Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dayton Flyer Basketball
Flyers are 16-2 after Jan 17th 2020. Nice come from behind win in overtime last night at St Louis with good record laying for Dayton in a sell out crowd of white out. That the game was on ESPN 2 and National TV and Dayton went in ranked #16 in Nation had St Louis FIRED UP. ESPN announcers were thinking it a St Louis win at Halftime, so Dayton comeback win that much more fun.

Dayton has blown out most wins. The 2 losses were to Kansas and Colorado, both in overtime. Of teams like Michigan State in Maui Tournament it was Dayton in the Championship after 2 solid wins taking Kansas into overtime. So this is one of best Dayton teams ever. They have a big guy that will be in the NBA, but rest of team is solid. They can take it to the hoop or pound the 3's and they are back to playing UD Defense that Bob Knight use to like about Dayton.

Dayton will get 20 wins easy, so maybe 25 wins in regular season. They will be tough in the A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn. This could be another year Dayton makes a good run in NCAA like 1967, 1974, 1984, 2016. This Obi Toppin is pretty good and ESPN Announcers are saying NBA Starter. 6'9" and 220 lbs can dunk big time but can really hit the 3's. Like LeBron and other NBA big guys, the 6'9" Obi has an outside game also and can pound down 3's, or go in and get physical with the dunks.

So Kentucky Fans on here just expect to be good every year. I know Dayton will have it's down years, but every now and then Dayton is loaded and THIS is one of those years. At 16-2, The Flyers are Flying. The 2 losses in overtime to Colorado and Kansas, they gave Kansas all they could handle.

I root for so many local teams like Bengals, Reds, Dayton Flyers. Excuse me if I get excited when one of these teams actually is winning. ( my hopes are high on 2020 Reds and Bengals getting it together }.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Dayton is now # 7 in Nation and 19 wins and 2 losses. The 2 losses in overtime to Kansas and Colorado. They go for 20th win Saturday Feb 1st at Home is UD ARENA. Being # 7 in Nation they are learning what it is like to NOT be the underdogs, as teams fans now desire to upset the # 7 team in Nation.

February brings hard games and then A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn and then NCAA Tourney of all tough teams and upsets. Still, I'm hoping Dayton gets # 20 Saturday, goes on to have best record in A-10, wins A-10 tourney and goes into NCAA Tourney with around 30 wins and still ranked in Top 10 for a Top Seed, something Dayton never gets. I don't look for Dayton as a #1 seed, but #2 seed or #3 seed would be higher than Dayton ever seeded. They would be no Cinderella Team as they were in 1967, 1984, 2014 runs deep into tourney, not with a high seed spot.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
March Madness is only a few months away. We usually have some teams from the area in the tourney. Will definitely pulling for UD.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 08:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: March Madness is only a few months away. We usually have some teams from the area in the tourney. Will definitely pulling for UD.

I like your waiter thing.  
 ME: I'ld like it rare
Waiter : How Rare
Me :  As Rare as Bengal Play-Off Wins
Waiter :  WOW, That's very Rare. 
ADD ON
Then the waiter drops the soup on my lap
ME : Hey waiter, there's a soup in my fly. 
WAITER : Let me get you another bowl of soup
Me : No thanks, I don't think my pants can hold another bowl of soup. 

Back to Hoops.   I just paid February Rent so in 28 or 29 days I pay March.  March Madness is near.  I count winning regular season and conference Tourney.  Only one team will get the NCAA Champ Banner to hang in arena.  Those Season Conference Champ and Conference Tourney Champ banners are nice to hang in arenas also.  First up for Dayton is winning the A-10 Season banner.  Then in March, the Brooklyn A-10 Tourney banner.  Then how far they go in NCAA banner.  

Just a year or two ago I was rooting for Wright State in NCAA.   They had that player related to an ex Red, Bellinger.   Yes, I root for the Home Teams in NCAA also. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don't follow basketball, but used to be a big UD fan as a kid back when Lou Al was tromping over them. Still, I'd love to see Dayton win it all just once. I might even fall back in love with my home town if for just a moment. I doubt I'll ever want to live in Dayton again, but stranger things happen. If I ever do move back to Dayton it'll be because I'm too old to care for myself and one of my kids takes over and moves back themselves with me in tow. Other than that happening I'll remain an ex Daytonian the rest of my life. I still want em to win it all though.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Yes, 1967 Dayton in NCAA Championship. They had beat North Carolina in Final 4. They could not beat John Wooden UCLA of Lew Alcindor Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Well, who could ? NBA couldn't even stop Jabbar. Dayton went up against arguably the best NCAA team ever that night.

I don't ever expect Dayton to win it all. Too many big schools like Kentucky. This is not negative, but just realistic. Some say Dayton winning the NIT in it's day was as big as winning NCAA. If so, Dayton will always have that when they won NIT back in 1961-62 season. Dayton does have 3 NIT Championships. They have been Sweet 16 team 7 times, Elite 8 three times, Final 4 one time, Championship Game one time in loss to mighty UCLA team dynasty that nobody could beat. Winning it all is a lot for a Dayton Fan to expect.

I was 7 to 10 years old on Stonemill Road when we moved into Great Grandfathers house who died in 1962. So from 1962 to 1965 my bedroom window looked out at UD football field. Walking to school past Basketball UD Field House. Those were on campus back before 1970. So I was a kid playing near or on the campus. So of course I became a UD Fan, the campus was our neighborhood. A bunch of us Little Rascals in the alley saw a Football Homecoming Float in students back yard. We tied a rope to it and took it for a ride up and down the alley, until the College Guys & Girls caught us. The College Guys & Girls were good people in early 60's. Also a Black male speech therapist at UD taught me a White kid how to say the letter R, not W. That he did this in 1965 as Dr King and Blacks still marching for Voting Rights is never lost on me. He helped other people stop making fun of how I talked as a kid, and I am greatly forever in his debt. That this Black teacher helped me a white kid overcome those who were prejudice against me. I owe him forever.

So as much of a UD Fan as I grew up, I can't demand that this small school must WIN IT ALL. I've learned, just be happy for the good years. Also, a professor in a tavern in 1980's told me how good Kevin Conrad was in math classes. See, I had only seen how good a player he was. We forget some of these guys are Students First and basketball is just a hobby. Most of Dayton's players went to college to get an education, not to go to NBA. So this Conrad being great in College Math per the Professor IS WINNING IT ALL. Even in bad years to respect the players because few Dayton players are thinking NBA, they are STUDENT athletes, the key word being STUDENTS. Basketball will never be the Life's Career of 99 % of UD Players.

I came on here to say 21-2 Dayton is in TOP 10 and #1 in A-10. They play #2 in A-10 Rhode Island tonight February 11th on CBSSN. Most people with Direct TV or Spectrum and such get this. In my Ohio area 322 on Spectrum and 221 on Direct TV at 7:30 PM. #1 vs #2 is a Big Game. A Dayton win going to 22-2 would be HUGE. In my life, I've never seen UD with such a record and in TOP 10.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
On 2-15-2020, Dayton is 23-2 and probably in Top 5 in Nation. They were # 6.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 06:05 PM)kevin Wrote: On 2-15-2020, Dayton is 23-2 and probably in Top 5 in Nation.   They were # 6.

No probably about it. #5 Louisville lost today for the second time this week. Dayton will be #5 on Monday.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
One of my very first memories of watching sports on TV was Dayton losing to UCLA in TRIPLE overtime in the 1974 NCAA tournament. I was 11 years old. Johnny Davis was just a freshman that year. The big star I remember from that game was Mike Sylvester hitting a bunch of clutch hook shots. It was a crazy back and forth game with both teams scoring over 100 points.
Reply/Quote
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-flyers-lauded-for-traveling-fan-base/LRV7iBIMSODbMFEOSQdGWN/

A feature on NCAA.com on Wednesday ranked the Dayton Flyers atop a list of the best traveling fan bases.

“They’re called the Flyers for a reason,” a narrator says on the video. “University of Dayton basketball fans will travel far and wide to support their team. Despite being a mid-major program with just over 8,000 undergrads, Dayton fans are known for their large turnouts at holiday invitationals, easily outnumbering every other participating fan base.”
Reply/Quote
Dayton Flyers are now 23-2 and in Top 5 in nation. The 2 losses were in overtime to Kansas and Colorado. They almost won Maui Tourney beating Georgia & Virginia Tech and in Championship taking Kansas to overtime.

Dayton has won 14 in a row and 12-0 against the A-10.

The ESPN announcers raved about Dayton in The Maui. Star player Obi ESPN says will be starting in NBA. Other good players make this a deep team and well coached. They can hit the 3's, take it inside, dunk, play good defense. There best attribute is their passing and ball movement, hitting the open man, beating the press. Also that players step up in crunch time and make the big plays.

There are still 6 regular season games left and the A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn. Then to what should be a high seed in the NCAA Tourney if Dayton remains in Top 10 in nation.

I have been posting about Dayton in Other Sports on here, but that is now being hammered by a love for Brand X semi-pro football.

So LETS GO FLYERS. Win the A-10 season, Win the A-10 Tourney, Win over 30 games, Go into NCAA as a favorite top seed, not a Cinderella surprise underdog.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Dayton goes for win #25 today ranked #5 still in nation.
Wright State is also in 1st place in The Horizan League.
Ohio State ranked 25th in nation
All playing today on Saturday
All with chances to go to NCAA Tourney.
Some good ball being played in Dayton and Columbus areas.
25-2 would be a nice record for Dayton
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Dayton should move up to #4 now as #4 San Diego St. just lost their first game to 14-14 UNLV!

EDIT: Make that possibly #3 as #2 Gonzaga has just lost.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Dayton is now 26-2 and #4 in nation. I tried to post some of this in NCAA section, but I see where it was all moved back to where people post about X semi pro football every day. I guess it doesn't matter since NCAA section is devoted to Cincinnati Bearcat basketball and of course Kentucky basketball. The fact remains that Dayton is 26-2 and # 4 in the nation. Hats off to Wright State ahead in their conference also.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Depending on who you believe, if anyone at all Dayton is ranked #3 in the coaches poll. At least they're not gonna lose to Lew Alcindor again any time soon. Anyone remember than infamous name?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 11:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: Depending on who you believe, if anyone at all Dayton is ranked #3 in the coaches poll. At least they're not gonna lose to Lew Alcindor again any time soon. Anyone remember than infamous name?

When Lew was selecting colleges in high school in 1965, he had narrowed his choices to two schools: UCLA and UD. He chose UCLA, as we know. two years later (1967, he spent 1966 on UCLA's freshman team), the two teams played for the NCAA championship and UCLA won. Lew would go on to win two more championships with Wooden and the crew.

I always wondered what could have been...
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Dayton now 27-2 and have won A-10 Season.

Next up is playing a tough road game at Rhode Island one of the better A-10 teams. Dayton could still go unbeaten in A-10 regular season.

Then after that is the last home game to end regular season. Dayton has a chance to go unbeaten at UD Arena for local fans.

A Big week ahead for UD trying to finish out regular season and make it a Great Finish.

I think they win at UD Arena, but at Rhode Island will be a hard win with the fans fired up to knock off top ranked Dayton.

After all that comes A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn NY and you never know who will get hot in Tourney Games. Then the tough NCAA Tourney. Before all that, there is the regular season to finish.

Dayton is close to 30 wins and I'm not sure UD has ever had 30 wins. If so, not very many.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Big Win for UD going to 20 win Rhode Island and winning 84-57. UD won all their road games this season. A win Saturday would mean they won all their home games. UD is 28-2 and #3 in nation. Their 2 losses on neutral sites in tourneys in overtime to Kansas and Colorado. UD took Kansas into overtime. 28-2 and no losses in regulation. Undefeated in A-10. GO UD. Win Saturday for 29-2 on season and perfect record in A-10 and 20 wins in a row. Neither of the 2 losses anything to be ashamed of, especially beating Georgia and Virginia Tech to make it to Maui Championship Game and take Kansas into overtime, which few teams could do. The talk of Obi Toppin NCAA Player Of Year and Coach Grant NCAA Coach Of The Year is worth considering.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 04:15 AM)kevin Wrote: Big Win for UD going to 20 win Rhode Island and winning 84-57.   UD won all their road games this season. A win Saturday would mean they won all their home games.  UD is 28-2 and #3 in nation.  Their 2 losses on neutral sites in tourneys in overtime to Kansas and Colorado.  UD took Kansas into overtime.  28-2 and no losses in regulation.  Undefeated in A-10.  GO UD.  Win Saturday for 29-2 on season and perfect record in A-10 and 20 wins in a row.  Neither of the 2 losses anything to be ashamed of, especially beating Georgia and Virginia Tech to make it to Maui Championship Game and take Kansas into overtime, which few teams could do.   The talk of Obi Toppin NCAA Player Of Year and Coach Grant NCAA Coach Of The Year is worth considering.

It's been an incredible ride so far this year, and it ain't over!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Rooting for these guys in the tournament, haven't seen a game of theirs yet but damn that one dude can dunk.
Reply/Quote