Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dayton Flyer Basketball
(03-05-2020, 11:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rooting for these guys in the tournament, haven't seen a game of theirs yet but damn that one dude can dunk.

Having seen them many times this year, some info.  Yes they have Obi Toppin. But they have Crutcher who is Clutcher. Leonard and Mikesell and a loaded team of talent.  Coach Grant played under Don Donoher and has the team playing good D, running plays, lots of free throw practices, great passes.  Very great passing team.  The type of team that might beat them in NCAA is taller players that box out and get all the rebounds.  Dayton is good at the 3's, but a team that keeps you out of the paint and gets all the rebounds is hard to beat.  However Dayton passes the ball great, so they might still work the ball inside to open men anyway.  Plus they hit their free throws.  Dayton is well coached and has not lost in regulation all season and 28-2.  So they stay cool under pressure and showed they can take even a Kansas into overtime. They are scrappy as in NO QUIT.  ....Yes they have the future NBA guy who dunks and hits 3's also.  However I have seen games where teams have covered him, and other UD players like Crutcher got the job done to this 28-2 record.  I still don't know if Mikesell is related to Mikesell Potato Chips, Dayton company of many decades and they are great Potato Chips. I do know they can really pass the ball, like Gene Hackman Hoosiers movie. It's not street ball or alley ball, they run plays with great passing until they hit the open man. They play a D that Don Donoher & Bobby Knight use to love about Dayton and John Wooden respected. Coach Grant brings THAT back to UD, but he adds his NBA and other coaching experience and has many top assistant coaches. Dayton is a Well Coached Team. 28-2, it shows.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Latest News. Dayton won their final regular season game. 29-2 is best record in UD History. No Home losses. No Road Losses. No Atlantic 10 losses, one of few to to do that. Their 2 losses in Tourney Championships on neutral sites of Maui and Chicago taking Kansas and Colorado into Overtime. So no regulation time losses. 29-2 and #3 in nation unless they move to #2. Obi Toppin a top candidate for College MVP and Coach Grant a top candidate for College Coach of The Year. Since Dayton is NOT Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, but a smaller college off Brown St and Stewart St in Dayton, but #3 in Nation, Coach of The Year Honors are in order.

Next up. This week the A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn. It will be rough. There are some very good teams. I agree with CBS announcers who said some TOP 5 Conferences are getting way too many bad record teams into NCAA, and other Conferences such as A-10 are not getting enough good record teams in. St Louis, Richmond, Rhode Island and some others are very good teams. Dayton still has their work cut out in Brooklyn. These teams could beat many Top 5 Conference Teams or at least give them a game right to final seconds. NCAA better beware of some of these other A-10 teams that make NCAA Tourney. A good amount of 20 Win teams of good Coaches, good Fans, good Teams. The A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn will be some darn good Basketball in New York, New York. Dayton has their work cut out trying to remain unbeaten in the A-10 against such good teams meeting in Brooklyn. It is hard to beat a team 3 times in one season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 09:45 AM)kevin Wrote: Having seen them many times this year, some info.  Yes they have Obi Toppin. But they have Crutcher who is Clutcher. Leonard and Mikesell and a loaded team of talent.  Coach Grant played under Don Donoher and has the team playing good D, running plays, lots of free throw practices, great passes.  Very great passing team.  The type of team that might beat them in NCAA is taller players that box out and get all the rebounds.  Dayton is good at the 3's, but a team that keeps you out of the paint and gets all the rebounds is hard to beat.  However Dayton passes the ball great, so they might still work the ball inside to open men anyway.  Plus they hit their free throws.  Dayton is well coached and has not lost in regulation all season and 28-2.  So they stay cool under pressure and showed they can take even a Kansas into overtime. They are scrappy as in NO QUIT.  ....Yes they have the future NBA guy who dunks and hits 3's also.  However I have seen games where teams have covered him, and other UD players like Crutcher got the job done to this 28-2 record.  I still don't know if Mikesell is related to Mikesell Potato Chips, Dayton company of many decades and they are great Potato Chips. I do know they can really pass the ball, like Gene Hackman Hoosiers movie.  It's not street ball or alley ball,  they run plays with great passing until they hit the open man. They play a D that Don Donoher & Bobby Knight use to love about Dayton and John Wooden respected.  Coach Grant brings THAT back to UD, but he adds his NBA and other coaching experience and has many top assistant coaches.  Dayton is a Well Coached Team. 28-2, it shows.

Yeah, Toppin. That guy is exciting, good to know they play good Defense and they are a great passing team.

Have to do both these things well to win in the tournament. That was what I was going to ask about Toppin, if he could shoot.

Impressive that he can shoot 3's as well. Will be watching these guys closely as well as the Bearcats if they get in.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Toppin. That guy is exciting, good to know they play good Defense and they are a great passing team.

Have to do both these things well to win in the tournament. That was what I was going to ask about Toppin, if he could shoot.

Impressive that he can shoot 3's as well. Will be watching these guys closely as well as the Bearcats if they get in.

The sad thing for Dayton is that Toppin will never be a Junior or a Senior.  In a few months he will be drafted as one of the top picks in the NBA draft. ...Still, it was great to have a LeBron James type with the size to play inside and the ability to play outside.  Toppin could win every slam dunk contest in the NBA in future.  He has the size & muscle to get rebounds. He is NBA fast.  He makes great passes.  He hits the 3's.  He is great on free throws. ...So Dayton who gets few NBA players had their best one ever.   Toppin, we hardly knew ye, as he goes quickly into NBA, but it was a great show while it lasted.  Some NBA team is getting a LeBron James type in size and ability this summer. Whoever drafts early.  

Still, winning the NCAA may not be realistic.  Only one team can win the NCAA.  Dayton will have it's work cut out to win the A-10.  St.Louis, Richmond, Rhode Island are very good teams also and a few others. There are going to be 3 NCAA teams in the A-10 Tourney and per ESPN & CBS announcers there should be more than 3, because the A-10 is loaded with talent this year. 

If Dayton wins the A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn, THAT would be a nice banner to hang in UD Arena.   I would like them to go deep into the NCAA, but the NCAA is full of upsets.  The chances of winning the Lottery are better than picking a perfect bracket.  All the teams are good, so many upsets.  Yes Dayton is good, but so will be 64 other teams. Sweet 16 would be nice.  Dayton not that long ago in NCAA beat Ohio State, Syracuse, Stanford before losing.   Even Patrick Ewing and Georgetown lost.  When was the last time a Cincinnati team or Ohio State won it all ?   To win the NCAA is hard.....Winning the A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn this weekend will be hard.  March Madness is Hard. Many good teams.  The NIT is good again because too many good teams get shafted by the NCAA of auto bids and taking bad records just because in a Top 5 Conference.  The NIT will have great teams. some better than in NCAA.  The NIT is hard to win for good teams.  The NIT is very good again.  When you see teams win NIT with over 25 wins, you know the NCAA screwed up....MARCH MADNESS. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 04:55 PM)kevin Wrote: The sad thing for Dayton is that Toppin will never be a Junior or a Senior.  In a few months he will be drafted as one of the top picks in the NBA draft. ...Still, it was great to have a LeBron James type with the size to play inside and the ability to play outside.  Toppin could win every slam dunk contest in the NBA in future.  He has the size & muscle to get rebounds. He is NBA fast.  He makes great passes.  He hits the 3's.  He is great on free throws. ...So Dayton who gets few NBA players had their best one ever.   Toppin, we hardly knew ye, as he goes quickly into NBA, but it was a great show while it lasted.  Some NBA team is getting a LeBron James type in size and ability this summer. Whoever drafts early.  

Still, winning the NCAA may not be realistic.  Only one team can win the NCAA.  Dayton will have it's work cut out to win the A-10.  St.Louis, Richmond, Rhode Island are very good teams also and a few others. There are going to be 3 NCAA teams in the A-10 Tourney and per ESPN & CBS announcers there should be more than 3, because the A-10 is loaded with talent this year. 

If Dayton wins the A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn, THAT would be a nice banner to hang in UD Arena.   I would like them to go deep into the NCAA, but the NCAA is full of upsets.  The chances of winning the Lottery are better than picking a perfect bracket.  All the teams are good, so many upsets.  Yes Dayton is good, but so will be 64 other teams. Sweet 16 would be nice.  Dayton not that long ago in NCAA beat Ohio State, Syracuse, Stanford before losing.   Even Patrick Ewing and Georgetown lost.  When was the last time a Cincinnati team or Ohio State won it all ?   To win the NCAA is hard.....Winning the A-10 Tourney in Brooklyn this weekend will be hard.  March Madness is Hard. Many good teams.  The NIT is good again because too many good teams get shafted by the NCAA of auto bids and taking bad records just because in a Top 5 Conference.  The NIT will have great teams. some better than in NCAA.  The NIT is hard to win for good teams.  The NIT is very good again.  When you see teams win NIT with over 25 wins, you know the NCAA screwed up....MARCH MADNESS. 

That sure would be cool if Toppin became that good. I don't like Lebron, never have, he is a great player, I just don't like his
personality. Would like to see someone come in and topple him, why not Toppin lol

I love March Madness, any team can win it all unlike in pro sports and even college football. Always rooting for the underdog
and love watching basketball in the spring. Great time of year. 
Reply/Quote
and so the best regular season in Dayton Flyer History ends as A-10 Tourney cancelled and as NCAA cancelled. 29-2 record. The 2 losses in Tourney Championships in Overtime. In Chicago Dayton taking Colorado into Overtime. In Maui Dayton taking Kansas into Overtime. No losses in Regulation. No losses in scheduled road games on other teams home court. No losses at home in UD Arena. Dayton won every Atlantic 10 game.

So with no A-10 Tourney the season ends with Dayton #1 in the Atlantic 10

With no NCAA Tourney the season ends with Dayton either #3 in Nation of #2 in Nation, either is pretty good.

This is not a complaint by any means, nor should it be. The USA & The World are faced with a problem much bigger than basketball. I think back on Great Grandparents, Grandparents, Parents who lived through The Great Depression going into World War II, and add in Dust Bowl and small pox quarantines of Families and Houses. Our ancestors were tough, and we must reach down into our guts and find that same toughness in the weeks, months and year of 2020 ahead . The toughness that sports is suppose to teach us in other aspects of life. So this is not a complaint. This is just an ending to many posts this season about THE DAYTON FLYERS great season now coming to an end. A Salute to their Great Season.

GO UD, LET'S GO UD. LET'S GO FLYERS......THANKS FOR THE GREAT SEASON.

With a name Kelly and a UD Fan, I will quote President Kennedy of when I was in 2nd & 3rd grade of 1962 & 1963, our house next to UD, my school Holy Angels next to UD. A quote that is just as true today in the days ahead.

President Kennedy - " And so my fellow Americans : Ask not what your Country can do for You - Ask what You can do for your Country. My fellow citizens of the World : Ask not what America will do for You, but what together We can do for the Freedom of Man. Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the World. Ask of Us here the Same High standards of Strength and Sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward. With History the final judge of Our deeds. Let US Go FORTH, Leading the Land WE Love. Asking GODS Blessing, and GODS help, but knowing that Here On Earth, GODS WORK, Must Truly Be OUR Own. "

and President Franklin Roosevelt in The Great Depression and World War II, who said, " WE have nothing to Fear, but Fear itself "

" So Let US Go Forth ".....No NCAA Tourney, OK, but we have bigger problems than that. Let US find the Strength OUR elders had.

Dayton had a Great Season. They deserved one last post by me.....Let us go forward.....Or as Jimmy Cagney says as George M Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy when World War I breaks out, " And here I was worried about a Broadway Show ".
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
One last post. CBS Sports is showing 2019 NCAA. Perhaps the best game to show is from this year for many who didn't see it. The ESPN coverage of the Maui Championship Game THIS SEASON between #1 Kansas and #3 Dayton. It went into Overtime. THAT would be a game to show people.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Heartbreaking for them. Legit Final Four team.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote