Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeMaurice Smith wants to do away with NFL Combine
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/executive-director-nflpa-calls-end-scouting-combine-2023-02-09/

Quote:"We're now in an era where we know exactly how fast these guys can run, how much they can lift, how far they can jump, do all of those things. Why do we insist on them showing up in Indianapolis?" Smith told reporters in Phoenix, ahead of Super Bowl 57.

"It's for the teams to be able to engage in intrusive employment actions that don't exist anywhere else."

I actually disagree with part of Smith's comment.
He says we know exactly how fast these guys can run, lift, jump, etc.
But there's an asterisk with that.
The nice thing about the Combine is it's a neutral field that everyone is performing on.
And timing is lasered, not hand-timed.

I actually think Pro Days are a waste, personally.
They favor the player too much.
Field/track the player is used to, QBs/receivers the player is used to playing with.
Speed is based on the individual with the stopwatch, which is going to be slightly different for every person.

The Combine, to me, is a better comparison between players of different schools because it removes some variables.

If they want to remove the Q&A portion of the Combine and just have the drills, I'd be ok with that.
But I like most of the prospects performing on the same field and drills with players they don't know.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Agreed that Pro Days aren't anywhere near as useful as the Combine. The only problem with calling Pro Days a waste is that the Combine is invite-only, and not everyone gets invited. Tyreek Hill and Adam Thielen for example didn't get invited to the Combine. In 2020, there were 23 guys drafted that weren't invited to the Combine (and 105 players who WERE invited to the Combine and didn't get drafted).

So perhaps they need to even add an extra day or two, split it up by position even further, and invite more people to actually expand the Combine? Then we could potentially get rid of Pro Days.

Also saw where he complains about the medical part, which I think is THE most important part of it all.

There was around $350m given out in signing bonuses alone in just the 1st round of the 2022 draft. Nobody is getting that if you can't even make sure the guy has functioning knees, back, eyes, shoulders, etc. No Combine would absolutely crush the value of anyone who has ANY college injuries, because that's way too large of a gamble if you just don't know.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Teams don’t even have accurate height and weight measurements on many of the players. And it’s a centralized pre-participation sports physical.

The ridiculous question that are rumored to sometimes be asked during the interviews are unprofessional. Smith has a point regarding that behavior. But, not about the on field drills and physicals. But, I understand why he is saying it.
Reply/Quote
A Lawyer telling other people how to do their job. Shocker...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
At this point, I'm assuming the combine is more of a business decision to generate hype in the NFL product. The league and owners probably love the money attached to it being popular among media and fans.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 12:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Agreed that Pro Days aren't anywhere near as useful as the Combine. The only problem with calling Pro Days a waste is that the Combine is invite-only, and not everyone gets invited. Tyreek Hill and Adam Thielen for example didn't get invited to the Combine. In 2020, there were 23 guys drafted that weren't invited to the Combine (and 105 players who WERE invited to the Combine and didn't get drafted).

So perhaps they need to even add an extra day or two, split it up by position even further, and invite more people to actually expand the Combine? Then we could potentially get rid of Pro Days.

Also saw where he complains about the medical part, which I think is THE most important part of it all.

There was around $350m given out in signing bonuses alone in just the 1st round of the 2022 draft. Nobody is getting that if you can't even make sure the guy has functioning knees, back, eyes, shoulders, etc. No Combine would absolutely crush the value of anyone who has ANY college injuries, because that's way too large of a gamble if you just don't know.

Good point in that some players don't get a chance to attend the Combine.
I should have specified that I felt it was a waste if the player also was invited to the Combine.
For players that didn't, I can understand having the Pro Day.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It's a money maker for the NFL so it won't go away.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 01:34 PM)J24 Wrote: It's a money maker for the NFL so it won't go away.

The loss of revenue from the event itself is one thing, but then you factor in all of the hype and fanfare associated with the scouting combine, and it would definitely cost the NFL collateral losses down the line.  You start disenfranchising you audience, the one's who buy tickets, merchandise, pay for viewing packages, it all adds up.

I would imagine that would go over real well in the next CBA negotiations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure it's not mandatory.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 10:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Good point in that some players don't get a chance to attend the Combine.
I should have specified that I felt it was a waste if the player also was invited to the Combine.
For players that didn't, I can understand having the Pro Day.
Some players don't have the best Combine but have their Pro Days as a backup (or vice-versa) or just don't feel comfortable outside of their comfort zone in catching passes from players that they're uncomfortable with or how the drills are set-up. There's a million different variables that make sense as to why a player might want to have both.

You could say you want the player to be able to show that they can perform in foreign environments, but they'll always be in the same system and catching balls or working with the same teammates (unless they're traded).
(02-10-2023, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure it's not mandatory.

Definitely not mandatory and plenty of players turn down the Combine invite.
Reply/Quote
It's optional and many players skip it even though they've been invited.

Don't see anything wrong with it and it would hurt many players if done away with. There is always players that jump up several rounds earlier because they've had great combines.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The combine isn't what it once was. A lot of top players don't attend, even the ones who do only do a couple of the tests. Even pro days are losing steam. A good chunk of top guys conduct their own pro days to make themselves look as good as possible. 

Right now, the combine is good at letting some mid-round and late round players show off their athleticism and make teams re-evaluate their tape.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 08:06 PM)Go Cards Wrote: It's optional and many players skip it even though they've been invited.

Don't see anything wrong with it and it would hurt many players if done away with. There is always players that jump up several rounds earlier because they've had great combines.

Just ask Jelani Woods who got drafted way earlier than he would without the Combine and he had a pretty good rookie season.

As Synric said, a lawyer telling other people how to do their job lol

The Combine is extremely entertaining in the Offseason, this dude must just hate football or somethin'.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just ask Jelani Woods who got drafted way earlier than he would without the Combine and he had a pretty good rookie season.

As Synric said, a lawyer telling other people how to do their job lol

The Combine is extremely entertaining in the Offseason, this dude must just hate football or somethin'.

DeMaurice Smith is focusing specifically on the fact that some teams are asking what some would consider inappropriate questions.
But those questions can be asked at a Pro Day too, or for a personal visit.
It's not exclusive to just the Combine.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 07:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: DeMaurice Smith is focusing specifically on the fact that some teams are asking what some would consider inappropriate questions.
But those questions can be asked at a Pro Day too, or for a personal visit.
It's not exclusive to just the Combine.

Okay, well that is more understandable then just doing away with the Combine...
Reply/Quote