not be a liability/disappear whenever they need to be in.

If all you care about is your starters, you'll end up falling short quite a lot of seasons if injuries occur because the depth is trash.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They are bad depth.

You want your depth to be able to come in and at least not be a liability/disappear whenever they need to be in.

If all you care about is your starters, you'll end up falling short quite a lot of seasons if injuries occur because the depth is trash.

Well the unfortunate business aspect is that high end depth costs money and like it or not there is only so much of that to go around. So you can pay for lower end starting talent leaving more cap space or higher end backup depth or you can pay more for higher end starting talent which then requires you to pay for lower end depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They are bad depth.

Give me an example of a team that has quality depth

Especially on the OL....  I think your perception of quality depth on the NFL may be a bit off.
Reply/Quote
I'm feeling great. Last week my hip and back really hurt and I had to keep working through it. Now work is slowing down a bit and neither really hurt too much AND I should be getting paid today or tomorrow for the job I've been working on for the past month plus.. 
Bengals? Ehhh.. We've been through FAR worse than any of this. Remember when our star QB just quit and we had to rely on Andy Dalton for what seemed like 50 years?  This is like finding a winning scratch off ticket right under your flat tire when you're completely flat broke compared to those days..  ThumbsUp And who knows? Good used tires are probably on sale somewhere..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:39 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Give me an example of a team that has quality depth

Especially on the OL....  I think your perception of quality depth on the NFL may be a bit off.

I'm not talking about what teams actually have, I'm talking about what to strive for.
Of course no team has perfect depth, and a lot of success depends on which key starters get injured and the quality of the replacements end up being.

My point was we shouldn't be sitting here and acting like OT, TE, and safety are set because the Bengals have Adeniji, Ford, Smith, Asiasi, Wilson, and Anderson.
If you have room to upgrade still after upgrading your starters to your liking, you should look to improve the depth.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Feeling better but our secondary is still a little too sus.
Reply/Quote
I'm feeling fantastic, we signed Brown to improve the OL. The NFL strives for parity and salary constraints for roster building doesn't allow the Bengals to sign Brown while keeping both Bates and Bell with recognition that Burrow, Higgins, Chase, and other players have contract extensions forthcoming.

A good team is going to lose good players in FA and that happened to the Bengals; however, Duke and Zac still went out and signed Brown so I'm happy.
Reply/Quote
I voted "meh" because while I was pleasantly surprised by the Brown signing, I'm still waiting to see what's done at SAF, TE, CB, and RB.
On top of that, with Williams requesting trade, the Bengals might be searching for a RT still.

These positions I think could be relatively easy to address in the draft, and it's expected at least one SAF will be added here in the next day or two so that SAF isn't a need, but you don't want to have to go into the draft with too many needs.
As it leans right now, I'd be looking at TE in Rd 1 or 2 to start, probably a RB in the middle rounds, one OL thrown into the mix, a CB probably on Day 2 or early Day 3. A little more help in the pass rush would be nice, as would a depth WR to prep for impending Boyd departure after this year. A second TE might be needed on Day 3 to serve as TE2/3 if they only go into the draft with Asiasi.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote