Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dayton Flyers Hoops No Longer On TV For Me
I go back to last years of Tom Blackburn as a kid. Then all of Don Donoher years. They came on WHIO Channel 7 TV CBS in Dayton Ohio. My Dad watched them, so did all the family. As a kid, the Royals were never on TV and might as well have been in China. The UD Flyers were on TV. That was our TV basketball in Dayton, Oakwood, Kettering, Miamisburg, Huber Heights. I thought the TV coverage became great in early 1980s with color broadcast and a good team of Chapman, Toney, They went NCAA a lot and went deep to Final 8. Don Donoher was a great coach per Bobby Knight and John Wooden and he made some deep NCAA runs at National Championship as a Cinderella Team against the Bigger School Powers. The Flyers on TV were good.

Now in 2020 season, The Dayton Flyers are on TV as kind of a Pay Per View deal. If your cable or satellite offers it, you can pay much extra for channel they show some Dayton games on. My answer is NO. I'm not going Pay Per View on the UD Flyers.

So the days of UD Flyers on TV are OVER. Really it went down hill when they left WHIO 7 and went to Fox Ohio and now to a weird Pay Per View some companies don't even offer. The days of Dayton playing Marquette, Xavier and Notre Dame are long gone also.

The good news is the NBA is on TV just about every night. My guess is Ohio State is on more than Dayton. So there is basketball on TV. I don't like the changes to Dayton in that they became elite Oakwood rich pay per view. They can keep it. Since they are NOT on TV last few years, I am no longer a Fan, that is as dead as my Dad who watched in 50's and 60's. I can't be a Fan if they are not on TV for me to watch.

So changes made by UD athletic department on TV have decided they don't care if I get to watch them or not. They who are too elite to play local Wright State. Yet Notre Dame, Marquette, Xavier feel they are too elite now to play Dayton. Gone also are Louisville, Cincinnati and Miami Ohio every year. The Dayton schedule is not as good as it was. However there is more NBA on TV than in 1960's, 1970's, 1980's. I'm sure Ohio State on a lot. So who needs the UD Flyers. So Long Rudy, it was good to know you. So long Rudy, it was good to know you.

I'm in NBA Fantasy teams for free for first time. I've been in baseball and football just a couple years now. I don't know any of the NBA players but I'm not doing bad. I'm trying to have depth at every position but also try to have players that average 20 Fantasy Points a Game, or close to it. Be it MLB, NFL or NBA, it's a good way for a guy like me turning 65 to know all the new players of TODAY. I think already Toronto will miss Towns at Center greatly. I didn't know who he was before I got into this thing.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 07:17 PM)kevin Wrote: I go back to last years of Tom Blackburn as a kid.  Then all of Don Donoher years.  They came on WHIO Channel 7 TV CBS in Dayton Ohio.  My Dad watched them, so did all the family. As a kid, the Royals were never on TV and might as well have been in China. The UD Flyers were on TV.  That was our TV basketball in Dayton, Oakwood, Kettering, Miamisburg, Huber Heights.  I thought the TV coverage became great in early 1980s with color broadcast and a good team of Chapman, Toney,  They went NCAA a lot and went deep to Final 8.   Don Donoher was a great coach per Bobby Knight and John Wooden and he made some deep NCAA runs at National Championship as a Cinderella Team against the Bigger School Powers. The Flyers on TV were good.

Now in 2020 season, The Dayton Flyers are on TV as kind of a Pay Per View deal.   If your cable or satellite offers it, you can pay much extra for channel they show some Dayton games on.  My answer is NO.  I'm not going Pay Per View on the UD Flyers.  

So the days of UD Flyers on TV are OVER.   Really it went down hill when they left WHIO 7 and went to Fox Ohio and now to a weird Pay Per View some companies don't even offer.  The days of Dayton playing Marquette, Xavier and Notre Dame are long gone also.  

The good news is the NBA is on TV just about every night.  My guess is Ohio State is on more than Dayton.  So there is basketball on TV.  I don't like the changes to Dayton in that they became elite Oakwood rich pay per view. They can keep it.  Since they are NOT on TV last few years, I am no longer a Fan, that is as dead as my Dad who watched in 50's and 60's.  I can't be a Fan if they are not on TV for me to watch.  

So changes made by UD athletic department on TV have decided they don't care if I get to watch them or not.  They who are too elite to play local Wright State.  Yet Notre Dame, Marquette, Xavier feel they are too elite now to play Dayton.  Gone also are Louisville, Cincinnati and Miami Ohio every year.  The Dayton schedule is not as good as it was.  However there is more NBA on TV than in 1960's, 1970's, 1980's.  I'm sure Ohio State on a lot.  So who needs the UD Flyers.  So Long Rudy, it was good to know you.  So long Rudy, it was good to know you.

I'm in NBA Fantasy teams for free for first time.  I've been in baseball and football just a couple years now.  I don't know any of the NBA players but I'm not doing bad.  I'm trying to have depth at every position but also try to have players that average 20 Fantasy Points a Game, or close to it.   Be it MLB, NFL or NBA, it's a good way for a guy like me turning 65 to know all the new players of TODAY.  I think already Toronto will miss Towns at Center greatly. I didn't know who he was before I got into this thing.

Do you not have cable? Most of the games as of now are on TV.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 08:28 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Do you not have cable? Most of the games as of now are on TV.

NOT Dayton Flyers.  You have to get a special pay per view for the UD Flyers, and that is just too much.  I miss them on WHIO CBS 7 and later on Fox Ohio.   Pay per view for Dayton Flyers, NO WAY. 

Yes, I have cable and I get a lot of basketball, just not my team Dayton, so I guess they are not my team anymore.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 12:09 AM)kevin Wrote: NOT Dayton Flyers.  You have to get a special pay per view for the UD Flyers, and that is just too much.  I miss them on WHIO CBS 7 and later on Fox Ohio.   Pay per view for Dayton Flyers, NO WAY. 

Yes, I have cable and I get a lot of basketball, just not my team Dayton, so I guess they are not my team anymore.

https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2019-20

You will see they are on Spectrum1 (channel 1), FS Ohio, NBCSN, CBSSN, ESPN2, ESPNU. There are a couple that appear not to be televised and a couple TBD but most are televised.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2019, 12:28 AM)cinci4life Wrote: https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2019-20

You will see they are on Spectrum1 (channel 1), FS Ohio, NBCSN, CBSSN, ESPN2, ESPNU. There are a couple that appear not to be televised and a couple TBD but most are televised.

Thanks.  I pulled up Google looking and it showed weird channel pay per view.    I get all or most of these channels.  I was 2nd, 3rd & 4th grade living next to UD from 1962 to 1965, Stonemill Road.  My Great Grandparents house. It's all UD Students now, it was a mix of students & families then.  So it was like growing up on UD Campus and as a kid you would see the basketball players at the store.  .....That's a lot of years ago, but I would still like to see them.   I get Spectrum 1 and I had no idea they had anything like this on it.  A new channel  I never watch.  I will watch them play Indiana State this Saturday on it.  OK, Larry Bird long gone, but UD couldn't beat him anyway.  UD vs Indiana State, that's a good UD game on TV.  

Thanks For the info......Googling up Dayton Flyers on TV, all internet showed was a weird pay per view channel.  What you gave me is good info off computer.   I bet a lot of older UD Fans who watched them for years on Dayton CBS Channel 7 for decades think they are now off TV ....You do have to hunt for which channel now, but they are on.   Hopefully this Spectrum picks up were Channel 7 left off and the big TV sponsor Casano's Pizza. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The University of Dayton and Wright State University have played in the Gem City Jam eight times with UD leading the series 5-3. WSU games are not on pay per view.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2019, 11:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The University of Dayton and Wright State University have played in the Gem City Jam eight times with UD leading the series 5-3.  WSU games are not on pay per view.
Neither are UD as pointed out on here. UD has many games on TV. 

Wright State just had a big win at Miami of Ohio in Oxford,  a place UD had a hard time winning at over the years.  

Wright State has been in the NCAA and actually had a good run in NCAA Tourney.  UD can no longer say there is no point to playing Wright State and they aren't good enough for Dayton to play.   UD is stupid not to jump on this game every year because there is no travel expense for either team.  Play one year at Dayton Arena, next year at Nutter Center, and keep switching, but never any travel time or expense for either team or fans.  Since UD lost so many old rivalry games such as Notre Dame, Marquette, DePaul, Toledo, Louisville, Cincinnati, Xavier, Mimi of Ohio,  teams they played every year for decades,  it makes sense to now add Wright State who never wanted series to end. 

I'll be honest, the teams left in Atlantic 10 mean nothing to me.   I wish UD would join the MAC and play Miami, Ohio, Bowling Green, Akron and such.  They won't because Atlantic 10 still has some other Catholic Schools left, not many, but a few.   For the Catholic Only Fans, maybe these schools need to sit down and come up with a Catholic Conference with or without Notre Dame, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier.   Maybe they could get Holy Cross and Loyola to join some of the Catholic teams from A 10.   Don't rule out Brooklyn's St Francis or Sacred Heart.   The A 10 as it is, just doesn't jive anymore with Xavier and Temple and other schools gone.  You have Catholic Dayton playing some East Coast Catholic Schools with Non Catholic East Coast Schools mixed in.   Dayton is not near the Atlantic.  Dayton has no Ocean beaches or coast line.  I think Dayton joined to at least keep Xavier games, but they are gone.

In future I hope Dayton gets into something more Ohio area OR more all Catholic schools new conference.  They need to start playing Wright State to give the Fans a local rivalry game, with Xavier and others gone. 

While Dayton is in A 10, they need to cut down on travel expense with some local area teams, and it's silly not to have the Dayton Cross Town Shoot Out.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I remember watching all the games on local TV with my dad back in the 70's. I went to many of the home games as a student in the 80's and alumni in the 90's But haven't got to see my beloved Flyers as much since I moved out here in '04. Sad
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
The TV listing thing posted, I clicked, saved and have been using. I gave Rep Points for that,

I really enjoyed this Thanksgiving Week as Dayton took on Chaminade, Brigham Young, UCLA, Michigan State, Georgia, Virginia Tech and Kansas in Maui Tourney on ESPN. Dayton beat Georgia by around 20 points. Then Virginia Tech who beat Michigan State lost to Dayton by around 20 points. The Championship with Kansas went back and forth. Kansas had to go into Overtime to get a win over Dayton. The announcers issued a Warning for college basketball in, " Watch out for Dayton this year, this is a great team ". They were most impressed by 6'9" tall Obi Toppin, who announcers say will be an NBA draft pick and will be playing a lot in the NBA. He is quick, fast, dunks, hits the 3, most important runs up and down court as you have to in NBA. He has a Lebron James non stop motor to him, as the NBA requires. Dayton has many other good players, it's the NBA bound Toppin stands out.

I also like the coach. Donoher played for Blackburn. Now we have Antony Grant who played for Donoher. Bobby Knight use to show Donoher Dayton film to Indiana on how to play Defense. Grant has that Defense back. I like that they have went back a little to Blackburn and Donoher with Grant. Grant was on those Chapman teams under Donoher that went to Final 8 in NCAA in 1983-1984 season. Grant is his own man, don't get me wrong, but he does come from Donoher who came from Blackburn, so it is a return to what we knew as UD BASKETBALL.

Dayton plays like Seniors as they make good crisp passes and run plays like Seniors. They do not look like high school ball Freshmen. Dayton beat the heck out of Georgia and Virginia Tech and took Kansas into Overtime with what the ESPN announcers called, " GREAT BASKETBALL. Great passes. GREAT BASKETBALL. A well seasoned, well coached team that should be TOP 20 in Nation. " .
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote