Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeAngelo Williams could pick up the blitz.
Can his back up.   Many times the difference between the starting RB and the guy on the bench is pas blocking.  If The Steelers back up RBs can't pick up the blitz Bengals may bring more pressure than usual.

I understand that a 4-3 team has to be able to get pressure with just the front four, but when you spot a weakness you need to exploit it.

I expect Ben to throw the ball 50 times this game.  He has already done that twice this year.  He has throw the ball 35+ times in 8 of his 12 starts.  Over the last three weeks the Steelers have had the worst run game in the league, so I think he will just come out throwing it all over the place.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Can his back up.   Many times the difference between the starting RB and the guy on the bench is pas blocking.  If The Steelers back up RBs can't pick up the blitz Bengals may bring more pressure than usual.

I understand that a 4-3 team has to be able to get pressure with just the front four, but when you spot a weakness you need to exploit it.

I expect Ben to throw the ball 50 times this game.  He has already done that twice this year.  He has throw the ball 35+ times in 8 of his 12 starts.  Over the last three weeks the Steelers have had the worst run game in the league, so I think he will just come out throwing it all over the place.

When teams blitz against the Steelers Ben usually picks them apart, but that is because both
Bell and DeAngelo were very good at picking up the blitz. This definately changes our strategy
a bit. Before the Williams injury i would have said to keep up what we have been doing against
the Steelers but this does change things.

We should blitz more tonight than we normally would against these guys.
Reply/Quote
He has little choice other than to air it out. I'd be surprised if they have an effective run game tonight. IMO
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hope he can't block or hold onto the ball
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 04:01 PM)M.W. Wrote: I hope he can't block or hold onto the ball

X2 !
Reply/Quote
I dont know Fred, we have to watch the game and find out.

Any more questions Fred?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 04:18 PM)Element Wrote: I dont know Fred, we have to watch the game and find out.

Any more questions Fred?

The purpose of posts in JN are to spur discussion, if you don't have anything to add - why reply? Lol.

I also expect Ben to throw the ball. The Bengals, defending 4+ WR sets, are next to last in the league. Not sure if that's a secret or what, but it's likely teams don't want to get into 4-5 WR sets against the Bengals because the front line is going to eat them alive. There aren't a lot of stats on the Bengals in 4+ WR but the results are not good. We can't get into a shootout (although I think the Bengals can put up 30 if A. Jones participates in ST, but we don't want the game to be close of course!)
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Touissant is supposed to be a decent pass protection back. We'll see.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 04:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: Touissant is supposed to be a decent pass protection back. We'll see.

I know nothing about him but if this is true we should stick to what we have been doing.

Rush our front 4 and make the Pig check it down.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad the Steelers are down their top 2 RBs, but we're a year removed from 2 nobodies running all over us. We shall see!
Reply/Quote
We blitz the steelers 7% of the time.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 04:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: Touissant is supposed to be a decent pass protection back. We'll see.

As long as we don't take their run game lightly, and be prepared to be tested, we will see how good his pass-protection really is ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 04:20 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: There aren't a lot of stats on the Bengals in 4+ WR but the results are not good.

What do you mean by "a lot".

I find it hard to believe that a pass defesne as efficient as ours was next to last defending 4 WR sets.
Reply/Quote
'Taze em.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 04:20 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The purpose of posts in JN are to spur discussion, if you don't have anything to add - why reply? Lol.

I am sure other people don't notice it, but there is a pretty set pattern for Elements response to anything I post. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 05:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you mean by "a lot".

I find it hard to believe that a pass defesne as efficient as ours was next to last defending 4 WR sets.

I think they were 15/22 with 250+ yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT against 4WR+ which ranked them as next to last. Whatever article I read it in inferred teams don't try to do 4WR+ on the Bengals, even though they are not good at defending it according to the stats. 
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Can his back up.   Many times the difference between the starting RB and the guy on the bench is pas blocking.  If The Steelers back up RBs can't pick up the blitz Bengals may bring more pressure than usual.

Disguised blitzing yes, excessive blitzing of Ben would end in disaster. They have serious playmakers at WR, dump off passes would doom ud
Reply/Quote
I hope he fumbles it twice.
Reply/Quote
I see what you mean Fred. We need to exploit every weakness they have. I'm sure we will blitz often unless we get burned. If that happens, I hope we change our strategy and stick to what works. We came out HOT against Denver. I think our defense got tired under the "mile high" circumstances. We will come out HOT again tonight and our guys will make it 4qtrs. HOWEVER, if we come out and gain a pretty good lead, I fear Marvin changing the game plan to conservative, which will be the end of our season.

Reply/Quote